Sharpening with P25 and Capture One

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

Sharpening with P25 and Capture One

Postby christian heurich » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:11 am

I hope this is a topic of interest to many on this list. I look forward to learning from others' insights and experiences.

FWIW, I am interested in this with particular regards to the effects and results sharpening has in the small details, such as faces, of group portraits intended to be printed on large format printers, e.g. Epson 9600.

In the past I have avoided any in-camera sharpening with my Nikon digital SLRs, opting rather, to apply sharpening with discretion in the post-processing stage(s) to obtain optimal results.

With Phase One backs, and with the P 25 in particular, I'm curious if there is a consensus regarding sharpening and how much, if any, to apply at the time of image capture in order to produce the highest quality image possible.
christian heurich

Postby Ulf » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:55 pm

I think from my point one of the P25 users to answer this question rather then me how ever from experience with photographers in the field Nikon an Canon needs to post interpolate and post sharpening to get some what of a decent result when doing this kind of prints while a MF camera back like P25 will produce more then sufficient details, in some cases like head shots (if the subject is not a perfect skin model) some softening needs to be applied (can be done in software) because simply to much skin details are shown but makes large full shots and group shots with great result.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs