Battery problems

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

Battery problems

Postby damienlovegrove » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:14 am

I'm having real problems with powering my P25 unteathered. I have 3 batteries supplied by Phase One and the Hanhel charger. Sometimes I find none of the batteries will work and other times they do even though I have a good system of cycling them. There is nothing worse than having to put batteries in and out of the back a dozen times hoping it might just decide to switch on. When it does eventually switch on the indicator shows a full battery. Any ideas before I send the P25 back for repair?

Regards,

Damien.
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

Postby Ulf » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:18 pm

Few pointers.

1. Make sure that red lights goes on under the battery when charging.
2. If back does not turn on when inserting battery then use power button.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby damienlovegrove » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:13 pm

Thanks for the quick response. As you know the battery charger is a bit ambiguous. If you put a charged or only partly used battery on the charger no light appears. I'm pretty sure the batteries are all charged however It may be the charger that is faulty but I'm not sure and I have no way of knowing. I've tried the power button on the back with no sucess either. I'm going to send the whole lot back as I can't live with the uncertainty of not being able to get the back to switch on under battery power.
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

Postby Ulf » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:53 pm

Damien

Just handled this through The Flash Centre, we will arrange a loan unit and a charger ASAP, David at the Flash Centre will need delivery information.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby damienlovegrove » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:35 pm

Several parcels on and now I have a working kit. It is worth noting that the first charger kit Phase One sent me from Denmark was also faulty.

The latest news is that I have ordered a Canon CH 910 charger from Amazon. I failed to find a supplier of Canon kit in the UK who had a charger in stock. Several searches later I found Amazon to be the cheapest at £122.30 inc VAT.

The Canon CH 900 is obsolete and was replaced with the CH 910 a couple of years ago.

You can place 2 batteries on the charger and power the camera back by wire via the adaptor. This may come in handy in extream temperatures as you can store the unit in your clothing. I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives.

Damien.
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

Re:

Postby Ashley11 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:31 pm

damienlovegrove wrote:You can place 2 batteries on the charger and power the camera back by wire via the adaptor. This may come in handy in extream temperatures as you can store the unit in your clothing.
Damien.

You can also use the Phase One Portable Solution, if you have one, and a short firewire cable to power your back.
You can see these on Ebay at present going cheep.
Ashley
Ashley11

Battery Problems

Postby riolok » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:13 pm

We have had the same battery problems in our studio. The back has been sent in along with the charger and a new back was sent to us from
Phase One until ours is repaired.

It is interesting to know that others have had problems like ours and to know that it is the Hahnel charger, not the back with issues.

Ashley could you elaborate on the \"Portable Solution\". We have a P25 which is portable in itself, but what is the power source that you plug the firewire into?
riolok

Re: Battery Problems

Postby Ashley11 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:15 pm

riolok wrote:Ashley could you elaborate on the "Portable Solution". We have a P25 which is portable in itself, but what is the power source that you plug the firewire into?

The Portable Solution is what one has to use with H backs. It's a sort of FireWire junction box with a battery attached. We used to use it a lot when working with the H20 back and PowerBook on location. One could shoot for about a day with it.
Sell for about £400 new.
Portable solution with charger:
Plug a FireWire cable into it and it will run your P backs for hours, even in the cold, as you shot to cards. I'm not sure if PhaseOne still recommend it whem shooting to a PowerBook even with the P backs - I think they may do.
We have one but don't use it much now other than to extend the lenght of shooting distance from the computer via two FireWire cables at times.
Ashley11

Postby damienlovegrove » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:59 am

Two weeks on and I still haven't had my back fixed. No news from Denmark as to what the problem is. And now I have another battery that refuses to charge on the Hanhel charger. The Canon charger I've ordered still hasn't come. An ex BBC collegue uses the Canon charger and genuine Canon cells all the time without problems on his v. I'll let you know how I get on with it as soon as it arrives. Battery power problems are not acceptable on kit this expensive. It's hardly rocket science. I just hope it can be sorted out for Phase One owners sake.

Damien.
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

Postby Ashley11 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:12 pm

Sorry to hear you are having problems Damien.
I can honesty say mine works 100% - no problems with the Hahnel charger or the batteries neither.... for what it's worth.

Cheers
Ashley
Ashley11

Postby John 6 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:10 am

Damien - I read your post and thread. Are you still having trouble with the charger and batteries? I am curious. Sometimes my charger seems to be acting flaky. First it hought the battery contacts were not set properly against the points in the back. Then I thought it was the charger. Then I thought is was the connector on the side of the charger. In any event, I am not sure if mine is working or if it is acting strange. Sometimes it shows a red LED, then the LED flashes, and then it goes out and then in the camera is performance is uncertain. Sounds like the same as your scenario. Are you using any other 3rd party chargers successfully? I bought a BP915 from my dealer as extra batteries but not even sure if these are the right ones.
John 6

Postby damienlovegrove » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:02 pm

Hi Jfaier,

I'm about to find out if the Canon charger is better. As soon as I know for certain, I'll let you know. I hope it comes this week. It's been on order for a while now.
Damien.
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

Postby superbomba » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:51 pm

the canon charger is the best solution. i always use it. seems to be more reliable. and can be used with two big (the really big ones) batteries conecting the charger/adaptor the the digital back.
superbomba

Damien look at this

Postby erikhoffman » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:37 pm

I also had a bit of a problem but seems to work ok now
the second solution is the canon bat/pack
but better still and if you want to use your camera all day and I mean all day get yourself the - A-E2XL1 - DV Camera Power Adaptor
made by IDX Endura as i use this for my video XL1 Canon Camera
http://www.idxtek.com/accessories.htm
it will enable you to stack a couple of heavies on the adapter and forget about the power for good

Erik Hoffman
erikhoffman

Postby Mark 3 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:47 pm

I received my P25 last week, and my charger was acting very strange upon setting it up for the first time. I\"m not sure what we did to get it going, but finally, the red lights came on. Obviously, you must be very exact in the way you load those batteries, but I think it was more than that, as well.

After reading this thread, I think I'll order that Canon unit and put it in the bag as well. When you already own 68 AC Adapters, what's one more to keep up with...?
Mark 3

Next

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs