Add Author automatically

Discussions about Phase One Media Pro and Media Pro SE

Add Author automatically

Postby Ian3 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:18 pm

Almost all the photos in my MP catalog were taken by myself. A few were taken by other family members. I'd like to be able to identify those that other members took, so I thought of using the Author field. I can obviously add my grandson Isaac, for instance, as an author and attribute to him the few photos that he took. I could also once I have done so, and the same for other family members, fairly easily attribute all the unattributed photos to myself.

But is there a way, having started to use the Author field, to have my name put against all subsequent new additions to the catalog automatically?

Ian
Ian3

Re: Add Author automatically

Postby syncrasy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:31 pm

I think if you are importing files from either camera or disk (card), you can choose to apply an annotation (metadata template). Steps: Import Items > From Camera... [or From Disk...] > select Options tab > select your desired Metadata Template. (If you don't already have a saved metadata template that includes your author name, etc., you can create one from the dialog.) This option is available only for camera or disk imports, not for files already on your computer; to bulk add the author to files already in your catalog, simply apply the metadata template to all selected files.
— Mark
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (mid 2010), various OSs
DAM: Media Pro SE
Image Editors: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6

(as of 2018)
syncrasy

Postby Ian3 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:43 am

syncrasy wrote:I think if you are importing files from either camera or disk (card), you can choose to apply an annotation (metadata template). Steps: Import Items > From Camera... [or From Disk...] > select Options tab > select your desired Metadata Template. (If you don't already have a saved metadata template that includes your author name, etc., you can create one from the dialog.) This option is available only for camera or disk imports, not for files already on your computer; to bulk add the author to files already in your catalog, simply apply the metadata template to all selected files.

I am adding files to MP that are already on the computer. I import from memory cards into Capture One sessions, and add photos to my MP catalog later after culling, editing etc. Does the author field match anything in Capture One that could be set on import, perhaps?

Ian
Ian3

Postby syncrasy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:58 pm

Ian3 wrote:I am adding files to MP that are already on the computer. I import from memory cards into Capture One sessions, and add photos to my MP catalog later after culling, editing etc. Does the author field match anything in Capture One that could be set on import, perhaps?

I don't know as I don't use Capture One. But if CO uses standard IPTC Core annotations, I think IPTC's "Creator" field is equivalent to "Author" field in the Phase One and Photoshop schema.
— Mark
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (mid 2010), various OSs
DAM: Media Pro SE
Image Editors: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6

(as of 2018)
syncrasy

Return to Media Pro / Media Pro SE