comparison Aptus vs. P20

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

comparison Aptus vs. P20

Postby StanS » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:44 pm

From experiences in other forums, I know this can often be the best place to find out about every little problem with a product or service.

I am the department head of a University photography program. We're finally replacing our old Leaf Catchlight, and are down to considering the Leaf Aptus 17 or the Phase One P20 (the Leaf is more expensive, and yes I know the Leaf is not out yet, but if we buy now, we get a 17WI until the Aptus is shipped). My experience with the 17WI was that it was a clunky system, an interm step to the new back. We have not tested the Phase back yet.

Any one out there with experience with the Leaf and Phase products that could guide us, would be great. This is a major pruchase for our department and we need to get it right the first time. We'll be hanging it off a Hasselblad V body.
StanS

Postby Michael Grøn » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:20 pm

Hi Stan

I can't tell advice about the Aptus - P20 choice, as the right choice of course depends on your specific use.

But what I can tell is that prior to acquiring the P25 for Hasselblad H1, I tested the Leaf Valeo 11 and H101 (and Imacon). In my opinion, H101 won clearly over the Leaf.

When taking pictures of my teenage daughter with long blond hair, the Leaf showed excessive colour moire in her hair straws, shadows had a colour cast and skin colours were completely unnatural.

The H101 showed slight moire (which could easily be removed with the included PS plugin). My new P25 shows absolutely no moire. Skin colours are extremely true, requiring only slight adjustment in PS.

In my humble opinion, the question is no merely a matter of chip size, but rather the degree that the manufacturer is capable of exploiting its potential and I for one believe that this is where PhaseOne is far ahead of the competition.

Also, the C1 software is far superior to both the Leaf and Imacon solutions as regards user-friendliness - you don't need a master's degree (bad pun for a university man, huh?) to turn out great images.

Regards Michael
Michael Grøn

Postby Von1 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:56 am

Go with the Phase One. As a digital tech I work with all the backs and software, and I just purchased a P25 which is more expensive than the Leaf version.
'm
Why do I like Phase? Because it is simpler to use, and the files are terrific. I'm pretty basic when it comes to my work, and I want a simple solution to everyday digital needs. I'm doing a test tomorrow with a Leaf 22Wi, and a Phase P25, I'll give you the details tomorrow.

Von Thomas
DigitalTECH/NYC
Von1

thanks

Postby StanS » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:11 am

Thanks, we get a P20 demo and loaner for a day or two on Monday and we'll put it thru its paces. We did a Leaf loaner/demo last week, and I was not impressed with software but it was nice to do the RAW conversions in Photoshop CS.
StanS

Leaf vs. Phase One

Postby StanS » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:58 am

Thanks guys for all your advice, I placed the order for a P20 today. The software was a big selling point for us as well, and the Phase One seemed much more powerfull yet easy to use.
StanS

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs