Aperture and Capture One

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

Aperture and Capture One

Postby JeppeSkjerning » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:48 pm

It’s been four interesting days since Apple announced that they are ceasing to develop Aperture.

For the professional Aperture users who are looking to switch to Capture One Pro 7, we are currently investigating how we can make the transition as smooth as possible.

In addition, we are offering Aperture users a time limited 50% discount on Capture One Pro 7 or Capture One Express 7, when using the voucher “switch50” in our online store.
JeppeSkjerning

Re: Aperture and Capture One

Postby Photography by Toine » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:41 pm

That's fantastic news.

As one of those Aperture switchers, a whitepaper with the "this is how you did it in Aperture, now this is how you do it in C1Pro" would be absolutely fantastic!

Toine
Photography by Toine

Postby ymatto » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:13 pm

JeppeSkjerning wrote:For the professional Aperture users who are looking to switch to Capture One Pro 7, we are currently investigating how we can make the transition as smooth as possible.

Fantastic! As a long-time Aperture user who has already bought Capture One and is very excited about all the things it does better, I'm very much looking forward to what you come up with.
ymatto

Postby NN635247238378699468UL » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:43 pm

I bought C1 after the news regarding Aperture came around.
It's pretty good that Phase One woke up.
I had planned to export the edited images as TIFF from Aperture and save the RAWs for any occasional new edits. The metadata may go with as XMP.
In Aperture I have a hierarchical system of key words. How should this be handled?

What worries me is the unexpected gap in the management of key words. The use of Media Pro in direct comparison with Aperture has not become really clear to me.

I am now waiting for what is being proposed here.
NN635247238378699468UL

Postby NN635396883437907450UL » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:16 pm

I'm also coming from Aperture. Can you briefly discuss the differences in Aperture organization terms with Capture One. Catalogs, sessions, albums, etc. vs Projects.
NN635396883437907450UL

Postby BobRockefeller » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:19 pm

Excellent news! I too got in the 50% off discount for June over the weekend, pushed finally by the Aperture announcements. I'm liking it so far. But conversion assistance can't be anything but a good thing!
Bob
-----
Robert J. Rockefeller
http://www.bobrockefeller.com
Midway, GA
BobRockefeller

Postby BobRockefeller » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:28 pm

NN635396883437907450UL wrote:I'm also coming from Aperture. Can you briefly discuss the differences in Aperture organization terms with Capture One. Catalogs, sessions, albums, etc. vs Projects.

I'm finding them very similar. They both have projects, albums/smart albums and groups (folders in Aperture).

But there is a sublte difference in where the images are "kept." Aperture keeps them in projects while C1 keeps them in the base collection, All Images.
Bob
-----
Robert J. Rockefeller
Midway, GA
BobRockefeller

Postby BobRockefeller » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:22 am

I've written up a blog post from my experiences so far in converting from Aperture to C1. This one points out 10 things Aperture users would want to know about C1:

http://www.bobrockefeller.com/blog/10-t ... re-one-pro

I'll be blogging about what I learn on my way over from Aperture. Let me know if you have any specific questions I might use as the source of other blog posts.
Bob
-----
Robert J. Rockefeller
Midway, GA
BobRockefeller

Postby Riss » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:57 am

BobRockefeller wrote:I've written up a blog post from my experiences so far in converting from Aperture to C1.

Good summary Bob! I've arrived to same conclusions over the last 4 days - tested the app for 2 full days and then bought the license :) There are few things I hope would be changed/finetuned in next version (especially around UI in viewing and editing) but the output quality is superb, right there with Capture NX2 from Nikon (I shoot with D3s).

If the forums can be any indication I can't believe that so many people are willing to give themselves to Adobe and sign up for the rental model (even if there's still a standalone app I firmly believe it's just a question of time till it disappears) and the crappy RAW conversion of Lightroom. I'll keep Aperture on my Mac till the support fades, but all new stuff and even some past shoots will be (re)done in Capture One.
Riss

Postby PhaseoneUser55657 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:21 pm

My only problem with Phaseone and Capture One, is the camera support. They are often the last one to support a camera if they do at all. While I think Aperture was mostly first to support new cameras. For me the big issue is with Medium Format, they do not support anything but Phaseone/Mamyia, while both Aperture and LR support everyone. Put in a Support case and the case is closed so fast you get whiplash. I understand a little if they don't want to support tethering, but support the file format or at least one that is converted to DNG.

Robert
PhaseoneUser55657

Postby Russkie » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:23 pm

Hi all

I've trialled COP7 and have been prevaricating but now, Apple are making the decision easier.

One question though: is it worth adding Media Pro 1 into the mix and integrating it with COP7?

Russell
Russkie

Postby BobRockefeller » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:04 pm

Russkie wrote:
One question though: is it worth adding Media Pro 1 into the mix and integrating it with COP7?

Russell

I'm interested in that, too. C1's catalog is pretty good, but not nearly as feature-rich as Aperture's. Is PhaseONE working to move Media Pro's features into C1? Or is Media Pro a good complement to C1?
Bob
-----
Robert J. Rockefeller
Midway, GA
BobRockefeller

Postby Keith Reeder » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:26 pm

PhaseoneUser55657 wrote:They are often the last one to support a camera if they do at all.

No, that would be Aftershot Pro.
Keith Reeder
Keith Reeder

Postby photograch » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:49 pm

JeppeSkjerning wrote:It’s been four interesting days since Apple announced that they are ceasing to develop Aperture.

For the professional Aperture users who are looking to switch to Capture One Pro 7, we are currently investigating how we can make the transition as smooth as possible.

In addition, we are offering Aperture users a time limited 50% discount on Capture One Pro 7 or Capture One Express 7, when using the voucher “switch50” in our online store.

Hello,
haven't seen this post yet, just paid yesterday night ! Is it 50% of 114 euro which I paid ? If so, it's pity.
So navy Aperture user !
And additional question, compare the same CR2 file in Aperture and Capture One without any adjustments. In Aperture looks sharp and I Capture One not so. But after export in JPEG and open in Preview app looks both OK. What is that ?
Thank you in advance
Sergey
photograch

Postby BobRockefeller » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:23 pm

photograch wrote:And additional question, compare the same CR2 file in Aperture and Capture One without any adjustments. In Aperture looks sharp and I Capture One not so. But after export in JPEG and open in Preview app looks both OK. What is that ?
Thank you in advance
Sergey

Sergey,

Comparing RAW processors is very hard as each has it's own defaults, both for a starting point and potentially even on export.

I suppose the best way to compare is to see which tools allows you to get the most quality out of the same RAW file. Perhaps that's sharpness, color rendition, or maybe dynamic range.
Bob
-----
Robert J. Rockefeller
Midway, GA
BobRockefeller

Next

Return to Capture One 7.x Software