CO 7 Express someday?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

CO 7 Express someday?

Postby NN124869UL2 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:17 pm

Hi, do you have planned to release CO7 on express version?

thanks.
NN124869UL2

Re: CO 7 Express someday?

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:29 am

From what I have understood the Express edition ends with CO6. For an official and authoritative answer, contact Phase One directly in a support case.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Keith Reeder » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:04 am

No Paul, if Phase One has - arbitrarily and without any prior warning - pulled the plug on Express, they can make a formal announcement about it instead of sneakily killing it off and hoping that nobody will notice or make a fuss about its demise.

To do anything else is completely disrespectful to Express users who are now left high and dry for an upgrade path without even the simple courtesy of a formal indication that this is the case.

Many users simply have no need for the extra functionality in Pro over Express, and frankly the current upgrade "special price" (I can save 30 Euros. Big deal - I'll still be paying £200 with VAT, which is massively more expensive that any other converter available today) isn't nearly enough of a temptation to make the step to Pro 7, especially when in terms of IQ improvements from 6 to 7, Phase One is again promising more than it delivers - new bells and whistles as usual, but the chequerboard demosaicing artefact is still there in the new engine; and highlight recovery is still completely outclassed by Lightroom, and now by new converter Photo Ninja.

I've done a significant number of Capture One 6/7 side-by-side conversions in the last couple of days, and tried a number of images that Capture One 6 did a poor job on, and there's no appreciable image quality improvement whatsoever between the two. None. Cap One Pro 7 still can't recover highlight detail the way Lr and Photo Ninja can do trivially easy; high ISOs still result in an acceptable trade-off between detail and noise; and that damned cross-hatch artefact stilll appears. I can see no worthwhile improvements from the "new" engine at all, and frankly I strongly doubt there's anything new about it.

I suppose this is what we've come to expect from Phase One. It comes to something though, when even Adobe treats its customers with more integrity and honesty than Phase One.
Keith Reeder

Postby NN124869UL2 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:47 pm

I think that capture one it's the best Raw processing software today, but i don't need many of the features on capture one pro, and sure i will not pay to upgrade from version 6 express to 7 pro. If PO release a version of CO 7 express surely i will pay for the upgrade, anyway.

and i think that many user's will be in the same situation.

Well, i will contact PO with a support case for more info.

thanks a lot.
NN124869UL2

Postby Phil12 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:43 pm

I downloaded the trial version but it won't load. I get an error message that says "You must re-load the program". Then, it flashes a little and then nothing. Since it installed over Version 6 (first time ever for that), now I have nothing.

PO should publish a book on how to alienate long-standing customers (back to version 4), especially one's that recommend their software to workshop students for 3 years. $250 for a RAW converter? Are you kidding me?
Phil12

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:09 pm

Phil12 wrote:...
Since it installed over Version 6 (first time ever for that), now I have nothing.

That is strange. I have CO6 and 7 installed into their default locations on Win 7 x64:
C:\Program Files\Phase One\Capture One 6
C:\Program Files\Phase One\Capture One 7

What OS are you using and what is the folder CO7 is installed into?
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Phil12 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:12 pm

Paul_E wrote:
Since it installed over Version 6 (first time ever for that), now I have nothing.

That is strange. I have CO6 and 7 installed into their default locations on Win 7 x64:

I'm on a MacBook Pro, 8,2 April 2011. 16 gigs or RAM. OS 10.6 and I have no idea what folder it installed itself into.
Phil12

Postby ronaldnztan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:56 pm

I don't want to go off topic. I can't find ways to directly email Mr. Reeder from his website.

Keith Reeder wrote:I've done a significant number of Capture One 6/7 side-by-side conversions in the last couple of days, and tried a number of images that Capture One 6 did a poor job on, and there's no appreciable image quality improvement whatsoever between the two. None. Cap One Pro 7 still can't recover highlight detail the way Lr and Photo Ninja can do trivially easy; high ISOs still result in an acceptable trade-off between detail and noise; and that damned cross-hatch artefact stilll appears. I can see no worthwhile improvements from the "new" engine at all, and frankly I strongly doubt there's anything new about it.

I merely wanted to join and express my concurrence regarding the new HDR look in C1PRO7. I have a love/hate relationship with the new look. It works when it works. I mostly photography my subjects in front of a dark grey seamless Savage brand paper and even at low values of Clarity (say 30), the new version 7 introduced a dreadful glob in the interfacing region between subject and dark grey background paper.
ronaldnztan

Postby ronaldnztan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:59 pm

I wanted to join in and support your endeavor; I don't think it would be fair for P1 to "force" express users to upgrade to 7 PRO when the features in version 7 are irrelevant to express users. Before I was a PRO license user, the first software I bought from P1 was the Version 4 Express. At the time, I couldn't afford to guy their 3.7.8 PRO license (USD 500). I saved up until I could upgrade, BECAUSE I found 4 Express lacking in features. t makes no sense for Express users to upgrade if the PRO features are useless in the Express users' workflows!

NN124869UL2 wrote:Hi, do you have planned to release CO7 on express version?

thanks.
ronaldnztan

Postby SFA » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:52 pm

Phil12 wrote:
Paul_E wrote:

I'm on a MacBook Pro, 8,2 April 2011. 16 gigs or RAM. OS 10.6 and I have no idea what folder it installed itself into.

Phil,

Have you also looked in the thread for Mac installations rather than the Windows installations thread?
SFA

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:33 pm

Phil12 wrote:
Paul_E wrote:

Phil,
I suggest next time you post in the Mac forum, that prevents a lot of confusion. You will find there answer to your question as well, as this is discussed several times already.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby David Grover » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:02 pm

Keith Reeder wrote:No Paul, if Phase One has - arbitrarily and without any prior warning - pulled the plug on Express, they can make a formal announcement about it instead of sneakily killing it off and hoping that nobody will notice or make a fuss about its demise.

Keith,

I don't think you will find anywhere in our documentation that we intend to suddenly 'kill' Capture One Express. Its still available today. Or perhaps you could consider we might have other options as well to serve the express community in the future?

David
David Grover
Crew
Crew

Postby David Grover » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:09 pm

Phil12 wrote:
Paul_E wrote:

Hi Phil,

When you expand the .dmg download file, a popup window suggest you transfer the App to the Applications folder. It doesn't really get much simpler than that?

In the future, perhaps make a folder for the older or newer copy of Capture One before copying into the Applications folder.

You could also grab version 6 from your Time Machine backup.

David
David Grover
Crew
Crew

Postby Keith Reeder » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:44 pm

David Grover wrote:I don't think you will find anywhere in our documentation that we intend to suddenly 'kill' Capture One Express. Its still available today.

Yeah, you really should have included this from my earlier post too, David - this is my point:
To do anything else is completely disrespectful to Express users who are now left high and dry for an upgrade path

All the user community knows, right now, is that there's no Capture One 7 Express, and no indication that there will be one - there's nothing in your documentation, full stop - or "period", if you're so inclined.

If you don't communicate with your customers (even the "little guys" who use Express), we're going to guess and to assume, and it should be no surprise that we might do that, nor should it be a surprise that assume the worst...

Or perhaps you could consider we might have other options as well to serve the express community in the future?

What possible reason is there for me to consider that? Because Phase One are nice guys who won't lets their customers down?

If you'd really wanted to prevent this sort of thread, you could have announced, the day 7 Pro was announced, that Express users should be patient because something was coming for them too. But you didn't, and frankly that kind of silence speaks volumes.

You could even have simply come up with an Express-to-Pro upgrade price that wasn't an absolute joke: it'll cost me £200 UK to upgrade - that's $320 US as of right now.

I mean - seriously? Cap One 7 ain't that good. Not by a long shot
Keith Reeder

Postby bigfatron » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:37 pm

David Grover wrote:Keith,

I don't think you will find anywhere in our documentation that we intend to suddenly 'kill' Capture One Express. Its still available today. Or perhaps you could consider we might have other options as well to serve the express community in the future?

David

The question still stands though, is a CO7 Express version forthcoming in any shape or form?
bigfatron

Next

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software