Layers in C1 impossible to copy to a PSD?

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Layers in C1 impossible to copy to a PSD?

Postby NNN636763483034247707 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:50 pm

Hello all from Spain. I switched to C1 after some years of Lightroom. I think I almost have my workflow but something is making me crazy.

I do RAW to C1, then PS, and then final touch in C1 again.

My big issue is that in final touches in C1 over the PSD file when I want to copy the adjustments from my first retouch to any other PSD of the same serie, all the adjustments are perfectly copied but the adjustement layers are not copied.

I mean... adjustement layers cannot be transferred from one PSD to another (I am talking about C1 layers, no Photoshop layers).

So, my final retouch that normally includes gradient and radial layers cannot be copied to the rest of the PSD

This doesn't happen between raws. Only between PSD. Many thanks for your help!!!!
am I doing something wrong?.

Many thanks in advance!
NNN636763483034247707

Re: Layers in C1 impossible to copy to a PSD?

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:12 am

A Capture One layer does not transfer to a layer in PSD or other file format when you process the image in Capture One. Layers in Capture One and in Photoshop or any process file format are not exchangeable.

Layers in Capture One carry Capture One adjustments that only have effect in Capture One and are applied when you process the image in Capture One.

Once you processed a raw image in Capture One and make additional adjustments in Photoshop, what would you like to fine tune in Capture One? Just curious.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NNN636763483034247707 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:36 pm

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:A Capture One layer does not transfer to a layer in PSD or other file format when you process the image in Capture One. Layers in Capture One and in Photoshop or any process file format are not exchangeable.

Layers in Capture One carry Capture One adjustments that only have effect in Capture One and are applied when you process the image in Capture One.

Once you processed a raw image in Capture One and make additional adjustments in Photoshop, what would you like to fine tune in Capture One? Just curious.

Hi Paul. First of all, many thanks for your answer. The issue I have is not the one you described. English is not my tonge so difficult to explain myself.
Forget layers inside Photoshop. I want to copy layers "in C1" over a PSD, to other PSD (but in C1 interface, not inside the PSD)
Do this test to see what I mean.
1.- Take to PSD in C1 and make some adjustments in one of them (exposure, levels, clarity, AND SOME LAYERS"
2.- Copy all the adjustments from this PSD to the other PSD
3.- You will realize that all the adjustmens are perfectly applied to the second PSD, but "NO LAYERS"
You cannot even copy one single adjustment layer to other PSD file.

Hope it makes sense now.

Answering your questions. I do that a lot when editing vairous picutres of the same series. After editing I can see any minor colour tweak. Or I want to add any vigneting, color grading or gradient to all the series. In that case, I will need to do the gradient one by one just because it cannot synchornize adjustment layers between PSD files.

Kind regards
NNN636763483034247707

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:40 pm

I understand you better now and I can explain why it is happening (or not).

An adjustments mask is based on the resolution of the image it is based on. You can copy it to other images with the same pixel dimensions. Typically, RAW files of the same camera apply.

Your processed images most probably have different dimensions. Therefore, you can not copy a layer with a mask from one to another. In case they are identical in pixels length and width, it also works with PSD.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NNN636763483034247707 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:36 pm

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:I understand you better now and I can explain why it is happening (or not).

An adjustments mask is based on the resolution of the image it is based on. You can copy it to other images with the same pixel dimensions. Typically, RAW files of the same camera apply.

Your processed images most probably have different dimensions. Therefore, you can not copy a layer with a mask from one to another. In case they are identical in pixels length and width, it also works with PSD.

Exactly!!!! That is absolutelly the reason. I have been asking this in many many places, and this is the only time someone told me the real reason. Many thanks.
Even if it is a very bad new for me (I really speed up my workflow a lot that way in Lightroom), at least now, I know the reason.
I would include this in future versions. Even the pictures have different resolution or aspect ratio, it could be proporcional to the canvas and most of radial and graduated filters, will work weil in other pictures.
Again... thanks for your answer and help

Kind regards
NNN636763483034247707

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration