Support for Hasselblad?

Discussions about Phase One Media Pro and Media Pro SE

Support for Hasselblad?

Postby Vidio » Sun May 20, 2018 3:55 pm

Does Media Pro work with Hasselblad X1D files? After years of use of Capture One I found to my dismay that I must abandon this software because I added an X1D into my camera collection. Will Media Pro also lock out cameras made by competitors of Phase One? :(
Vidio

Re: Support for Hasselblad?

Postby roberte » Wed May 23, 2018 2:35 am

Yes Media Pro supports the Hasselblad 3FR raw file format (*.fff extension). On Mac it can build previews and display 100% previews. Metadata is written to XMP sidecar files.

Due to their current policy Phase One will be unlikely to support Hasselblad in Capture One in the near future. But never say never! Over the decades I've seen companies in this arena pivot 180˚ on the support for camera raw formats.

What raw converter do you use for your new Hassie? Media Pro works well with most if not all raw processing software. However Media Pro will not be able to display any raw adjustments you make: that's only available if you use Media Pro with Capture One PRO which is not an option for X1D raws.

Alternatively consider a DNG workflow with Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom and update the embedded previews that Media Pro uses for display.
roberte

Postby Vidio » Thu May 24, 2018 5:54 am

I have been using the Phocus software from Hasselblad but was considering using Lightroom. How do I "update the embedded previews." Do I do that in Phocus or Lightroom? I figured Media Pro would just ignore any changes made in the RAW developer. Normally I shoot RAW only. Would I have to switch to RAW+JPEG? Ih Media Pro could see the changes that would be a plus.
Vidio

Postby roberte » Thu May 31, 2018 11:00 am

Vidio wrote:How do I "update the embedded previews." Do I do that in Phocus or Lightroom?

In Lightroom Library module go to Metadata > Update DNG Preview & Metadata

Vidio wrote:I figured Media Pro would just ignore any changes made in the RAW developer

• Media Pro will not show changes made in the Phocus RAW developer.
  • Media Pro will show the embedded preview created by the camera including the Hasselblad X1D.
  • Media Pro will show changes made in Capture One but Capture One does not support the Hasselblad 3FR raw file format.
  • Media Pro will show changes made to DNG files if their embedded preview is updated by Adobe Lightroom or ACR (see answer above). This is a fortunate hangover from the original iView developers. If Phase One made Media Pro from scratch they wouldn't support DNG, IMHO.

Vidio wrote:Normally I shoot RAW only. Would I have to switch to RAW+JPEG? Ih Media Pro could see the changes that would be a plus.

Unfortunately you don't have that option. Media Pro doesn't support a raw+JPEG workflow. It treats raw+JPEG as separate items.
roberte

Return to Media Pro / Media Pro SE