Tethered Nikon Issues

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

Re: Tethered Nikon Issues

Postby NN635156371651061744UL » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:02 pm

Christian Gr wrote:
NN635156371651061744UL wrote:
Christian Gr wrote:I assume you are on 7.1.4 ?

Just out of curiosity, as I cannot reproduce your flow on 10.8, have you tried the exact same thing you always do, but on 10.8 instead?

Just downloaded the update this morning... I actually just got on the forums to check out any new features. I will keep you posted on the performance!

I haven't tried it on 10.8. I'm stuck with 10.6 for now :-(

Like I said, I have a pretty decent workflow using a catalog, so don't spend too much time spooling over it. I wrote the post more as an FYI of a possible solution for others. Thanks for looking into it for me!

Thanks for getting back so quick.
Stuck on 10.6 due to limited hardware or just because of company policy or something completely different?

My own personal experience with my own D3x, CO and a 10.6 mbp vs 10.8 installation, is that 10.8 seems to be more stable, so I would of course advice you to try it out on one of your machines, if possible.

Not so much policy as it is corporate life. We get upgrades according to a time table, not out of necessity, unfortunately (which is completely unsterdable in our environment, not speaking negatively).

I've been shooting for about an hour now, so far no crashes. #highhopes
NN635156371651061744UL

Postby tonyszcz » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:28 pm

I am running 7.1.4, and have had constant crashing issues with this version, as well as all previous versions of the software. I'm shooting with a Nikon D800E, tethered. I've tried using a shorter USB cable, extending my connection with a powered USB port, to no avail. My program crashes regularly several times throughout the day. Also, several times a day, I loose camera connection for no apparent reason. I can almost guarantee that if I go to Photoshop for a while, when I return to Capture One, that the program will either crash or just not respond. Extremely frustrating. It's to the point that I'm seriously looking at going to an alternate software. It's great when it works, but the reliability factor is non existent.
tonyszcz

Postby Christian Gruner » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:51 pm

tonyszcz wrote:I am running 7.1.4, and have had constant crashing issues with this version, as well as all previous versions of the software. I'm shooting with a Nikon D800E, tethered. I've tried using a shorter USB cable, extending my connection with a powered USB port, to no avail. My program crashes regularly several times throughout the day. Also, several times a day, I loose camera connection for no apparent reason. I can almost guarantee that if I go to Photoshop for a while, when I return to Capture One, that the program will either crash or just not respond. Extremely frustrating. It's to the point that I'm seriously looking at going to an alternate software. It's great when it works, but the reliability factor is non existent.

Have you tried with another cable ? I have seen a lot of issues with the USB3 mini plug at the D800 end.

What graphics adapter and Photoshop version are you running ? PS and CO can be competing or the Video-ram, and if there's not enough, someone will loose this fight over resources. 1 gb VRAM is alright for CO alone, but if you run CS6 or CC at the same time, you can run into trouble (or get a very slow performing CO). In that case it would be a good idea to have a graphics adapter with 2 gb or more VRAM.

We are always trying to improve the software, especially by using user input. If you continue to have problems, be sure to submit a Support-case.
Test-Manager, Capture One, Phase One A/S
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby Steve Mac » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:11 pm

tonyszcz wrote:I am running 7.1.4, and have had constant crashing issues with this version, as well as all previous versions of the software. I'm shooting with a Nikon D800E, tethered. I've tried using a shorter USB cable, extending my connection with a powered USB port, to no avail. My program crashes regularly several times throughout the day. Also, several times a day, I loose camera connection for no apparent reason. I can almost guarantee that if I go to Photoshop for a while, when I return to Capture One, that the program will either crash or just not respond. Extremely frustrating. It's to the point that I'm seriously looking at going to an alternate software. It's great when it works, but the reliability factor is non existent.

Regularly flushing the PRAM, Caches and fixing disk permissions helps. Also on our Studio machines we have no software loaded that will compete with C1 for ram. On our retouch computers closing Photoshop, InDesign while using C1 seems beneficial.
I understand your frustration! I hope this helps.
Steve Mac

Postby NNN634353030143820566 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:19 pm

When shooting tethered with a mac, other USB connections and the order at which you connect USB devices can grief you. Connect all USB devices including Camera and then restart your computer - or switch to wireless mouse and keyboard :lol:
NNN634353030143820566

Postby boswellcreative » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:48 pm

just bought a new macbook pro running 10.10.4 - capture would not work properly so I upgraded to Capture 8 - I am shooting Nikon D800 - I connect the camera and Capture sees it for about 3 seconds then it says no camera attached - hoping to shoot feathered for a big client in the morning - anybody have any suggestions?

boswell
boswellcreative

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:45 am

boswellcreative wrote:just bought a new macbook pro running 10.10.4 - capture would not work properly so I upgraded to Capture 8 - I am shooting Nikon D800 - I connect the camera and Capture sees it for about 3 seconds then it says no camera attached - hoping to shoot feathered for a big client in the morning - anybody have any suggestions?

boswell

The USB3 connection and low power from new MacBooks are the most common cause of disconnections. Try another cable, power USB3 hub and make sure you have your MacBook connected to an AC outlet, if possible. Remove all other USB connections if any exist.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist, Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Previous

Return to Capture One 7.x Software