Dust and chip pimples

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

Dust and chip pimples

Postby John 6 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:06 am

i am wondering what everyone's experience is with dust problems on their P25. I previoulsy had a Kodak ProBack and I never had dust issues at all. maybe this was because there was an AA filter. On any aperture tighter than, say, f16, i get fairly defined dust crap in my sky and other areas. I also notice that sometimes i get a white pinpoint in the sky blue areas - i am unsure if this is something in the sky or a dead pixel -- it is inconsistent in location. in any event, I am wondering what everone's experiences seem to be. I have used the digiclean kit once and the chip seemed virtually dust free after some test shots. i never take the back off. just curious. some of these dust spots were very stubborn to get off last time.
John 6

Postby damienlovegrove » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:47 am

Hi Jfaier, I think dust is always going to be a 'digital' problem that needs attention from time to time. For photographic style reasons I rarely shoot above f5.6, or include sky in my pictures therefore I'm lucky. I make a visual inspection of the chip surface before any shoot and use a sable brush to remove any particles of dust. It is worth noting that dust entering via the camera is very common. Every lens change sees a turbulant air that comes and goes into camera chamber. The airborne dust swirls around and settles on the chip and mirror usually. At apertures smaller than f11 the airborn dust itself can cast shadows on the chip and if the dust particles are close enough to the chip during exposure you might be fooled to thinking they are on the surface of the chip. Imagine standing in a small room while someone wafts a big sheet of plywood up and down. It's like that inside the camera every time the mirror is triggered. On the whole though I find the P25 no worse than my Fuji S2's.

Damien.
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

Postby Ashley11 » Sun May 01, 2005 12:56 am

Hi Jfaier
Working with the Hasselblad V system - I find it almost dust free and I would shoot a lot at f11 with the 40mm lens.
Rarely see more than three or four spots even when shooting images containing lots of blue skies.

It's the one big thing I like about the digital backs over the 35mm systems.

Ashley
Ashley11

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs