Canon tethering on Capture One 7

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Re: Canon tethering on Capture One 7

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:56 pm

NN100489UL8 wrote:Hi Paul,

Bingo !! What I was not doing was leaving the highlight over the EOS Utilities before CTRL - CLICK.

Anyway...got in....followed the procedure as per instructions.....

But sad to say that the same error seems to be coming up with the Tether...CAPTURE ERROR....folder....over and over...plus noe the Capture One wont let me log in saying that my profile is incorrect ????

Oh dear....I reset password etc...asking me to re enter LICENSE KEY...so I did...but same story.

Not sure what to do.....just sitting in a corner eating Panadol !! hahahahah

Will wait to hear from you, if any further thoughts.

rgds

SCOTT

Hi Scott,
From your description it is difficult to give proper guidance. Regarding your license key, I noticed you have different accounts here on the forum. Since accounts are connected to license key, another account can not use the key.
I suggest it is best to contact support, to get your account and key relation straight, and next, your tethering issue.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:58 pm

PhotoBrains wrote:
Paul_Steunebrink wrote:
Timandrews wrote:...
I've had the thought of trying the CO 7 workaround, only inserting the SDK from my older version of EOS Utility, but that might be asking for too much. Seems that I will need to keep a copy of CO 6.4.2 on my computers just for the 1dsMk2.

Interesting thought to make a workaround for an older camera. You could keep CO 6.4.2 on your system or you could copy the Canon SDK from 6.4.2 to CO 7 and see whether that works.

Just for information: the SDK in CO 6.4.2 is much newer than 8.4 as you suggested, but that does not matter.

Does anyone know if this workaround will enable tethering of my Canon 1ds mrk II to CO7 ?

Why not try it? When you rename your Capture One application, you can safely install another one and give it a shot. The combination of CO7 users with an Canon 1Ds mkII is relatively small, hence little or no response.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NN264489UL » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:52 pm

I have followed the work around for CO 7 and for CO 6.4.2. I am using a mark ii with newly installed mountain lion on a 27inch Imac. In both cases I get CO to tether the camera for one shot. The shot never comes into the preview or the capture folder. Then the connection goes away and I can't get it to tether again. I can successfully tether to my older MB pro running Mac OS 10.6.8 and CO 6.3.1 HELP!!
NN264489UL

Postby jfiske » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:18 pm

thanks, worked for me
guess i can cancel this: PhaseOne support case number: 116881
jfiske

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:14 pm

NN264489UL wrote:I have followed the work around for CO 7 and for CO 6.4.2. I am using a mark ii with newly installed mountain lion on a 27inch Imac. In both cases I get CO to tether the camera for one shot. The shot never comes into the preview or the capture folder. Then the connection goes away and I can't get it to tether again. I can successfully tether to my older MB pro running Mac OS 10.6.8 and CO 6.3.1 HELP!!

Check your cable(s). For a test use the shortest cable you have.
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby robin2 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:43 pm

dose anybody have a link to the new SDK
I have no idea where the original canon disk is for my 5dmk2 so do not seem to be able to run the update

Any help very much appreciated

thanks

robin
R Brigham
London
robin2

Postby GoranLjubuncic » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:39 am

robin2 wrote:dose anybody have a link to the new SDK
I have no idea where the original canon disk is for my 5dmk2 so do not seem to be able to run the update

Any help very much appreciated

thanks

robin

email me at studio [ at ] goranphoto dot com for the sdk files
GoranLjubuncic

Postby PhaseoneUser33129 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:45 am

Has anyone been able to get the Canon tethering work around to work using the Canon EOS 1DX? I have tried several times and can't get the camera to tether.

Thanks!
EMily
PhaseoneUser33129

Postby danny121 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:21 pm

took a while but i managed to get this working (if you dont have the original disc as was the case for me you can download a canon utility update which actually contains the whole software if you know where to look - there are a few links to this.

Problem for me is that it worked during test, after closing down and getting to a job the following day it didnt work at all..

is anyone else having n issue with this solution?

Also is there any news on canon camera compatability - likely any time soon?
danny121

Postby JorgeParraPhotography » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:46 pm

I made a necessary ( yet unwanted) workflow decision in this regard: I am now shooting tethered in Adobe LightRoom when using DSLR cameras.
I am editing the RAW's there and then transfer the Preselects to another folder, to then import and start using CO7 for processing...

As painful as this is, it not only works smooth and perfectly fine, but also, I have a full back up of the images in the camera's CF or SD cards.

The workaround suggested previously, worked kind of fine in CO 7 and then broke again in 7.0.1, and even when it works, you have to keep the cameras in NO SLEEP mode, in order not to loose the connection to CO7, or else, you have to restart everything, time and again.

I do not understand how Canon is not supplying Phase One with the right code and support, however, the code has been working seamlessly (including when camera goes to sleep) in LightRoom since version 3 and now in version 4, across all updates (current is 4.3).

My take is, there is an issue of software coding that requires further research, until CO7 works like LightRoom or better. Somehow Adobe sorted it out for real a long time ago, regardless of any version of Canon SDK !

Phase One please help us out with this!

Thanks!
Last edited by JorgeParraPhotography on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jorge Parra
www.JorgeParra.com
Certified POCP
JorgeParraPhotography
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby danny121 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:52 pm

im going to have a look at lightroom, never used it for tethering. The workaround seems very temperamental - a more basic one that ive just tried is to use canon utility to connect to the camera and just set the destination folder to a capture folder in C1, bit slower and you have to manually advance frames but at least I know it will work.
danny121

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Photoshooter wrote:...
The workaround suggested previously, worked kind of fine in CO 7 and then broke again in 7.0.1

Did you install the workaround again in 7.0.1? The update removes the SDK files you installed in the workaround, so you have to repeat the procedure.

Photoshooter wrote:...
I do not understand how Canon is not supplying Phase One with the right code and support, however, the code has been working seamlessly (including when camera goes to sleep) in LightRoom since version 3 and now in version 4, across all updates (current is 4.3).

From what I have understood, Adobe Lightroom does not use the Canon SDK. This limits the tethering functionality and from other users I heard it is slower.

Photoshooter wrote:Phase One please help us out with this!

I am confident they will.
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby JorgeParraPhotography » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:49 pm

Paul, just as you think, I always thought LightRoom would not fit the bill, but, to my utmost surprise, it does.

The seemingly slower performance compared to CO is barely due to the files being copied simultaneously in the camera's card and the computer, so yes, you may need about one more second to see the image on the screen, but that's it, and you can help this out by using faster CF or SD cards.

Yes, I refreshed the Canon SDK thing in CO 7.0.1, but, as others have reported, it is still behaving erratically, and you do not want this type of behavior when working with clients by your computer or iPad.

I am still hoping CO7 becomes the only piece of software in my production workflow.

Jorge
Jorge Parra
www.JorgeParra.com
Certified POCP
JorgeParraPhotography
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Christian » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:39 pm

Great! Now it works!
It was easy, but why don't phase one is building it direct? This is supposed to be a professional Software?

Mac OS 10.7.5
Capture One 7.1
Canon Mark III
Christian

Version 7.0.2 Brilliant

Postby derek1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:29 pm

Great thanks PhaseOne all working with OS 10.8.2 MacBook Pro and 8 core tower

thanks
derek1

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software