Tethered Nikon Issues

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

Tethered Nikon Issues

Postby Steve Mac » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:37 pm

Mac Pro (5.1) OS 10.8.4 and Capture One 7.1.3
2X6-Core Intel Xeon
2.4 GHz
12GB RAM

Is anyone else experiencing problems (freezes, beachball and crashing and program becoming unresponsive) when shooting tethered with a Nikon D3X?
Steve Mac

Re: Tethered Nikon Issues

Postby Christian Gruner » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:43 pm

NNN634637274286310223 wrote:Mac Pro (5.1) OS 10.8.4 and Capture One 7.1.3
2X6-Core Intel Xeon
2.4 GHz
12GB RAM

Is anyone else experiencing problems (freezes, beachball and crashing and program becoming unresponsive) when shooting tethered with a Nikon D3X?

Please create a support case with Support.

Be sure to include all CO logs, system profile, camera firmware version.

Also, if you experience a crash, make sure that you fill out the crash-report, and submit it.
Test-Manager, Capture One, Phase One A/S
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby Steve Mac » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:19 pm

The support case is already in progress. I was curious to see if any users were experiencing the same issues.
Steve Mac

Postby JAYSEN » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:40 am

Not with D3X but with D800. I updated to 7.1.3 and now the camera doesn't connect at all. So frustrated with every.single. update of C1.
JAYSEN

Postby Christian Gruner » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:43 am

JAYSEN wrote:Not with D3X but with D800. I updated to 7.1.3 and now the camera doesn't connect at all. So frustrated with every.single. update of C1.

Have you enabled the Nikon Tethering from the preferences?
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby NN200218UL2 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:02 pm

I have had the same issues. And have done everything that has been suggested when tethering a Nikon. My first time running 7.1.3 was a disaster--it crashed almost immediately, camera was connected but would not load images--not even a pending bar--if I clicked the shutter or selected Capture button. This is the worst one I've had experience with, and I test all of the new versions when they come out. I ran disk utility, disabled Canon, Open CL is off...

Do you also have an issue with a dropped connection? Mine will go in and out intermittently.

The only thing I noticed that made a large difference was removing a CF card from the camera when shooting tethered.

My case is below, sounds similar to yours.
I am running Sessions on CO1 7.1.3 & 7.1.2 with the same problems. Camera is a Nikon D800 Tethertools USB 3, Open CL is off, Canon is disabled, I have already run disk utility and verified disk and disk permissions etc. There is 2.79 TB available space on the computer with the RAM being dedicated to just running CO7. This is the only application we use on this computer - Apple 10.6.8, 3.4 Ghz Intel i7, 32 GB memory.

The application says the camera is attached, but whenever I click the shutter (or select the Capture button), nothing goes through. There is no pending bar, and I know which shot folder it is. The application recognizes when I turn off and on the camera, but no matter what I do, the images wont go through. When I look at the Nikon, A symbol "{PC}" pops up on the right hand part of the screen, and there is a line that continuously goes across the screen, getting larger and smaller.

This is a new tether cord, and when we used this system 1 month ago it worked fine.

Please advise--what is going on with the Nikon and why wont CO7 shoot?

Also, the connection often goes in and out even if I use different (high quality) tether cords. CO1 will just drop the connection, and pick it up, even if the camera hasn't been fired or moved.
NN200218UL2

Postby Christian Gruner » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:47 pm

NN200218UL2 wrote:I have had the same issues. And have done everything that has been suggested when tethering a Nikon. My first time running 7.1.3 was a disaster--it crashed almost immediately, camera was connected but would not load images--not even a pending bar--if I clicked the shutter or selected Capture button. This is the worst one I've had experience with, and I test all of the new versions when they come out. I ran disk utility, disabled Canon, Open CL is off...

Do you also have an issue with a dropped connection? Mine will go in and out intermittently.

The only thing I noticed that made a large difference was removing a CF card from the camera when shooting tethered.

I am running Sessions on CO1 7.1.3 & 7.1.2 with the same problems. Camera is a Nikon D800 Tethertools USB 3, Open CL is off, Canon is disabled, I have already run disk utility and verified disk and disk permissions etc. There is 2.79 TB available space on the computer with the RAM being dedicated to just running CO7. This is the only application we use on this computer - Apple 10.6.8, 3.4 Ghz Intel i7, 32 GB memory.

The application says the camera is attached, but whenever I click the shutter (or select the Capture button), nothing goes through. There is no pending bar, and I know which shot folder it is. The application recognizes when I turn off and on the camera, but no matter what I do, the images wont go through. When I look at the Nikon, A symbol "{PC}" pops up on the right hand part of the screen, and there is a line that continuously goes across the screen, getting larger and smaller.

This is a new tether cord, and when we used this system 1 month ago it worked fine.

Please advise--what is going on with the Nikon and why wont CO7 shoot?

Also, the connection often goes in and out even if I use different (high quality) tether cords. CO1 will just drop the connection, and pick it up, even if the camera hasn't been fired or moved.

Have you check your port in the d800? The connection dropping all the time usually is a hardware issue.
We can't repro this behaviour with our in-house d800e, so next step to check is the hardware.
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby Steve Mac » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:02 pm

NN200218UL2 wrote:I have had the same issues. And have done everything that has been suggested when tethering a Nikon. My first time running 7.1.3 was a disaster--it crashed almost immediately, camera was connected but would not load images--not even a pending bar--if I clicked the shutter or selected Capture button. This is the worst one I've had experience with, and I test all of the new versions when they come out. I ran disk utility, disabled Canon, Open CL is off...

We have had no problems with the Nikon dropping connections but the crashes and slow performance had made it almost unusable. We would crash several times daily. However we loaded 7.1.4 yesterday and have not experienced a crash yet! Maybe to early to tell but, it seems like it was a C17 issue, as we have changed nothing and not hardware as suggested. Good luck.
Steve Mac

Postby NN155407UL8 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:35 pm

My experience with my Mac has been terrible with the new 7.1.4 upgrade. I have been shooting a Nikon D800e and the program just freezes. If I go into photoshop to do a little work and come back to C1 it requires a force quit. I stepped back to a previous version and it was better, but still not great.

I have ended up going back to a H20 back with Version 7.1.3 and it's much more stable.

These leads me to believe it's one of the following: USB issue, Nikon issue, Poorly written software issue.

The Old firewire 600 connection to the H20 back will have to be my solution for now. I hope Phase one can figure out the issue.

Also as a side note, I run a windows machine with C1 and on it's first time firing up, it crashed before I could do anything. And to my unpleasant surprise, it still does........I can't even using it. Will roll that back to a previous version and hope it's as stable as it used to be. In this case because of the instability I believe it is software as nothing has changed on the machine.
NN155407UL8

Postby NNN635156169528295822 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:35 am

Steve Mac wrote:Mac Pro (5.1) OS 10.8.4 and Capture One 7.1.3
2X6-Core Intel Xeon
2.4 GHz
12GB RAM

Both my D3s and D800 work just fine
Michael Larsen
Nikon D3s & D800E
NNN635156169528295822

Postby Steve Mac » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:58 pm

NNN635156169528295822 wrote:
Both my D3s and D800 work just fine

What is your set up?
Steve Mac

Postby NN635156371651061744UL » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:02 pm

Just curious....Are any the other users having crash issues connected to a LAN? We found that the crashing instantly stopped (for the most part) when we disconnected from our LAN. We created a support ticket and they told us to start shooting to a catalog instead of a session and that seemed to work pretty well. It's still not the most stable program...crashes a few times a day, usually.

While shooting in a session, our best solution was to disconnect from the LAN while shooting. Then close C1 and transfer images, and eventually re-disconnect when ready to shoot again. Not the best, but it worked.

Like I said, the shooting to a catalog while connected to the LAN has taken care of most of the problems, although we would prefer shooting in sessions. Even in the catalog and connected to the LAN, though, we can't use an overlay image that is on our network without the same problems

It just seems that anything to do with a LAN locks C1 up, for us at least.

I'm not going to list all of our specs, because we have the same problems of various machines with different specs, be we are running OSx 10.6.8 with Intel processors and at least 8gb ram. We also experienced the same issues with various cameras including; Phase One, Canon, and Nikon.
NN635156371651061744UL

Postby Christian Gruner » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:11 pm

NN635156371651061744UL wrote:Just curious....Are any the other users having crash issues connected to a LAN? We found that the crashing instantly stopped (for the most part) when we disconnected from our LAN. We created a support ticket and they told us to start shooting to a catalog instead of a session and that seemed to work pretty well. It's still not the most stable program...crashes a few times a day, usually.

While shooting in a session, our best solution was to disconnect from the LAN while shooting. Then close C1 and transfer images, and eventually re-disconnect when ready to shoot again. Not the best, but it worked.

Like I said, the shooting to a catalog while connected to the LAN has taken care of most of the problems, although we would prefer shooting in sessions. Even in the catalog and connected to the LAN, though, we can't use an overlay image that is on our network without the same problems

I'm not going to list all of our specs, because we have the same problems of various machines with different specs, be we are running OSx 10.6.8 with Intel processors and at least 8gb ram. We also experienced the same issues with various cameras including; Phase One, Canon, and Nikon.

I assume you are on 7.1.4 ?

Just out of curiosity, as I cannot reproduce your flow on 10.8, have you tried the exact same thing you always do, but on 10.8 instead?

Also, are you connected to the LAN via wireless or cable (or both?)
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby NN635156371651061744UL » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:27 pm

Christian Gr wrote:
NN635156371651061744UL wrote:Just curious....Are any the other users having crash issues connected to a LAN? We found that the crashing instantly stopped (for the most part) when we disconnected from our LAN. We created a support ticket and they told us to start shooting to a catalog instead of a session and that seemed to work pretty well. It's still not the most stable program...crashes a few times a day, usually.

Just out of curiosity, as I cannot reproduce your flow on 10.8, have you tried the exact same thing you always do, but on 10.8 instead?

Just downloaded the update this morning... I actually just got on the forums to check out any new features. I will keep you posted on the performance!

I haven't tried it on 10.8. I'm stuck with 10.6 for now :-(

Like I said, I have a pretty decent workflow using a catalog, so don't spend too much time spooling over it. I wrote the post more as an FYI of a possible solution for others. Thanks for looking into it for me!
NN635156371651061744UL

Postby Christian Gruner » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:36 pm

NN635156371651061744UL wrote:
Christian Gr wrote:

Just downloaded the update this morning... I actually just got on the forums to check out any new features. I will keep you posted on the performance!

I haven't tried it on 10.8. I'm stuck with 10.6 for now :-(

Like I said, I have a pretty decent workflow using a catalog, so don't spend too much time spooling over it. I wrote the post more as an FYI of a possible solution for others. Thanks for looking into it for me!

Thanks for getting back so quick.
Stuck on 10.6 due to limited hardware or just because of company policy or something completely different?

My own personal experience with my own D3x, CO and a 10.6 mbp vs 10.8 installation, is that 10.8 seems to be more stable, so I would of course advice you to try it out on one of your machines, if possible.
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Next

Return to Capture One 7.x Software