Firewire Cable length

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

Firewire Cable length

Postby matt21 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:15 pm

Does anyone know the maximum length of Firewire cable that can be used when tethering a P25 to a Powerbook?

Thanks

Matt
matt21

Postby DigitalTECH/NYC » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:15 am

I believe it is 32'. I use cables by Granite Digital, and their 32' cable works well.

Von Thomas
DigitalTECH/NYC

Is there quality difference in Firewire cables

Postby Michael Grøn » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:51 pm

Hi Von
32' - that is approx. 9,75 meters.

Whenever I use a long cable - 5 meters - I have problems getting reliable communication - i.e. the connection to my laptop pc is lost.

Do you know whether there are various qualities of firewire cables - should really be as it is supposed to be a standard or what?!

(I should mention that my laptop only supports 4-pin firewire so I am using the P25 battery to operate the back - but still this should not interfere with the connection).

Regards
Michael
Michael Grøn

Postby Ulf » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:06 pm

Officially the limitation for firewire is 4.5meter.
Phase One sells a 10meter cable which should be very reliable with desktop computers; it might not be as reliable with laptops when they in general have a weaker signal. Phase One also produce a Repeater which can be used to boost cable strength and extend the cable length.
The repeater can be ordered through all Phase One camera back dealers.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs