hi guys, i have a quesion

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

hi guys, i have a quesion

Postby NN636837390644686986UL » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:35 am

Question:
How to move a variant of a photo to another album without copying all the other variants along with the original image as well?

I do a lot of Headshots and provide my clients mostly with 3 different crops of one image. When I have my final images and do the 2 other variants I want to organize them in different locations/albums like an place where all the tight cropped images are a place where all the original crop is and so on. In LR I used for this the collections where I had 3 different folders for each cropping variant/virtual copy of the image.

Is this possible somehow? Because like now I copy an variant and have to delete all the other variants each time which gets a little bit cumbersome.

(I'm on a Mac Using Capture One 9)

Thank you!
NN636837390644686986UL

Re: hi guys, i have a quesion

Postby IanL » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:34 pm

Sadly no.

There are plenty of features I'd like to see. This is one that I think was not done properly. Adding specific variants to albums that match them *is* a requirement of a feature like that IMHO. At any rate it is not there currently. May I suggest logging a support case requesting this be added. Phase One monitors the number of requests something gets so it could actually help.
IanL

Re: hi guys, i have a quesion

Postby SFA » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:04 pm

NN636837390644686986UL wrote:Question:
How to move a variant of a photo to another album without copying all the other variants along with the original image as well?

I do a lot of Headshots and provide my clients mostly with 3 different crops of one image. When I have my final images and do the 2 other variants I want to organize them in different locations/albums like an place where all the tight cropped images are a place where all the original crop is and so on. In LR I used for this the collections where I had 3 different folders for each cropping variant/virtual copy of the image.

Is this possible somehow? Because like now I copy an variant and have to delete all the other variants each time which gets a little bit cumbersome.

(I'm on a Mac Using Capture One 9)

Thank you!

This sound like you are duplicating the original image which may be excessive in terms of storage requirements.

I would assume that you wish to processes images out to different folders according the crop - so 3 folders for 3 different crops.

Are the output file dimension different as well? Or are all crops produced to the same size?

And then there is the option to see them in Capture One in sets by Crop1, Crop2 and Crop3.

I can't recall whether there are significant differences between C1 V9 and later versions but for example in V11 the Token offers some considerable flexibility for automating output to group images into folders.

So, for example, you can use the Variant Position (1,2,3, etc.) as the basis for creating a folder for the output. So long as your different crops are created as variants in a consistent order then the output process grouping within a recipe would put them in the appropriate folder.

More commonly used, since it has dual purpose, might be a colour tag since each variant has its own colour tag.

Again your output could use the colour tag to create separate folders.

This could also be an identifier that would work with Smart Albums to select variants by colour tag.

For Smart Albums (but not process recipe output) you could also use a keyword - crop1, crop2, crop3 for example - and select variants accordingly. Applying the keywords to all variants, selected by Variant Position, would be quick and easy.

There are, potentially, a number of other alternatives to make the task easier than it seems to be at the moment based on the principles described but perhaps using different metadata fields or, for output, multiple process recipes (especially if you wish to offer different sizes as well as different crops). However it may be best to avoid making these initial suggestions over complicated at this time.

I would add that these are options that I THINK you should be able to apply in V9 BUT, if not, you may need to consider the need to upgrade. The token system has been enhanced a few times since it was introduced and details may vary.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration