workflows

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

workflows

Postby damienlovegrove » Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:01 pm

Here is my new P25 workflow for my portrait work as at 14th Dec 2004. I'm now 6 weeks in to using C1 and still have a fair bit to learn.

I Create a new session using C1 on my fast Firewire 2 external hard disk. I capture on 2Gb Lexar 80x card using 'small' file. 118 captures per card, or directly into the session folder via my G4 Powerbook when in the studio.
I import files from card with renaming and auto preview building.
Once previews are built, I click through the thumbnails using the right arrow key and mark the keepers with a number 1 - 9 and I group the images using this system.
I choose arrange by tagged from the view menu. I select the tagged set and rename them with a sensible name and number. Then I select the untagged images and delete them.

I select suitable 'film curves' or linear as required. Note: Linear is far more useful than I fist thought.
The settings for colour, exposure, and sharpening are made using 'copy across selections' where posable.
I then batch process to 16 bit tiffs in Adobe 1998 at 254dpi 100%
These get adjusted in Pshop for selective tone and colour before droping down to 8 bit.
In 8 bit any further effects or cloning etc. takes place. The various effects options remain on seperate layers in the tiff.
Viewing files at screen resolution are made using autofit via a batch command.
Iview Media Pro is used for the sales session with the client.
Printing files are resized and made from the 8 bit high res images.
I archive the tagged captures, the associated settings and the high res unsized 8 bit tiffs.
Last edited by damienlovegrove on Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

Postby damienlovegrove » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:45 am

Come on P20 P25 shooters. Are there any commercial or wedding workflows you can share with us. There are many ways of using the kit and some of the best ways are not always the obvious ones.
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

workflows

Postby damienlovegrove » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:18 pm

I've made quite a few major changes to my Capture One workflow since the previous post that have streamlined my shoot, show, edit, and print system. I'm still keen to see other peoples working methods and share ideas. :)
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

Postby Ashley11 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:51 pm

Nothing like talking to yourself Damien :D

As a commercial / advertising photographer:
I simple go through the images, make adjustments (colour, levels, lens cast, etc) and process one at a time or in small batches if the images are grouped together.
I only process as 16 bit if I notice something like banding - very, very rare.
Everything is processed at 100%, 300ppi, 8 bit, Adobe 1998 RGB.

Once all the files are processed I go through them in PhotoShop.
We have some actions saved in PhotoShop to produce contact sheets, cmyk files, web preview images, etc.
Really quite simple - I don't really look at it as a work flow, just preview and process.

We do tag shots throughout the day if we all agree \"that's the one\".

All capture files are backed up onto a separate external hard drive.

Finished tiff files RGB and CMYK are backed up onto another hard drive plus a DVD. Client get a DVD or CD containing finished Cmyk and RGB images.

Job done.
Ashley11

Postby damienlovegrove » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:37 am

Thanks Ashley, very useful info. I assume you delete as you go during the shoot. I've tried having a picture editor delete on the run during a studio shoot but this has caused C1 to crash. I often take 100 frames + and select down to just 20 or so prior to fine adjustments and processing.
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

Re:

Postby Ashley11 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:25 am

You said: I assume you delete as you go during the shoot.
No.
We only delete at the end of the day once all the images have been processed.

You said: I've tried having a picture editor delete on the run during a studio shoot but this has caused C1 to crash.
Our PowerBook would have crashed before we upgraded the hard drive to a 7200rpm model. No crashes anymore.

We took 300+ captures today and ended up with 12 final images.
Ashley11

Postby damienlovegrove » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:47 pm

Hi Ashley,

When I take 300+ shots in a session ( stock shoot etc.) I mark the keepers as we go then choose select by tag. We can then select the non keepers (no tag) and delete them in one go at the end. We only process what we want to use. It takes my G4 Powerbook about 90 seconds to process an image so to do 300 would be an overnight job.

How long does it take you to process 300 shots? are you using quick proof or full quality?

D.
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

Postby Ashley11 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:24 pm

I don't process all 300 just the \"keepers\", same as you.

We transfer all the image from the PowerBook to the G5 (dual processor) via FireWire (restart your laptop with the T key held down).

Processing a full size image/ file on the G5 takes about 40 seconds.
Ashley11

Re: workflows

Postby aaanorton » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:23 pm

damienlovegrove wrote:Once previews are built, I click through the thumbnails using the right arrow key and mark the keepers with a number 1 - 9 and I group the images using this system.

I'm a bit fuzzy on this "1-9" thing. Could you elaborate please?
My selects get tagged. Preferably this is done after each shot, but sometimes it has to wait til the end of the day. Each shot, for me, gets a new folder in the session folder named (ingeniously) shot01, shot02 etc. Incidentally, I also name the files with the same scheme. I then select all tagged files and drag them to a Selects folder I have already created in the session. I make Selects folders for each shot or for the entire session, depending on the amount of frames, shots and selects. It is debatable as to whether copying or moving the files to the Selects folder is best. For me, it depends on whether I will be supplying my client with the RAW files or just the processed TIFFs (always 16 bit). I have made a feature request to Phase regarding this process. It would be great to be able to view Only Tagged, Only Untagged or Tagged and Untagged files on the fly. This would allow you to quickly view an edit without the need for additional folders.
I've heard of another method for this, but have never implemented it myself. It goes like this: rename your session's Trash folder to Selects (or whatever) and when you see a file you like, just delete it. As long as you had emptied the trash before editing, your trash should now be a selects folder. Emptying the trash at this point would not be good, so be careful.
All my sessions go, as quickly as possible, to a RAID 5 server, where they can be accessed by any of the other machines. My main setup is all packed aboard a large Sprinter van and I go on location to work.
Generally, I process only the keepers, but occasionally I need to process out an edit of several thousand files to be edited down more, by other people.
aaanorton

Tagging

Postby damienlovegrove » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:39 am

The 1 to 9 thing:

If you have a thumnail highlighted pressing any of the number keys will tag the image with that number. So for all the main pictures you might choose 1 then for the close up details 2 etc. If you chose to arrange by 'tagged' it groups the pictures in the correct order for you. It's better than the tick option.

I hope this helps.

Damien.
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

Postby aaanorton » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:21 am

That explains it, thanks.
aaanorton

Postby photo41 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:09 am

I apologise for asking such a simple question, but I don;t seem to be able to retrieve my pics if it's not saved on a Cf card. In other words, after my shoot, I download the entire disk to my hard drive. In C1 however, I don;t seem to be able to \"import\" these pics from the hard drive. Can you assist?
photo41

Postby damienlovegrove » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:55 pm

You are not alone and it is not a silly question. Sometimes C1 will ask me what to do with the images on my CF card when I put it in my Firewire reader and sometimes not. When it blatently ignores the CF card, the system for getting the pictures imported with auto preview building etc. is not obvious.
Any help appreciated.
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

CF card import

Postby Daniel1111 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:20 am

I have noticed the same problem - when I insert the CF card occasionally the auto import dialog box does not activate. My current work-around is to eject the card and try again with a more firm insertion into the reader. Usually this works. If anyone knows of a way to prompt the auto import feature from C1 with the card already in, I'd be glad to know.
Thanks
Daniel

P25/H1 G4 1.5 ghz 1GB RAM
Daniel1111

Postby Adrian12 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:47 pm

Hi Damien

Here is my workflow, I've been working with the P25 since November and this seems to work OK.

I always shoot untethered the cards are then downloaded into Capture One. I have enough Cards to shoot all day without using the same card twice. (20gigs in total) Most of the Cards are 1-2 gig. I also have a single 250meg card which I call my 'Polaroid Card' We use this card to test all new shots or lighting setups. This way we only shoot finished setups on the main cards.

As I mostly shoot on location we download into a laptop. During our lunch break we backup the capture file to two seperate firewire drives. This is done again at the end of the day. So when we finish shooting the data is in four places, Laptop, CF Cards and 2x firewire drives.

The capture folder is then dragged from a firewire drive into my desktop, by double clicking on the .session file the images are automatically loaded into capture one.

I then do a technical edit and process the files to quickproof low res jpegs which are then printed to 12x16 contact sheets. I supply these to my clients as I find clients still prefer to edit in analogue form.

Once my clients have made their selection I process the chosen files to 16bit tiffs, I make basic adjustments in photoshop levels,curves etc. I then present the client with 8bit tiffs in RGB. I also print a colour reference image so the client knows what the image should look like.

When all is finished I archive the capture file to 2x DVD's (different Brands) and keep a copy of the capture folder on a large hard drive as well. I use portfolio to keep track of everything.

I hope this is usefull!

Warm wishes

Adrian
Adrian12

Next

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs