+1
roberte

Re: C1 version 11 is out

Postby B.Sadr » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:49 pm

Don't hold your breath on that one
B.Sadr

Postby IanL » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:22 pm

Oh that sounds ominous. I am not yet a customer but am coming from LR. I have been reading up on Capture One and feeling like its cataloguing capabilities are not quite where I would like. So today I started reading this form and the feature list for Media Pro and watching the C1 Media Pro workflow videos here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw7fNURlSY

Shouldn't MP just work with the version of C1 installed on your computer? Sounds like that is not how it works. How long did it take to get an update to MP when version 10 came out?
IanL

Postby roberte » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:40 am

IanL wrote:How long did it take to get an update to MP when version 10 came out?

• Dec. 01, 2016: Capture One 10 released
  • Jun. 27, 2017: Media Pro 2.2 with support for Capture One 10 released
That's a seven month gap with compatibility. Looks like Capture One has an annual, paid update early November and, maybe, Media Pro in late June.
roberte

Postby IanL » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:12 pm

That is bad! My current assessment is that C1 is not quite a perfect fit for my catalogue needs which meant I started looking at Media Pro. This kind of thing really will not work well for me. At least not at the starting point.

I might have to consider making do with just C1.
IanL

Postby IanL » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:12 pm

roberte wrote:That's a seven month gap with compatibility. Looks like Capture One has an annual, paid update early November and, maybe, Media Pro in late June.

Thanks for the history lesson.
IanL

Postby roberte » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:20 am

Another way to look at it is when Media Pro is updated you get five months compatibility with the current version of Capture One before it is upgraded and they no longer sync. :D

More history? I reckon Phase One has a small, highly skilled team of software engineers. Their priority is for the flagship product and supporting their cameras.

Capture One needed DAM to compete with Lightroom and Aperture. For over five years Phase One worked closely with iView Multimedia and then Microsoft for a workflow solution. When Microsoft decided photography isn't part of their core business Phase One acquired Expression Media, probably for a song. Note: when Microsoft acquired iView in 2006 they also employed their top personnel and the latter was the real treasure. Phase One however only acquired the software.

The assumption was Phase One could cut out the DAM parts and graft it onto Capture One. While I'm not an engineer I doubt that would have ever been possible. Phase One slowly adds DAM features to Capture One.

The original iView team really understood DAM and photography. More than Microsoft did, more than Adobe thinks it does and far more than Phase One can. Too be fair Adobe and Phase One were light years ahead of the old iView team when it came to raw imaging processing. Being a small company iView Multimedia also couldn't compete with Lightroom or Aperture so they needed to be bought out for MediaPro to continue.

We are lucky Phase One acquired Media Pro back in 2010 otherwise Microsoft would have simply written it off. While I still use Media Pro weekly the DAM landscape has moved on since 2004 and it's no longer my main digital asset management application.
roberte

Postby Nordlicht » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:55 am

@roberte

What is your main DAM today?
Nordlicht

Postby C-F » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:17 pm

Nordlicht wrote:@roberte

What is your main DAM today?

Lol, I was going to ask the same question....
C-F

Postby roberte » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:42 am

Nordlicht wrote:What is your main DAM today?

Lightroom.

Of course every photographer's requirements are different, mine is having family images accessible long into the future. For others it may be:
  • Working in a multiuser environment
  • Using bleeding edge raw processing
  • Speed of processing
  • Access to their images anywhere
  • A perpetual software license
  • Etc,
roberte

Postby Nordlicht » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:03 pm

roberte wrote:
Nordlicht wrote:What is your main DAM today?

.... accessible long into the future. ]

Do you use C1 for developing RAW files? I've today a problem with LR under the aspect "accessible long into future".

Will we have this in practice without abo?

Is Mediapro your Backup DAM? How do you handle this?
Nordlicht

Postby roberte » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:44 am

Nordlicht wrote:Do you use C1 for developing RAW files?

Yes when needed. I use DNG so that's the main feature and Capture One has good support.

Nordlicht wrote:I've today a problem with LR under the aspect "accessible long into future".

Not at all. As a DAM Lightroom is usable even if you end your paid Adobe subscription. The "only" parts that stop working are Maps and Develop. No your raw edits don't come across (Capture One does a reasonable job of interpreting them though) and neither do Virtual Copies, History, etc. But IPTC metadata does and of course EXIF. Same for Adobe Bridge.

Nordlicht wrote:Will we have this in practice without abo?

Adobe? My DAM set up is independent of any manufacturer. I learnt that the hard way using Extensis in the 1990s not to put my trust in one company.

Nordlicht wrote:Is Mediapro your Backup DAM? How do you handle this?

Media Pro reads all the industry standard metadata I've entered in Adobe apps. It is a back up solution if I ditch Adobe.
roberte

Postby RobiWan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:01 pm

roberte wrote:[*]Working in a multiuser environment

Can you explain this a bit please?
RobiWan

Postby roberte » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:02 pm

RobiWan wrote:
roberte wrote:[*]Working in a multiuser environment

Can you explain this a bit please?

Working with shared catalogs.