How often does something have to fail before P1 replaces it?

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 DF / DF+ and Mamiya 645 DF / DF+
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

How often does something have to fail before P1 replaces it?

Postby David Cohen de Lara » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:30 pm

My Schneider-Kreuznach 110mm lens has been back to Phase One twice already. It locked up once during a shoot, got 'fixed', then locked up again a week later during another shoot. I sent it back to get 'fixed' again, got it back, did one flawless shoot with it and today during my second shoot since getting it fixed the second time, the leaf shutter failed me again. So tomorrow I'm taking it back to the dealer for the THIRD time since summer. I feel like I'm spending more time getting my gear fixed than I am shooting. I really don't want to take this lens on shoots anymore knowing how likely it is to fail. I want a different copy.

My 645DF body is a similar story. It locked up, I got it fixed, and a week later it locked up again in a different way. I'm not going anywhere without a backup body (and a full D800 kit) because this equipment is just so unreliable. If my 645DF body gets 'fixed' and fails again, will Phase One replace it with a different copy or just keep me coming back to my dealer for repairs until my warranty runs out?
David Cohen de Lara

Re: How often does something have to fail before P1 replaces it?

Postby Drew » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:35 am

David,
Looking into the 110mm lens it seems your dealer has dealt with the issue appropriately.
The first repair was a simple one, it appears to have been some damage to the unit. It was not determined if it was physical damage or not but was done quick and easy... no connection to the shutter, just basic mechanics.
The second repair was indeed the shutter which was promptly replaced and fast tracked for repair. We wouldn't expect that to fail at all and if has indeed failed there will be a serious investigation into the unit and likely a replacement depending on what we find. A lens that fails like this would be considered an outlier and, for investigation purposes, would be sent to the R&D department to determine an exact cause. Since that takes time it's likely that a replacement would be provided to you for convenience purposes.

Follow up with your dealer and we'll have it taken care of today.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby NN159009UL4 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:30 pm

Really?
NN159009UL4

Postby Drew » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:52 pm

NN159009UL4 wrote:Really?

Really what?
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Drew » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:52 pm

In the case of David's lens, while investigating today with the dealer, it does not seem that there is an error with the 110mm lens after all. We are looking into it but so far the lens, and more importantly the shutter, does not seem to be in any error.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby David Cohen de Lara » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:26 pm

Ok so you say it's not the lens. Is it the body? The body I was using was a loaner DF+ because my own DF is (you guessed it) in repair. Again. Maybe it's the back? I've been getting 'Cap DB' and 'Err DB' errors with this back on two different bodies but you guys say that's not a problem with the back. Frankly I don't care *what* is causing all these problems, I just want them fixed. I've got a job to do. I know Phase One is not known for its reliability (understatement of the year) but this is is getting insane. I've already purchased backups of everything except my 110mm and IQ160 back, but I'm starting to fear one backup of everything is not enough at the rate this stuff fails.

And lastly, will I be expected to just take that 110mm on my next shoot and keep my fingers crossed hoping that it will hold up? Tell me honestly if you would be comfortable doing that on a commercial shoot.
David Cohen de Lara

Postby Drew » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:33 pm

David Cohen de Lara wrote:... Tell me honestly if you would be comfortable doing that on a commercial shoot.

Absolutely, as again it's not the lens!

We've spoken with your dealer and simply agreed to take all your kit in for thorough testing to put any concerns to rest.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby David Cohen de Lara » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:38 pm

Drew wrote:We've spoken with your dealer and simply agreed to take all your kit in for thorough testing to put any concerns to rest.

Great. That's what I wanted. I will take everything down to my dealer now.
David Cohen de Lara

Return to Phase One 645DF and DF+ / Mamiya 645DF and DF+