Where to, now?

Discussions about Phase One Media Pro and Media Pro SE

Re: Where to, now?

Postby syncrasy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:12 pm

Paul Dymond wrote:Thanks Mark, apparently the 30 day trial [of Adobe Lightroom CC app for mobile devices] lets you use just the Library module after it expires but I'm not sure what happens to the ability to sync to the app. If you wouldn't mind letting me know in 30 days that would be great.

Reporting back to Paul...

After 30 days, the Lightroom CC app says "Trial Expired. To continue editing raw files, applying selective adjustments, and backing up and syncing your photos, you need to be a member of Creative Cloud."

So, as expected, syncing no longer works between mobile device and desktop if you let the trial version(s) expire.
— Mark
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (mid 2010), various OSs
DAM: Media Pro SE
Image Editors: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6

(as of 2018)
syncrasy

Postby syncrasy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:03 am

Revisiting this earlier observation of Lightroom Classic CC in "DAM only mode" (i.e., expired desktop trial version)...

syncrasy wrote:[...] I notice that the ability to launch an external editor (Edit In...) is gone, i.e., missing from the Photo menu. I can set up my external editor choices in Preferences, but they just aren't available for use by Lr. Is that normal behavior with an expired trial version?

Anyone know the answer? If this is normal behavior, then that eliminates "Lightroom in DAM only mode" as a viable alternative to MP.
— Mark

(as of 2018)
syncrasy

Postby NN634436865827023491UL » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:20 pm

To say I'm distressed that MP isn't going to be around for long is an understatement. I was hoping somehow the software would continue in spite of it being neglected for so long (maybe someone would buy it?).

Anyway, I'm exploring Photo Supreme as an option. But does anyone know what the workflow would look like using Photo Supreme as the cataloging software and Capture One 12 as the editor? I'm not super familiar with Capture so I would love to hear some thoughts.

If anyone cares to know, I use Peter Krogh's system of "buckets," as it made the most sense while using Media Pro.
NN634436865827023491UL

Postby Ian3 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:01 am

I watched Peter Krogh’s tutorials on YouTube but I don’t remember “buckets”. What was that?

Ian
Ian3

Postby syncrasy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:04 pm

Ian3 wrote:I watched Peter Krogh’s tutorials on YouTube but I don’t remember “buckets”. What was that?

Krogh's bucket system advocates using a folder structure that is simple and functional but emphatically not based on photo content. It's a philosophy intended to leverage your DAM's metadata functionality for organization.

Krogh introduced the idea in his 2006 book The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers, which was centered around iView MediaPro. Google has a book summary. Click the preview link. The bucket discussion starts on p. 67.

When I first bought iView MediaPro, I found the book very helpful in understanding DAM philosophy. I still use a bucket-type system, modified for my needs. I think the book should be required reading for all DAM users and software developers.
— Mark

(as of 2018)
syncrasy

Postby Ian3 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:59 pm

Thanks.

Ian
Ian3

Postby Edgephoto » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:15 pm

I tried Photo Supreme and the trial worked well. It was not an ideal system, neither is Media Pro, but it worked. Then I decided to spring for the license and after that it would crash when I tried to open it. I went as far as reinstalling my OS from scratch with no change. The developer gave me my money back as he had no clue.

I have decided to live with the catalog in C1. It gets a little better each version.
Edgephoto

Postby NN634436865827023491UL » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:46 pm

myotis wrote:
HansDeZomers wrote:
myotis wrote:I didn't like Photo Supreme

That's unfortunate. I've switched away from iView shortly after Microsoft acquired it. The concept in Photo Supreme is different, almost opposite, from that in iView/MediaPro.

Photo Mechanic is reknown for their good software and you can expect good things. But fact is that there is currently no PM6 and once released I expect the DAM features to be basic.

Photo Supreme was OK, and had some attractive features, but in the end I stuck with Media Pro, and added Neofinder as a "back up". Maybe "didn't like it" was a bit extreme, it was more that I didn't like it as much as the alternatives.

Photo Mechanic 5 is at the centre of my workflow, so regardless of the new DAM features, I would probably upgrade. I would also be happy to continue with Neofinder as it does what I want. Its very fast to use and to update catalogues, allows for complex searches/smart folders etc and has a responsive developer. But it still makes a lot of sense, given how much I rely on PM5, if I could also use it as a DAM.

When using Neo did you import your catalog sets from Media Pro? Or did you have to recreate them by hand? I'm trying to get my head around how NeoFinder works in that way...

Cheers,

Graham
NN634436865827023491UL

Postby C-F » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:21 pm

MacBook Pro late 2015 here,
I too got 'burned' by Photo Supreme (long story...)
Since then I 'discovered' Neofinder and plain love it - I use it to find and organize my 'work in progress' which is also centered around Photo Mechanic 5 (ingesting, labeling, rating, archiving, and backup originals). Once done, I move my images to their 'final' resting places and proceed to ->

For my DAM I went on creating a Parallels VM w Windows 10 and installed iMatch 2018 with seamless access through Mac OSX.
There I have all my (mainly) images (originals, derivates, and even iPad/iPhone pictures) catalogued - after the initial learning curve, it now all works like a charm.
To date, for me, it is the most versatile, stable, and responsive DAM I have tried out! Also support is VERY responsive.

I am aware that it may be a bit of 'overkill' for my current (nonprofessional) needs but at the same time have not found an instance that I could not resolve with this set up.

When using Neo did you import your catalog sets from Media Pro? Or did you have to recreate them by hand? I'm trying to get my head around how NeoFinder works in that way...

Well, Neofinder only catalogs what you tell it to - a folder, a directory tree, or an entire volume - it is up to you what you want - while cataloging it will maintain the existing directory/file structure present on your device(s).
It gives you access to your images even when they are 'off line' for viewing and finding - however to 'manipulate' you need to give it access to the storage device...

Hope that helps a bit.
C-F

Postby NN634436865827023491UL » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:48 pm

@C-F
I could see using Neofinder in a similar vein (or Photo Mechanic for that matter).

This is very helpful. I just discovered iMatch and was excited about the prospects but learned it was Windows and immediately poured myself a drink and sulked. But I thought the route you went re: running Parallels (though I have never done that so it kind of scares me...any tips or walk-throughs you know of?).

I'm a professional so a little "overkill" is necessary.

Really bummed Media Pro is no longer going to be supported. It really was a great option and from all the forums & software I've researched it really seems there is nothing which compares to it for the average professional.

P.S. you talk like you've read The Dam Book, which is incredibly helpful!
NN634436865827023491UL

Postby C-F » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:43 pm

(though I have never done that so it kind of scares me...any tips or walk-throughs you know of?).

Well, ditto, but I just downloaded the trial sw and installed, leaving everything at its default settings; then did the same with iMatch... guess I was 'lucky' it worked right out of the box...- after my test runs I just purchased the license keys.
Be aware though, there is a steep learning curve and it definitely is not the cheapest solution ( I upgraded my MacBook Pro to a 2TB ssd before starting the adventure + parallels sw, + Windows 10 sw, + iMatch). My most time consuming effort is to wade through my 12+ external HDD's and bring some order and standard naming while consolidating and eliminating duplicates. Right now I am about 30% done :shock: ...
The only 'inconvenience I found so far, and that seems a windows quirk, when hooking up external Hd's, the letter is not always the same so you have to manually tell iMatch where your images are ( funny part is, so far I have not found a pattern on when it changes or when it does not...).

P.S. you talk like you've read The Dam Book, which is incredibly helpful!

lol, right, not only one, but the original AND the latest edition - you are right very helpful in understanding the intricacies of what seems a 'black hole' of image organization.

btw, several bottles of rum will indeed do the trick... :wink:
C-F

Previous

Return to Media Pro / Media Pro SE