Power Conditioner repeater box

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

Power Conditioner repeater box

Postby Steve Martin » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:24 pm

I know rumours are suppose to be kept off the forum, how ever this one may be of intrest. I understand from the ministry of stupid questions that the Power conditioner/repeater system used for location work with the H backs can also be used with the P backs. So dont' trade them in just yet. Very useful information I thought. Haven't tested how long they may last yet but they work i know that much!

Regards

Steve :D
Steve Martin

Postby Jesper1 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:18 am

Just to clarify any confusion here: The batteri inside the P-backs are suppose to act like the old \"portable\" solution. However this function are not currently supported but it will be sorted out very shortly.

So the use of the old portable solution with repeater and battery may extend the battery inside the P back allthough it is not needed.
Jesper1
Crew
Crew

Power Conditioner cont........

Postby Steve Martin » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:53 am

Having posted this point yesterday read with some confusion this moring the response from a Phase One staff member.
Am aware that the P backs are un tethered solutions however the point was aimed to suggest that in certain shooting situations (i.e. up a mountain in cold conditions when a battery can suffer due to poor temp)
the digital back can if you have run out of P type batteries can be powered by the Power conditioner. This also has the advantage say to be stored inside a warm jacket where the battery may last longer as it does not get as cold. Have a client off on a job such as this soon. Would be good to know if it does/can work, or is just some freak occurance from the firmware/design of the product.

Having had the back powered up and capturing (P25 H1 fit) without the P type battery in place it would suggest that it does work (but not supported). Having not spent a morning doing tests to see for how long can not comment on this point. Please clarify the situation in more detail on this one as the posted reply to the original posting seems to be a little vague.
Steve Martin

Postby Eric Joakim » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:03 pm

I think I can help to clarify this.
The photographer is taking his P25 (with H1) to the top of a glacier. In other words, it will be extremely cold. So he was worried that the batteries might suffer so was looking for an external battery pack that he could keep under his clothing so the cold would not adversely affect the battery performance. To this end he can use the (old style) Phase One Portable Solution (the external battery, IEEE repeater and Firewire cable) to power the P25. So it is correct that you can use the old portable solution with a P series back.
This caused some confusion - why use an external battery for a device with a built-in battery? Now we know why.
Interestingly the P25 has been used successfully in -15 degrees centigrade with the built-in battery. It seems Li-Ion batteries do not suffer so badly with cold so the external battery may be overkill. Still, better safe than sorry in such extreme conditions.
Eric Joakim
Crew
Crew

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs