MP 1.2 and Win7 - jpeg DO NOT display as portrait

Discussions about Phase One Media Pro and Media Pro SE

MP 1.2 and Win7 - jpeg DO NOT display as portrait

Postby ce0se » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi,

having read some threads about very similar topics, I'm starting this one to make clear I am very disappointed of PhaseOne and its development of MediaPro.

There had been a survey about MP some time ago where I stated that changing the ui is not enough to get paid. I was kind of stupid (but hopeful) and paid the upgrade of EM to MP.

I had been thinking of buying CO pro - but at this time: Dear PhaseOne-Sales-dep - forget about that.

Why?

MP is slow.
The ui of MP is miserable due to the changes of the color-scheme. EM had been far better with their lighter grey tones.
MP is not able to import and display jpeg's according to their orientation - thats stuff every freeware can do!?

PhaseOne, as we all know you could do better. So go ahead.

Frustrated,
C.

p.s. If anyone knows a working solution for MP to rotate JPEG's automatically, please let me know... :)
ce0se

Re: MP 1.2 and Win7 - jpeg DO NOT display as portrait

Postby rmoorlag » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:36 pm

Some images do not appear in the correct orientation when they are imported into MediaPro This is often the case with portrait (vertical) film images that have been scanned, or portrait images taken with digital cameras that do not record the camera's orientation in the EXIF metadata. Most new digital cameras record the orientation in the EXIF metadata. MediaPro respects this image orientation and automatically rotates the image thumbnail accordingly during the import process. It does on my system with camera original jpg's as converted jpg's from DNG.

You could send some images to see if others meet the same problems you do.
Roelof
rmoorlag

Postby ce0se » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:03 pm

I tried with ooc pictures made with Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 1D MarkII N, 30D, 50D, 600D, 400D, Olympus E-510, Nikon D300. It's the same with the jpegs of all of them. And to wipe out every doubt: IrfanView does show them the right orientation - they contain the right EXIF tags.

I would not have shouted out loud in this forum not having tried every jpeg i could get...

What does your system consist of? Which WIC-Codecs do you have installed?

kind regards,
c

p.s. The RAW-Files are all rotated the right way...
ce0se

Postby rmoorlag » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:25 pm

On my Win-7 32 bit laptop without any codecs the orientation in Media Pro is no problem and also on my Win 7 64 bit workstation with all kind of codecs (including the comercial FastPictureViewer Codec Pack).
I must say, i din't test on MP 1.2 (1.0 and 1.1 only) so that could be the issue here. Maybe others could mention their experience here on the most recent version?

My offer to test some of your images still stands :)

Roelof
rmoorlag

Return to Media Pro and Media Pro SE