IQ4 cables / new connector.

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series digital camera backs.

IQ4 cables / new connector.

Postby narikin » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:48 pm

Tech cam user here - desperately need cables that work with the new plug on IQ4.
Are they on the way? My back is useless as is.

Really should have shipped with them in the box!

(I also miss the audio beep - that is missing from the firmware 1.0 - please put it on the list)
narikin

Re: IQ4 cables / new connector.

Postby Ulf » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:43 pm

Hi

Please make sure you are in contact with the partner from whom you purchased the equipment from.
It should be available very shortly.
Kind Regards
Ulf Liljegren
Phase One
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby narikin » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:48 pm

Thanks Ulf,

My dealer says he has 1 lead to test, so nothing as yet for me. I presume we are all being given one gratis as a late accessory for our IQ4 purchase?

What I really need is an IQ4 - Lemo (single pin/ 'CoAxial') connector for my Alpa FPS/Silex (I need high shutter speeds, and Copal can't give that) which obviously comes from Alpa, so I hope you have given your partners the pin specs, and making the IQ4 12 pin plugs available.

Quite honestly this has been very frustrating - I got one of the first batch, and have not had my default working setup for a month now.
narikin

Postby Philip B » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:03 pm

I am also a technical camera user. I have just downloaded and installed the new firmware version 1.01.18 which is supposed to "support two shot cable on multiport". I have tried it with my 8 pin connection through a Break Out Box giving a 12 pin connection to the back. But it doesn't seem to work. Please can Ulf or someone say what I am doing wrong.

Philip
Philip B

Postby Ulf » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:26 pm

Hi

The BoB is intended to be used with a XF body and not the back.
The cable solution is coming within weeks.

In regard to the lemo connector which is in the Alpa solution, I know that Alpa is working on it
( I hope I have not over step but boundaries here as I am sure Alpa will have IQ4 compatible solution)
I have currently no information on when Alpa will have this solution available.
Kind Regards
Ulf Liljegren
Phase One
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby narikin » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:35 pm

Ulf wrote:Hi

The BoB is intended to be used with a XF body and not the back.
The cable solution is coming within weeks.

In regard to the lemo connector which is in the Alpa solution, I know that Alpa is working on it
( I hope I have not over step but boundaries here as I am sure Alpa will have IQ4 compatible solution)
I have currently no information on when Alpa will have this solution available.

Agreed this is Alpa's job to make such cables, BUT... Phase need to supply IQ4 firmware that has tech camera sync ability, same as IQ3-100, *and* allow Alpa & others, them to buy 90degree/ right angle 12pin connectors to make those leads.

AFAIK, Alpa are resorting to buying the Hahnel release from you to get the plug, as you are not releasing them. Is this true, or (I hope) a false rumor? They are 'partners' of yours and are helping sell your backs to people like me, and serious tech cam users, so I hope you are allowing them access to these basic components.
narikin

Postby Philip B » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:11 pm

They may have been intended for the camera but the BOB (and the old Phase One electronic shutter release) both work perfectly to trigger the electronic shutter on the back. Even with the new firmware neither will wake the back up to enable the Copal shutter to be used. I know that something is promised but the demo version which Teamwork had was just a cable with a flash socket at one end and a 12 pin connection at the other. (We couldn’t make that work either but that may have been because they had not uploaded the new firmware.) If that is what the solution is going to be then the special Phase One trigger on my Alpa (which enables handholding) will not work because it ends in an 8 pin connection. The fact that the BOB and the old style shutter release both work suggests that the problem is internal to the back and that it should be possible to fix it. As the last contributor said, Alpa are partners and Phase One should be making it possible to use their existing accessories.

So far as I know, there was no warning that the connection was going to be changed and I have to say that I am disappointed. In all other respects the back is absolutely brilliant with a technical camera and I am delighted with it.

Philip
Philip B

Return to Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series camera backs