So what now?

Discussions about Phase One Media Pro and Media Pro SE

So what now?

Postby James Hayward » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:01 pm

I work at a publisher who has been using iView/Expression Media/Media Pro for the last 15 years approx. as our digital asset management solution for budget and ease of use/workflow reasons. I just received the day one end of life email from Phase One announcing the end of the application. First of all, thanks for the lengthy notice... Second so what now?

How do we move our catalog data forward with the least amount of pain, time, and cost to a new application that seems to have some staying power. Also, why not just sell the application to a new company? Is there any mention of that? How about you open source the Media Pro code?

It hasn't been an option in the past based on our use case but Is it possible now to use Capture One as a replacement DAM for Media Pro if we don't want/need any of the image editing features. And also WHYYYYYYYYY???

Thanks in advance for any fruitful replies. Hang in there die-hard old school iView users from the beginning. There are rocky roads ahead.
James Hayward

Re: So what now?

Postby Ian3 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:58 pm

As to why, I suspect that the user base of MP is too small to make it viable for them to continue, unfortunately. As an indication of that, look at the first pageful of posts on this forum. It gets you all the way back to the end of 2017. By comparison, the Capture One for Mac forum first page doesn't even get you back to the beginning of this month.

Ian
Ian3

Re: So what now?

Postby Thies » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:35 am

I suspect that the user base of MP is too small to make it viable for them to continue, unfortunately.

When all development is stopped, no wonder that the userbase shrinks. Media One was never properly integrated with Capture One. The Endless waiting for a new version showing the adjustments after a new Capture One engine was released, the lack of performance improvements the outdated UI...
Seems Phase One wants to go the Lightroom way with just one product. Too bad, if you ask me.
Thies

Return to Media Pro / Media Pro SE