645DF+ & 80mm Kraus Common Problem or bug ?

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 DF / DF+ and Mamiya 645 DF / DF+
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

645DF+ & 80mm Kraus Common Problem or bug ?

Postby flashsplash » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:13 am

I have the 645DF+ with the 80mm Kraus lens. The camera is acting up every so often, it will not focus (Single, Manual).
The only solution is to remove the lens from the body and fit it again.

This is a new camera with only 200 shots with firmware CF220. I have been back to the dealer who exchanged the body and the lens with a new one. Never the less the brand new camera does exactly the same... No way to focus. Not all the time but every so often, especially while turning on the camera or changing mode........

Anybody else that has this problem ???? It could be a bug...

Regards Steve
flashsplash
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: 645DF+ & 80mm Kraus Common Problem or bug ?

Postby Jon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:28 pm

This is a bug that can occur on some cameras. Contact your dealer and we can arrange for an older firmware version that may have some different performance characteristics for your situation.
Jon
Crew
Crew

Postby flashsplash » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Thanks John,

So we are talking about a patch until a final release is out ?
Does that mean that you (Phase One) has identified this as a potential bug and it is included as a bug fix in the next release for the body ?
I will pass the message to my dealer, I assume he is aware of the fix (temp). Or can you tell me what patch it is ?

Regards Steve
flashsplash
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Jon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi Steve,

I was perhaps a bit vague here and your dealer will be able to work with us to get you the best possible solution. Basically we have had some different releases that are no longer available on our website that have different performance characteristics. Essentially we can match the best version to your type of shooting for the time being.
Jon
Crew
Crew

Postby flashsplash » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi John,

Thanks, I will visit the dealer tomorrow and he told me that he has the fix.
But what i read from you is going back in time and not really a fix... Are you planning a new release soon ?

P.S I will let you now what the outcome is.
Regards Steve
flashsplash
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby flashsplash » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:34 am

Good news :D :D :D

The new software for the 645DF+ body did fix the issue.... The version is CF C99 "223" and it really fixed the lock-up problems.

Regards Steve
flashsplash
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby flashsplash » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:39 am

John,

It works as I stated, but can you tell me what has changed or which features or other aspects my no longer work because of the fix (older). I think that it is importend information, so I know what to expect. My dealer could not tell me, since he did not got the info.

I could ask it at the POCP training in the UK next month since I am signed up..... but since you responded so well I would like to ask as well.

Thanks in advance

Steve
flashsplash
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby trondsa » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi Steve,

I have the same experience.

I have been using version 2.23 for three weeks now, and I have not experienced any issues or lockups.

Before, with version 2.20, my 645DF+ would lockup within minutes, and I had to detach/re-attach the lens every time to get the camera going again.

The issue seems related to the power-save period of the 645DF in relation to the IQ180 back power-save period.

With both camera and back in constant on, no issues, with camera and/or back in power-save mode, f.ex five minutes as I use, the camera locks up immediately after power-save when you push the release button to focus or measure the light.

I am very glad PhaseOne have now fixed this problem, so let us hope they finish their regression testing of the new version and do a public release soon.

I don´t know what other issues are fixed, but the camera feels much more responsive and stable than before.

Best regards

Trond
trondsa

Postby flashsplash » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:49 pm

Tanks Trond,

Same experience and feelong here with the new / Beta release. I am shooting for 3 weeks in Wales with it. I am so happy that it works, so I do not need to pull-out my back-up D800E.

So you think it had to see with the power save. I always used the camera in the normal mode, whereby the "Wake-up" pulse (after focus) would activate the DB followed by the exposure pulse.
So my guess was that the issue was more related to the improved fast focusing.... more so since the removal of the lens worked in most cases as a fix. Every so often I had to remove back as well. I had never tried the constant power mode as it drains the batteries to fast.

Do you have a bug fix list and open issue list on this release ?

Much appreciated,

Steve
flashsplash
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby trondsa » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:59 pm

Dear Steve,

No, I do not have the release notes for the beta FW 2.23, so I would´t know what else might be fixed.

My impression is that the camera is much more stable than before.

In my case the lockup happened immediately after the camera or the back wake-up after sleep, and the problem was less frequent if I used the camera in constant on, and the back set to sleep after five minutes.

As you rightfully point out, the battery drain is a problem, so I carried six fresh batteries for the back, and two for the camera...

Better that, than to risk failing the shoot altogether!

Have a nice trip to Wales, but I would still bring that D800E, as a backup...

Best regards

Trond
trondsa

Return to Phase One 645DF and DF+ / Mamiya 645DF and DF+