Capture 1 and Photoshop together more than one round trip?

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Capture 1 and Photoshop together more than one round trip?

Postby NNN636541837799049271 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:03 am

Hello. I am new to Capture One 12 and Photoshop.

I have been watching youtube videos to learn HDR Photoshop composting. I have learned how to edit the raw file in Capture One, transfer via a tiff to Photoshop and transfer back to Capture One for final processing.

My problem is that all of the videos I am learning from on Kelbyone use about 20 layers on photoshop and smart objects also use adobe camera raw many times throughout the process. I am trying to use Capture One instead of camera raw but my problem is after I transfer my tiff file back into Capture one, make some changes and transfer back into the Photoshop for round two, my layers have all been flattened it seems. Does this mean that only one round trip is possible?
NNN636541837799049271

Re: Capture 1 and Photoshop together more than one round tri

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:20 pm

If you want to preserve your Photoshop layers, do not process the TIF file with Capture One.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Capture 1 and Photoshop together more than one round tri

Postby cdc » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:47 pm

When you save your HDR Tiff from Photoshop back into Capture One then make more adjustments the only way to see the second round of CO's adjustments in Photoshop again is for Capture One to create another Tiff, which flattens the layers. You can reopen the original Tiff in photoshop and you will see all of the layers but you will not see the adjustments you've made in Capture One.
cdc

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration