Saving Edits to Sidecar XMP (or Other) NOT Preset or Style

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Saving Edits to Sidecar XMP (or Other) NOT Preset or Style

Postby NNN636829526300953877 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:11 am

I am currently running the 30 day trial of Capture One to determine if it's for me. I come from Photoshop CS6 but that no longer has support for my new Sony RAW files so I am "single" again looking to meet the right software. :wink: I am running Windows 10 and only edit a handful of pictures per week.

My big question is, is it possible to save a list of the edits made to a single RAW file as a sidecar XMP (or other) file the way you do with PhotoShop? I've googled this every way I can think and I just keep getting directions to create presets or styles, but I don't want a preset or style for every single picture I ever edit. I don't really understand the Capture One "sessions" or "catalog" yet. I expect that's how it's done, but I prefer to keep the edits with the RAW file, not in some catalog that buries the edits where they could somehow become dissociated or lost if I were to, for example, build a new computer and have to copy over all of my files.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
NNN636829526300953877

Re: Saving Edits to Sidecar XMP (or Other) NOT Preset or Sty

Postby SFA » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:28 am

NNN636829526300953877 wrote:I am currently running the 30 day trial of Capture One to determine if it's for me. I come from Photoshop CS6 but that no longer has support for my new Sony RAW files so I am "single" again looking to meet the right software. :wink: I am running Windows 10 and only edit a handful of pictures per week.

My big question is, is it possible to save a list of the edits made to a single RAW file as a sidecar XMP (or other) file the way you do with PhotoShop? I've googled this every way I can think and I just keep getting directions to create presets or styles, but I don't want a preset or style for every single picture I ever edit. I don't really understand the Capture One "sessions" or "catalog" yet. I expect that's how it's done, but I prefer to keep the edits with the RAW file, not in some catalog that buries the edits where they could somehow become dissociated or lost if I were to, for example, build a new computer and have to copy over all of my files.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Capture One will never modify an original source file of any file type.

Edits are saved in sidecar files in a catalog folder structure if you use catalogs or in a subfolder of the folder in which your image is located if you use sessions. If you use layers and masks there are separate files for the mask data.

Presets (a single tool) or styles (multiple tools) are basically shortcuts to store adjustments you may wish to use repeatedly and they either add or perhaps supersede (your choice) edits to whichever images you choose to use them for.

If you have not already browsed the Resource Hub for tutorial videos and webinar videos you will likely find it useful to do so.

If you think sessions are the best way to go then you will need a Pro version of Capture One.

Capture One does offer an EIP file option that allows you to save the original file AND all edits, previews, etc., in a single container file. However, as will most if not all RAW converters the edits made (other than metadata) are proprietary and not normally readable and usable by other products. An intermediate option would be a TIFF file.

HTH.

Grant
Last edited by SFA on Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
SFA

Re: Saving Edits to Sidecar XMP (or Other) NOT Preset or Sty

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:27 am

NNN636829526300953877 wrote:My big question is, is it possible to save a list of the edits made to a single RAW file as a sidecar XMP (or other) file the way you do with PhotoShop?

Capture One stores your adjustments in a settings file, when working with sessions. This is not and XMP file but the idea is similar. The setting files are stored in a subfolder of the image folder. Each image has its own associated settings file.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration