Automatic (idiosyncratic) Lens Correction

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Automatic (idiosyncratic) Lens Correction

Postby Ralph » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:49 am

Is there any way to eliminate the automatic application of Lens Correction so that it may be applied according to the user's intentions and not the program's? It still seems to be applied by the program automatically, although at times for inexplicable reasons it isn't. Thanks
Ralph

Re: Automatic (idiosyncratic) Lens Correction

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:24 pm

Hi Ralph,

I have seen this question here in earlier threads. I have experimented with a preset (or style) with the Distortion slider set to 0 (zero) and applied the preset on import or during tethering.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby ianmac » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:29 am

Hi

This is a really annoying behaviour - CO 7 should not apply corrections itself by default, this should be an option that the user selects if required.

Now I am forced to create a Style that sets all the Lens Correction settings to zero (basically to cancel out any auto corrections that have been applied) and I have to remember to do this every time a batch of images comes into CO 7.

More annoying is that when CO 7 does apply it's own corrections, it affects the output file size (even if you output at 100%) so you really can't afford to forget to cancel out the settings each time or your client could end up with different file sizes from the same shoot on the same camera...

It seems a ridiculous way to have to work, Lens Correction should be OFF by default for all lenses and ONLY selectable if the user prefers..

I have posted this to Support as a request for future versions.

Ian
ianmac

Postby Ralph » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:23 pm

I believe that I have as well quite a while ago but apparently to no avail. It is a regrettable and time consuming aspect of the program.
Ralph

Postby Ralph » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:28 pm

Permit me to reiterate just how annoying, troublesome and wasteful of time this aspect of Capture One Pro is.
Ralph

Postby Dave241 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:39 pm

Ralph wrote:Permit me to reiterate just how annoying, troublesome and wasteful of time this aspect of Capture One Pro is.

I think the obvious solution would be to have a "CHOICE" let the user decide if they want it on or off, I actually want it it on as a default, I don't like distortion :o

Dave...
Dave241

Postby SFA » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:37 pm

I have no way to test this (No V7) but is there any potential for simply deleting the lens profiles (or renaming them or renaming the folder containing the profiles?)

I appreciate it might cause problems so would need testing - or someone may already have tried this and have the answer - but for those who never want lens corrections it would seem like an obvious immediate solution to consider and put to a test.

Later an on/off option would seem like a useful option to have.

Currently I don't mind either way since my preferences, when it's an issue with any of my cameras, are variable and I tend to set values about "half way" between full correction and none. So neither on nor off would be ideal.

(I could probably get used to "random" so long as I could set some upper and lowere limits that avoided all and nothing.

;) )

Grant Perkins
SFA

Postby Ralph » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:16 pm

Resurrecting this thread as I feel this problem needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. If anyone concurs, please establish a support case with the suggestion that the default setting should be lens correction "OFF" and allow the user the option of instituting this feature as needed.
Ralph

Postby ianmac » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi Ralph

+1.

I've already put in a Support Case and did get a response that they are aware of this issue.

It HAS to be that Lens Correction is Off by default and only available if you specifically want it. To have it On by default seems crazy as you have to remember to remove the auto corrections - every time - before you even start working on the images. Extra work for nothing.

Ian
ianmac

Postby Ralph » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Hi Ian

+1 to your +1 as well as to your addendum
Ralph

Postby Nick64 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:00 am

I've done the same thing and got a short reply that they have acknowledged the request. No guarantees I guess.

-Nik

ianmac wrote:
I have posted this to Support as a request for future versions.

Ian
Nick64
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Ralph » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:38 am

Lets hope that our words are heard!
Ralph

Postby Edward51 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:40 am

i too consider this a bad oversight on Phase One's part. there should be no auto correction going on - especially of any lens corrections. architecture and still life photographers usually shoot multiple frames of a shot to layer later in photoshop. any auto correction could possibly make those images out of register.
Edward51

Postby Ralph » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:58 pm

Hello Edward51,
It would be helpful if you would register a support case voicing your opinion as an increasing number of tactfully formulated requests might lead to an implemented response or at least an enhanced probability of some-such.
Ralph

Postby Edward51 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:50 pm

that's why we need a feedback tracker like I requested:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=13972&p=64682&hilit=feedback#p64682

but not too many people helped to support it . . .
Edward51

Next

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software