MacBook Pro - Tethered, which one if any?

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

MacBook Pro - Tethered, which one if any?

Postby eddie122 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi Fellow users and Supporters - Is there a MacBook Pro that you can shoot tethered to that supplies enough power to the back (P40+) instead of running off the batteries? They always run out just as i'm about to shoot. I have 3 batteries at the moment but as soon as it starts to die, I end up have to reboot the back, camera and Cap 5.2.

Any feedback would be most appreciated, and model number / size even better?

I believe that most new Mac's don't provide enough power to work tethered and power at the same time.

If not, can anyone suggest a brand or number of a battery that will hold a charge over a longer period.

I dread to think how long batteries will last in the winter months!

Is there any way the back can be externally powered, say from a Quantum or something similar?

Cheers as usual Eddie Mac (London) :?:
eddie122

Re: MacBook Pro - Tethered, which one if any?

Postby Drew » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:17 pm

Eddie,
All new Intel based MacBook PRO machines are built to the same firewire spec. This is not enough to support and power the back. Your options are to;
1. Shoot to Battery Power (use batteries with a rating of 2500mAh at a minimum)
2. Shoot through a Powered Firewire Repeater Hub
http://www.phaseone.com/search/article. ... nguageid=1
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby eddie122 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:57 pm

Thanks Drew, you are a star - Looking into the powered firewire next.

All the best Eddie :D
eddie122

Postby eddie122 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:18 pm

Hi Drew, read through the article you linked to :
http://www.phaseone.com/search/article. ... nguageid=1

Still a little unclear about what / which numbered item will do the job, if any.
I shoot on a newish Intel MacBook Pro 15"
P40+
Battery powered on back

But ideally I would like to power the back from another source - Is there a specific unit that will enable me to do this while tethered to the MacBook, daisy chaining...

Every time I change battery it crashes the workflow, hope you see my problem.

Thanks Eddie
eddie122

Postby Drew » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:25 pm

Eddie,
Sorry, I should have supplied that article too.
At the bottom of the article you listed are a set of "Products" that we have tested and determined to work to spec. Any of those will be the missing link in your daisy-chain (aside from the laptop card). I personally like the SIIG unit but they are hard to find, they make something similar but I have not tested it;
http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=NN-H60112
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby MarkBatchelour » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:55 am

This may not be what you are looking for, but; I use an old Ibook G4 mac to power my tethered only H20 back over a 10m firewire cable. it supplies enough power, and runs Capture One 4.8.3 DB which I set to "Pack as EIP", then just move my files over to my main machine when I get home. Batteries last about 1.5hrs worth of shooting (and cost about £25).
MarkBatchelour

Postby Henrik22 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:26 pm

I usually shoot to a Macbook white (not even pro ;) tethered and have the macbook hooked up to an external battery. Being a cheap bugger i opted to build my own solution based off a normal lead battery, about $100 and a pure sinus-wave converter ($120). This gives me about 10 hours of work time and then whatever is in the computers battery (as it's recharged while connected to the battery ;). The batteries re-charge through a normal 12V car-battery charger, and if push comes to shove, i can use the same connections to the car-battery on my car. However, being stranded with a dead car might not be the best solution just to shoot a few frames more ;D

There are more "cool" solutions but they are basically the same innards anyway ;D
Henrik22

Postby yaya » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:08 pm

The FW 400 repeater shown in this article should work with P+ backs and can be obtained through all Leaf dealers (some of which also sell Phase One):
http://www.phaseone.com/en/search/article.aspx?articleid=2132&languageid=1

Yair
yaya
Crew
Crew

Postby fabee » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:32 pm

MarkBatchelour wrote:This may not be what you are looking for, but; I use an old Ibook G4 mac to power my tethered only H20 back over a 10m firewire cable. it supplies enough power, and runs Capture One 4.8.3 DB which I set to "Pack as EIP", then just move my files over to my main machine when I get home. Batteries last about 1.5hrs worth of shooting (and cost about £25).

Dear MarkBatchelour,

I would like to ask you about your configuration.
Could you plase tell me the specification of your iBook G4 and the version of the operation system? Thank you!

I have a H10 (the 11 MP one) digital back, and I tried to use it on my friens's iBook G4 (1.33 Ghz PowerPC G4, 1 GB DDR SDRAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11), but it doesn't work. It seems that it doesn't get enough power from the FireWire port.

Is it possible that some of the iBook G4 give enough juice via FireWire port, but the others don't?

The digital back worked well on PC laptop (with DC powered PCMCIA/FW slot) and on a newer style Mac laptop (I can't remember the type).

Thank you!
Best regards,
fabee
fabee

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs