What should I do?

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

What should I do?

Postby NN636864943673837876UL » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:03 am

Hi,

I'm new to the MF digital back arena and am looking at purchasing a P25 with 80,000+ captures. The one good thing is that it has 1 1/2 years of warranty left. I'm planning on using the back at least a year before upgrading to another back.

My question is, should I be concerned about the high amount of captures? Will this affect my trade in value with Phase One?

I'm still on the fence as the price was low enough for me to consider it, but the capture count really freaked me out.

What should I do?

Thanks,
NN636864943673837876UL

Re: What should I do?

Postby Phil Ryan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:29 pm

Personally I wouldn’t worry about the capture count as there are no moving parts involved unlike the shutter on a camera body or some lenses. I would check the the sensor and physical connectors for condition and make sure you have the correct sync cable. The P series uses a 2.5mm to PC sync cord, in the US you see a lot of 1/16” to PC cords in which the plug is too long and slightly loose making for unreliable triggering.

I doubt it’s still in warranty as the P25 hasn’t been made in years. If I recall correctly Phase One is no longer able to repair the P series backs although they are still supported in Capture One. While my main shooter is an IQ3 back, I have a P25 for my Hassy 500 and it still captures beautiful images. While the ISO is limited by modern standards, I find it to be much like shooting film.

There are a lot of H and P series backs still in use, there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of problems with them.
Phil Ryan
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Sarnian » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:36 am

Phil Ryan wrote:If I recall correctly Phase One is no longer able to repair the P series backs

Phase One no longer services the H series. Servicing of the P series backs will probably phase out in about 18 months.

I've seen a P65+ back with 220,000+ captures so, yes, capture count it's a pretty irrelevant.
Sarnian

Postby DouglasHarwinCamera » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:36 pm

Hello,

The high amount of captures will not affect trade in value.

Also as of April 11th, 2018, Phase One A/S no longer offers service for P-series camera backs.

P 20 Serial number Prefix: CD, CE, CF and CG
P 21 Serial number Prefix: CU, CV, CW and CX
P 25 Serial number Prefix: CH, CI, CJ and CK
P 30 Serial number Prefix: CM, CN, CO and CP
P 45 Serial number Prefix: CQ, CR, CS and CT

After the above-mentioned date, it will still be possible to download software, manuals and get support for the products, however, Phase One A/S will no longer provide any form of service for this product.

NOTE: This announcement does not affect the P+ series camera back range whose status remains as fully serviced. The P+ range include: P 20+, P 21+, P 25+, P 30+. P 40+, P 45+ and P 65+.

Hope this helps,
Douglas
DouglasHarwinCamera

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs