Leaf Digital Mag -- Making your own...UPDATED

Question regarding:Phase One H25, H20, H101, H10, H5, LightPhase, PowerPhase FX / FX +, PowerPhase, PhotoPhase and StudioKit.
Leaf Valeo, C-Most, Cantare, Volare and DCB.

Leaf Digital Mag -- Making your own...UPDATED

Postby bendt » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:09 pm

Trying to "Build" my own DM as these seem to be few between at the moment.

Have a Valeo 22 back on an RZ - FW400 connected to a FW400 hub/repeater that is powered by 12volt, then connected to a 200 gb IDE HD (500 gb SATA does not seem to want to work).

When powered up, the back beeps, amber light flashes, then turns solid green. The back adds the LEAFDM SYS files to the drive:
LEAFDM SYS
-Gain_Data
-Gain 0433018-02110
Leaf_Digital_Magazine_Data
-CamProfile
-Leaf_Tables
-Develop_Curves
-Gray_Balance
-ICC_Profile_List
-Selections
-Sharpness
-Shoot_Setups
-version

But when i do a shot - nothing. No flashing light on the back and no transfer of raw files to the HD.

I was told by Yair that this should work and did set up the drive per this tread:
http://forum.phaseone.com/Leaf/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=86

So just wondering if anyone that has a DM setup could look to see what file(s) i am missing to make this work.

I did try adding a SHOTS folder to the LEAFDM SYS folder, but that didn't work.

Any Ideas? - Thanks
Last edited by bendt on Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
bendt

Re: Leaf Digital Mag -- Making your own...

Postby yaya » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:22 pm

Bendt as per my email you need to tell the back which camera it is mounted on. Either with an iPaq or with Leaf Capture V8 (by creating a shoot setup and loading it to the HDD)

Yair
--
Yair Shahar | Product Manager - Cultural Heritage |Phase One
e: ysh@phaseone.com | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 |
yaya
Crew
Crew

Postby LarryS » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:33 pm

I have a Leaf Valeo 22 that I normally shoot tethered in the studio. Having read this thread, does this mean I can build my own DM and shoot untethered? I wouldn't have to see the images, could be like shooting film. Is this possible?
LarryS

Postby bendt » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:45 pm

Supposed to be...

I am using a older 80 gig IDE (SATA will not work for me) 2.5" drive in a FW 400 case Formated as LEAF-DM fat 32 - that is connected to a Powered FW 400 repeater/hub. this connects to a 12 volt power source and then via FW 400 to the Valeo 22 Back.

It all powers up just fine and the Valeo Back transfers all the needed info to the drive.

When i connect the drive via FW400 to my mac and use LC 8.x.x - i can access the drive to set it up and load the shoot set-ups... But

My main problem is that I cannot set any of the set-ups to default (as the directions show) there is no Default "Button" in the window anywhere.

that seems to be the only thing keeping me from tetherless shooting. Where is the Default Button?
bendt

Postby LarryS » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:43 pm

Why the powered FW Repeater/Hub?

Let's get this figured out.
LarryS

Postby bendt » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:11 pm

the powered hub/repeater is needed to get power to the Valeo Back via the FW 400 cable - i use it to power both the HD & the Back.

My main problem is not being able to set a default Shoot Setup in the Arange for Portable window in LC 8.x.x - It wont show the Default Button for me to select. I can move the Shoot Setups to the drive, but no way to select.

Everything else seems to be setup ok - So i am not sure if the software is the issue or what. You have to use the LC 8.x.x version to set the drive up for Portable use, the newer versions wont do it.

I have tried it on both Leopard and snow leopard with no luck - hope i dont have to go back any farther.
bendt

Postby LarryS » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:21 pm

Which hub did you buy? I can't seem to find one with a 12v power source, or even better, battery powered.
LarryS

Postby bendt » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:30 pm

This is the hub i bought -

http://industrialcomponent.com/unibrain/unifwrep4.html

works well.
bendt

Postby LarryS » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:51 pm

So you still have to plug the hub into an AC power source?
LarryS

Postby bendt » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:14 pm

You can use either a Wall-wort/power supply to supply the 12 volts to the hub or use a battery and a 1/4 " power plug to power it. The hub itself needs 12 - 30 volts DC Power - this in turn supplies power to what ever you have plugged into it.

So i have the power source / Hub supplying the needed voltage to the Back and the HD.

So to use this portable you will need to carry a battery pack of some sort, but so does the old Leaf/Creo system.
bendt

Postby bendt » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:41 pm

If anyone has a Leaf Dm set-up and working, I would like to hear from you so i can get this working. I think i'm close - i just need to make sure i have all the files loaded correctly and find out why i cannot get the default button to show up in the LC8.4.6 when setting up the back foe portable.

Bendt - 612-669-6880

Anyone... Bueller?
bendt

Postby yaya » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:56 am

You might be better off buying an old ipaq and using it for controlling the back in the field...

Yair
--
yaya
Crew
Crew

Postby bendt » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:20 pm

Yeah i think i have figured that out. Seems that with LC 8.3.2 - *.4.6 you have to use the IPaq to aset a default shoot profile. No other way to do it that i can find.

What IPaq's are best to use?

What OS has to be on the IPaq (Windows Mobile) - does it have to be V 6?

Also do i need the cable between the ipaq and the Valeo 22wi back or will it work via Bluetooth?

Thanks.
bendt

Postby yaya » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:33 pm

bendt wrote:Yeah i think i have figured that out. Seems that with LC 8.3.2 - *.4.6 you have to use the IPaq to aset a default shoot profile. No other way to do it that i can find.

What IPaq's are best to use?

What OS has to be on the IPaq (Windows Mobile) - does it have to be V 6?

Also do i need the cable between the ipaq and the Valeo 22wi back or will it work via Bluetooth?

Thanks.

49xx, 51xx, 21xx and 19xx were all good, either with Win Mobile 2003 or 6.0

You can use a cable or Bluetooth
--
yaya
Crew
Crew

Postby bendt » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:48 am

Update on Building your own LEAF DM.

This is a list of what I am using - You may be able to get it to work with different components...

- VALEO 22wi Back

- Hard Drive - 60 gigabyte ATA 2.5 inch - this is an older HD that i removed from my Mac Laptop when i replaced it. I tried a SATA Drive in the begining, but the Valeo Back did not seem to see it.

The Hard Drive is formatted as in this link - http://forum.phaseone.com/Leaf/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=86
BUT label it as LEAF-DM - Not LEAF_DM - the 22wi back would only see the HD as LEAF-DM. Once this is formatted, power up the drive and then connect it to the Back via the fw400 cable. The back will then put all the files it needs on the drive untill you use LC 8.4.6 and the Ipaq.

- FW 400 2.5 inch POWERED Case Model PHR-250CC - You need to use a Powered case so that you can apply power to the HD.

- UniBrain Fire Repeater 400 - This is a powered HUB/Repeater for firewire 400 - This will supply the power to the HD and the VALEO Back. Also makes it easy to plug in to the computer to get your images, and you don't need to unplug the drive to do it- it has 3 FW 400 ports. Powered by a 12 volt supply/Battery ( can accept 12 to 30 volts and will output 12 volts). the Power can be supplied by either a Battery or a wall wort 120 volt power supply - I have been using a wall wort that puts out 12 volts @ 1 amp (1000ma) and it works just fine.

Don't have the Back and the Computer plugged into the Repeater together - this seams to lock everything up. Un mount and unplug the Back before you plug into the computer to download images.

The Unibrain and the HD together are ~1 pound or less. I plan to put these in a hip pack with the battery - not on the camera like the LEAF version. My RZ is heavy enough.

- LC 8.4.6 - You need this software to set the HD for Portable use. With the Valeo 22wi you Can Not set a Default Camera Set Up. Version 8 will allow this but it adds a different file system to the drive that is meant for the Valeo 8 & 11 Backs - at least this is what i can figure out. The 22wi will not see this older file system and will then add its newer version.

- IPAQ 5xxx Pocket PC. - you can use other versions, but this is one i picked up off ebay for $65 and the 5xxx series has a few more options on it. It has Pocket PC 2002 OS on it and seems to work just fine - may update to 2003 later. You have to use the Ipaq to be able to select the camera profile and to make this back work for portable use. It can not be done with the LC software.

The Ipaqs can be a Bugger to use sometimes. So expect some hair pulling - Hey its Microsoft what do you expect.

- LEAF DP-67 Software - Version 1.2.1 is the latest i could find. Load the .exe file on to your Ipaq ( i put it in the personal folder) and launch it - it will extract and install.

When you start the DP-67 software you need to find the back and select it - It will ask you for a PIN - This is NOT in the DP-67 Directions that i could find - The Default PIN is 1234. Then it wants you to enter your own PIN as well. Once this is done it will Initialize the IPAq to the Back.

From then on it seems to work great - and quite fast. So far.

The Images are stored along with the "System" files on the HD - I didn't want these to be mixed in so i added a SHOTS folder - there is a section to do this i the DP-67 menus, then just choose that folder.

Will try to upload so images of the HD/repeater/camera set up in a day or so.

Also with a 60 gig HD you can shoot up to 1,383 images. That should do for a while.

One option to try is using a CF Card in a CF firewire 400 reader - this would make it very light and use very little power. But the HD's are cheap for the size.
bendt

Next

Return to Phase One and Leaf Legacy one-shot and scan camera back