Migrating from PC to Mac

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

Migrating from PC to Mac

Postby Stephen138 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:43 pm

Hi,

I'm hoping that I can get some advice re my planned move from a Windows-based system to a Mac. I have used Capture One for many years on my PC, from v3 upto v7 (I haven't yet upgraded to v8). I've never used catalogs or sessions; instead I have edited files directly on my harddisk and organised myself that way.

So, some questions:

1) Will C1 v7 or v8 on a Mac read my Capture One files created on my PC? When I looked into this several years ago, I think I recall that C1 files on PC and Mac are stored in different file structures and locations, so it's not just a matter at pointing the Mac at the PC files. I think I recall that I would have had to convert all my files into EIP format on the PC first, which could then be read by the Mac. Is this still the case for v7 or v8? If so, is there a batch tool to convert all my C1 files in a myriad of folders into EIP format? Or is migrating from PC to Mac a lot easier nowadays?

2) I have read about some performance issues with the iMac 5k retina running C1. These seem to date from not long after the iMac 5k was first launched, so are these issues sorted now or do they still exist? If they are sorted then an iMac 5k is my preferred hardware for a new Mac.

3) If there are still issues with the 5k iMac, then I might look at a 15" MacBook Pro with Retina screen. Are there any performance issues that this has with C1 v7/8 nowadays?

Many thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.
Stephen138

Re: Migrating from PC to Mac

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:45 pm

A1. The PC-to-Mac (or vice versa) incompatibilities are from the old days (CO3 and earlier). From CO4 onwards you should be fine. No need to convert to EIP first.

A2/A3. If you are going to a Mac with Retina screen, go for CO8. Buying a new Mac means you need CO8 anyway. I would prefer a MacBook Pro (with additional screen) over an iMac 5K.

When you consider upgrading to CO8, consider consulting an Ambassador (link below) or take a look at a CO8 review like in:
http://imagealchemist.net/capture-one-pro-8-review/
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist, Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Migrating from PC to Mac

Postby Stephen138 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:09 am

Thank you for your reply, that's very helpful and reassuring. I really didn't want to have to convert all my files to EIP to make them work on a Mac!
Stephen138

Return to Capture One 7.x Software