Aperture and Capture One

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

Re: Aperture and Capture One

Postby meanwhile » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:47 am

What worries me is the unexpected gap in the management of key words. The use of Media Pro in direct comparison with Aperture has not become really clear to me.

I am now waiting for what is being proposed here.

Here's the thing. There's no rush. Aperture is a pretty good DAM, and will continue to work with 10.10 Yosemite. Aperture will be a workable professional tool for another year or more.

Not saying that this would work for your workflow, but what I've been doing is continuing to manage the files in Aperture (I prefer Aperture's import folder creation and dating, based around image date rather than import date), and then just do an import of the main directory into Capture One. It picks up any new files and folders, and then I do any image correction, cropping, etc in Capture One.

(Of course, I work with referenced images rather than managed, not sure that would work as well if you used managed images.)

Eventually if/when Capture One catches up the DAM features and keyword management they can be exported out of Aperture with XMP sidecar files, or alternatively, with Photos for OSX shows up next year that can be evaluated as a photo management solution (Aperture libraries will import with keywords, edits, etc intact) and decide then.

The way it's sounding, you'll be able to (for example) search for an image keyword via the OS in Spotlight.
Last edited by meanwhile on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
meanwhile

Postby meanwhile » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:51 am

Also, from another thread on here, it doesn't sound like Media Pro is getting much love. Is it still in active development?
meanwhile

Postby dasle » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:20 pm

hi Bob, I also reviewed several times your blog, as @ LuLa we discussed this issue several times. My request to you, if this would be possible, is to know how to manage the keywords. This is really important and until now I don't find any reference how to do it.
As well, might you know if there are collections and also the best way to edit in Photoshop?
I also bought C1 over the weekend, as I find it more intuitive than Lightroom.

@C1 Team, video capabilities would be great.
dasle

Postby Tommy Weir » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:52 pm

Jeppe, that's great to hear. I have picked up C1 and really like what I see.

Would love a workflow/set of steps looking at transitioning my Aperture Library to Capture 1. I have 55k photos in my Library, all referenced.

If at all possible and I know it's a separate thing and a while away... I would value C1 behaving well with the upcoming Photos.app library somehow.
Tommy Weir

Postby tazthecat » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:18 am

NNN635394991547550905 wrote:Jeppe, that's great to hear. I have picked up C1 and really like what I see.

Would love a workflow/set of steps looking at transitioning my Aperture Library to Capture 1. I have 55k photos in my Library, all referenced.

If at all possible and I know it's a separate thing and a while away... I would value C1 behaving well with the upcoming Photos.app library somehow.

We have an ongoing thread (look for the topic Moving an Aperture library over to Capture One) where we have been discussing using applescript to export a file system hierarchy from Aperture in order to assist in moving the library to C1. I don't know how to link to a topic but it should be easy to find. I just put up a new version of the applescript code that was able to successfully export my Aperture library. It has not been tested by anyone but me so far so you might want to keep an eye on that thread for updates.
tazthecat

Postby FredBGG » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:56 pm

BobRockefeller wrote:
Russkie wrote:
One question though: is it worth adding Media Pro 1 into the mix and integrating it with COP7?

Russell

I'm interested in that, too. C1's catalog is pretty good, but not nearly as feature-rich as Aperture's. Is PhaseONE working to move Media Pro's features into C1? Or is Media Pro a good complement to C1?

Sessions was the way Capture One used to work and recently they added Catalogs. Many people stay away from catalogs as they are a stability issue.
FredBGG

Postby meanwhile » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:57 am

I've only recently come to C1 and have used Catalogs exclusively (for a month or so). I see no reason to use Sessions for my workflow, and have seen zero stability issues. My catalogs aren't huge, biggest around 8,000 images, and I use multiple smaller catalogs rather than one huge one. Maybe there are issues with huge catalogs, or working with multiple catalogs open simultaneously? Not sure.
meanwhile

Postby NNN635022403475152212 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:17 pm

JeppeSkjerning wrote:It’s been four interesting days since Apple announced that they are ceasing to develop Aperture.

For the professional Aperture users who are looking to switch to Capture One Pro 7, we are currently investigating how we can make the transition as smooth as possible.

In addition, we are offering Aperture users a time limited 50% discount on Capture One Pro 7 or Capture One Express 7, when using the voucher “switch50” in our online store.

This is a wonderful news for all Aperture orphans :cry:

CO7 delivers extrordinary image quality which is unparalleled but there are some important features in Aperture that new users will certainly miss

-Clone tool (Please!!!!!)
-Better healing (in C1 is called spot tool)
-No 3rd party publishing plug-in such as Getty images, SmugMug, Zenfolio,etc.
-More mature Catalog (first of all issues free and much faster at importing large number of photos)

Hope v.8 will take care of that :)

Best to all
Ettore
NNN635022403475152212

Postby NN635247238378699468UL » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:09 pm

To "meanwhile" 14/07/03:

Thank You for the comment.
Your proposal to use Aperture as DAM is is interesting, perhaps it will work with the coming photos.app too.

I downloaded Media Pro to test. It has good tools and options but an Aperture user takes time to switch to another philosophy.
I'd rather go and take pictures than invest hours to learn a new software.
Aperture as Dam ? not bad
NN635247238378699468UL

Postby aaprlore » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:25 pm

How about Aperture switchers to Media Pro? Any discount to switch, or should we just use Lightroom or Corel AfterShot Pro at about half the cost of a discounted Media Pro?
aaprlore

Postby Shihan » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:36 am

Already switched from Aperture to COP7 the last week. Was pretty easy as most of files were only referenced files. Wrote metadata to files and then imported them into COP7. Of course I lost the custom edits but for the files I wanted to keep them I made an export (of the variant... can't already remember the name Aperture uses for variants ;-) ).

So far I really like what I see especially the resulting image quality and the adjustment tools/styles.

What I don't like so far or I hope that gets better in the future is the following:
- spot healing tool (Aperture's one is much better and more intuitive)
- clone tool (seems there is none?)
- keyword editing is cumbersome, was much more intuitive in Aperture
- behaviour of COP7 during import -> app freezes, cannot really be used during import, well at least on my Mid 2010 iMac (i7 2.9GHz Duo Core, 8 GB RAM, Ati 5750)
- a map that aggregates the photo locations from the GPS EXIF data where you can browse the photos by clicking on the map
Shihan

Postby JoeLeads » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:20 pm

I'm also new to CO7 and like it so far. The image results are really nice. Thanks for the 50% discount!

The feature that I miss most is roundtrip editing with external editors such as Photoshop or the Nik tools. Currently you can export a variant and open it in an external application, and then the workflow ends. You need to import the edited file manually into CO7 again, to have it in your catalog. The way Aperture handled this, doesn't seem to complicated to implement to me: Create new variant as 8bit/16bit PSD/TIFF file inside the catalog, open that file in the external application, reload the file when it has been saved by the external application.
JoeLeads

Postby jsmcpheeters » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:11 am

Can I stack images in C17 Pro? That's pretty useful in my workflow. I used Capture One Pro from version 1 to version 4 and switched to Aperture as it seemed like Aperture developers had basically taken the workflow methodology of C1 and created Aperture with advanced UI and ability to use either referenced or managed catalog structures. Now working with C17 Pro I'm finding the workflow fairly easy to adjust to, but am seeing some area that are still behind Aperture's DAM strengths.
jsmcpheeters

Postby JoeLeads » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:47 am

jsmcpheeters wrote:Can I stack images in C17 Pro? That's pretty useful in my workflow.

Apparently yes and no. CO knows stacks that work similar to Aperture (expand/collapse view, vote up and down, choose primary image), but only for variants of an image. I haven't figured out a way group previously unrelated images into a stack, even automatically. There are certain things that CO might want to learn from Aperture. ;)
JoeLeads

Postby strobes » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:48 pm

I'm only an "enthusiastic amateur" but I have used Aperture and learnt to appreciate just what a fantastic bit of software it really is over the years.
I was devastated to hear that Aperture would no longer be supported and tried Dxo and Capture One last week as I was never too happy with the Aperture RAW imports.
I found Capture One quite superb and bought a copy of C1Ex last week. Aperture is far better as a DAM than Media Pro (IMHO) so I looked for a way of getting the best of both worlds and came up with the following two options:

Using C1 and Aperture.
(1) Create Aperture "Hot" Folder using Automator.
(2) Import your RAW files from camera into C1.
(3) Adjust as needed in C1.
(4) Export variant to HOT folder.
(5) Open Aperture and catalogue or use your plug-ins as normal.
(6) Don't forget to backup RAW files that will now be kept by C1

Using C1 and iPhoto
(1) Create iPhoto "Hot" Folder using Automator.
(2) Set up External Editor in iPhoto as Capture One.
(3) Tick Export as RAW.
(4) Select your RAW photos and "Edit in External Editor"
(5) Do your RAW editing in C1 and export variant back to iPhoto.
(6) You have access to the results in both Aperture and iPhoto and leaves your original RAW untouched.

Works fine for me and leaves all options open until the dust settles in a couple of years.

P.S. I went for Capture One Express as I didn't think I needed the Pro version.
strobes

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 7.x Software