Exporting benchmarks v2

General discussion regarding photography practices and Capture One workflow as well as integration with third party applications.
Please DO NOT post to this thread regarding OS specific concerns or questions.
Forum rules
For the sake of being thorough, please remember to note if you are using Mac or Windows.
Hopefully this will keep any confusion to a minimum.

Re: Exporting benchmarks v2

Postby WPNL » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:29 pm

Did anybody try what the effect is when disabling the integrated graphics on their Core-iX ... ?
I went from 50 (ON) seconds to 40(,2ish) (OFF) seconds.
I had it turned of and figured letting the IG help it might be faster but the opposite seems to be the case.
Tested several times and it was no one-time-event.

Edit: Of course I mean only the CPU's with integrated graphics.
Last edited by WPNL on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
WPNL

Postby Chad Dahlquist » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:52 pm

StephanR wrote:Here the results with my extra program:
TIF uncompressed 8 Bit -> open with to jpg CPU+GPU - 27s
TIF uncompressed 8 Bit -> open with to jpg CPU only - 88s
As you can see the speed with GPU is only 1s slower then only the TIF conversion.
Even the CPU only test is faster (all cores are running around 100%) as the jpg conversion in CO1
And as you can see my AMD 280x is very old in comparison to a NVidia 1080.

curious if you run your program what is the file size KB etc.. vs running the same image at %100 through C1 ?
if its smaller KB kinda curious what % on the scale out of C1 makes them the same size and then what are the times for that %

hope that makes sense what I am asking :)
Chad Dahlquist

Postby Tom-D » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:41 am

NNN636355020530937144 wrote:
Tom-D wrote:Switched From Vega FE to P5000 last week, the Vega was the most Buggy GPU i've ever had, did have Problems also with my Two Firepro W8100, after 4 Years of Trying Radeon i will never go back to it.

The P5000 is Rock Stable and i did not hear it.

I did have exactly opposite experience, moving from Quadro (last 10-15 years on Quadro) to Vega FE (with past FirePro cards I did also have lot of problems). What kind of problems you had?

Thats funny.

Im working in 10bit (Photoshop), after turing 10 bit on a color in Bridge (Loading Bar), HWInfo (selected data) and Photoshop (Menu) turned to orange instead of blue.

After installing Adrenalin driver 17.12.1(2) i could not install other drivers without this failure.
Even my FirePros were affected.

And my second monitor does flicker with the Vega Fe, then after switching to Quadro and using the Vega FE @ home the flickering was also present on my gaming PC.

It went to RMA and now i've my money back.

Now with the P5000 all is working fine, and i'm able to reinstall the drivers without turning 10 bit off, @ Radeon this caused often the failure of colors but i could fix this by reinstall the driver turn it off and then turn it on after install.
Win 10 x64, Intel 7820X, 64 GB Ram 2666mhz, Quadro RTX 5000, M.2 2x 1 TB PCI-E.
Tom-D

Postby NNN636355020530937144 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:47 am

Tom-D wrote:Thats funny.

Im working in 10bit (Photoshop), after turing 10 bit on a color in Bridge (Loading Bar), HWInfo (selected data) and Photoshop (Menu) turned to orange instead of blue.

After installing Adrenalin driver 17.12.1(2) i could not install other drivers without this failure.

And my second monitor does flicker with the Vega Fe, then after switching to Quadro and using the Vega FE @ home the flickering was also present on my gaming PC.

Just to clarify, did you have this problem with the Enterprise drivers also?

I tested same thing on my workstation and did not have any problems with the Enterprise drivers. I have not tried Adrenalin drivers.

I've got only one hiccup on my 2-3months of use, once after update Photoshop was unable to use GPU acceleration and disabled it during startup. I restarted photoshop and activated GPU acceleration and then it worked fine.

I have not used dual monitors as C1 slowed down noticeably when I tested briefly (now running single 4k screen)
NNN636355020530937144

Postby photoGrant » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:10 pm

WPNL wrote:Did anybody try what the effect is when disabling the integrated graphics on their Core i7/i9 ... ?
I had it turned of and figured letting the IG help it might be faster but the opposite seems to be the case.

Somewhat grounded theory that the bottleneck in your system is the CPU and throttling it with its iGPU enabled is what's bringing your numbers up.
Grant Hodgeon
Digital Imaging Technician
North America | Europe

http://www.photogrant.com
photoGrant

Postby Tom-D » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:03 pm

NNN636355020530937144 wrote:
Tom-D wrote:Thats funny.

Just to clarify, did you have this problem with the Enterprise drivers also?

I tested same thing on my workstation and did not have any problems with the Enterprise drivers. I have not tried Adrenalin drivers.

I've got only one hiccup on my 2-3months of use, once after update Photoshop was unable to use GPU acceleration and disabled it during startup. I restarted photoshop and activated GPU acceleration and then it worked fine.

I have not used dual monitors as C1 slowed down noticeably when I tested briefly (now running single 4k screen)

I didn't use the Gaming drivers, they don't have a Deep Color Option for OpenGL, Gaming Drivers do offer Deep Color for Direct X.

Never Never install Adrenalin Pro driver, bevore all was fine.

Our Second Workstation, same as mine but with FirePro W8100, does also deactivate the GPU now and then in Photoshop, Lightroom makes also now and then Problems (Freeze up, hanging).

We will change to P4000 on our Second Workstation.
Tom-D

Postby CraigJohn » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:25 pm

WPNL wrote:Did anybody try what the effect is when disabling the integrated graphics on their Core i7/i9 ... ?

I don't believe the Skylake X CPUs have integrated graphics.
CraigJohn

Postby 6BQ5 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:39 pm

Sorry to sound like a goofball here ... but how are people collecting these very precise times? Are you just using a simple stop watch or is there something in C1 that reports this?
Boris

See my photos on flickr : https://www.flickr.com/photos/50111087@N05/
6BQ5

Postby Chad Dahlquist » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:58 pm

6BQ5 wrote:Sorry to sound like a goofball here ... but how are people collecting these very precise times? Are you just using a simple stop watch or is there something in C1 that reports this?

I just use my phone timer and click together and when I see it stop click again :) why I joked about finger lag :) but reality is should not be more than a second and if you do it 3x you get a good avg idea and mine I just round to the second for good enough

way back in the day I did a bunch of LR tests to compare the sliders being useable and I did video capture and used the time code :) which is a solid way of doing things

on say 100 files I can always look at the create time on the first and last file and do the math again close enough

at least me I am looking at this knowing their will be a second or so error and its a good ballpark idea of how hardware is working etc..
Chad Dahlquist

Postby Tom-D » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:14 pm

6BQ5 wrote:Sorry to sound like a goofball here ... but how are people collecting these very precise times? Are you just using a simple stop watch or is there something in C1 that reports this?

I use Adobe Bride, i collecting the Time when the File was created, I take them off from each other.

Totay i tested a NVMe SSD for Bench & Testing, Read 3000 MB Write 2400 MB, there wasn't a single benefit from running the Benchmark and using the Software, i got exact the same Times for Jpeg and Tiff, so safe your money.

Drive: Corsair MP500 120GB.
Tom-D

Postby CraigJohn » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:56 pm

WOW! I'm wildly shocked an NVMe wouldn't offer writing speed benefit.

You have the 7820x as well, don't you?
CraigJohn

Postby Tom-D » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:59 pm

CraigJohn wrote:WOW! I'm wildly shocked an NVMe wouldn't offer writing speed benefit.

You have the 7820x as well, don't you?

Yes i have, two cores 4.5ghz, 6 Cores 4.3ghz.

Limited to 150watts, 140watts is stock.
Tom-D

Postby WPNL » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:24 am

CraigJohn wrote:

I don't believe the Skylake X CPUs have integrated graphics.

Excuse me. I've rephrased my post to prevent further confusion ;-)
WPNL

Postby 6BQ5 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:26 pm

Chad Dahlquist wrote:

I just use my phone timer and click together and when I see it stop click again :) why I joked about finger lag :) but reality is should not be more than a second and if you do it 3x you get a good avg idea and mine I just round to the second for good enough

way back in the day I did a bunch of LR tests to compare the sliders being useable and I did video capture and used the time code :) which is a solid way of doing things

on say 100 files I can always look at the create time on the first and last file and do the math again close enough

at least me I am looking at this knowing their will be a second or so error and its a good ballpark idea of how hardware is working etc..

OK, here goes!

I have a mid-2011 iMac with a 21.5" screen and 20 GB of RAM.

I downloaded the benchmark images, imported them into C1 v11, and processed them almost according to instructions at the beginning of the thread. The instructions said to use the "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" ICC profile. This profile is available in my (very long) pull-down menu. I used what I always use, "sRGB Color Space Profile".

Exporting the 50 images from my managed catalog to my desktop took 3 minutes and 50 seconds. Maybe 49 seconds when counting finger lag.

C1 does not seem to support the GPU inside my computer so this sounds like 100% CPU.
Boris

See my photos on flickr : https://www.flickr.com/photos/50111087@N05/
6BQ5

Postby CraigJohn » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:07 pm

6BQ5 wrote:OK, here goes!

I have a mid-2011 iMac with a 21.5" screen and 20 GB of RAM.

I downloaded the benchmark images, imported them into C1 v11, and processed them almost according to instructions at the beginning of the thread. The instructions said to use the "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" ICC profile. This profile is available in my (very long) pull-down menu. I used what I always use, "sRGB Color Space Profile".

Exporting the 50 images from my managed catalog to my desktop took 3 minutes and 50 seconds. Maybe 49 seconds when counting finger lag.

C1 does not seem to support the GPU inside my computer so this sounds like 100% CPU.

Not necessarily. My 2009 Mac Pro with the Video Card took 2 minutes and 19 seconds. It took over 7 minutes with CPU only...

I'd say your integrated GPU was working...
CraigJohn

PreviousNext

Return to Workflow and Common Photography Exploration