Faster, faster, faster, Lighter, lighter, lighter

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

Faster, faster, faster, Lighter, lighter, lighter

Postby Von1 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:56 pm

Now that I've got my P25 for Hasselblad H1, the two things I desire are faster capture, and a lighter weight back.

A frame every second or less consistently both tethered and untethered would be ideal, especially for fashion, and because the H1 with 150mm lens is a bit weighty, having a back a few ounces less, would be nice.

All in all, this camera and back combo is the best!!!!!!

Thank you Phase One

Von Thomas
Von1

Postby Ulf » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:07 pm

Thanks for the kind words.
As you might know, the sensor is what is limiting the speed.
I know for a fact that the future will bring faster CCD's (without loosing quality), and when they are here then we will implement them.
At that point I know that you will be happy that Phase One offers a upgrade program.
Kind Regards
Ulf Liljegren
Phase One
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby Ashley11 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:40 am

Is there any way to shot to the PowerBook faster. Currently using the 1.5Ghz with about 1.5Gb of Ram. The first 2 or 3 frames seem pretty fast but sometimes it's really slow. :(

No problems with the G5 desk top.

And what do you recommend for wide angle - FlexBody with 40mm and stitch or ArcBody.
Ashley11

Postby Von1 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:31 am

Ashley,

I had the very same problem yesterday. I was shooting fashion yesterday, and the first two to four images were fine, but the following images slowed to a frame every 3 to 5 seconds. I'm guessing there is a bottle neck with the computer, and the camera can't shoot if the computer has image traffic.

Von Thomas
DigitalTECH/NYC
Von1

Pull the cable

Postby Ashley11 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:01 am

On a few shoots I have had to pull the FireWire cable out and shoot straight to the card. Shooting to the card is pretty fast but one frame a second would be ideal imo. As I said before, shooting to the G5 is good if you are in the studio, but the PowerBook can be a pain when shooting people on location.
Can anything be turned off or do we just have to wait for a faster PowerBook to come out ?

95% of our work is still shot tethered as we work closely with clients, stylists, etc.
Ashley11

idea

Postby damienlovegrove » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:39 am

I also shoot to a G4 powerbook. I have a 1.25ghz with 1Gb ram. I do however use a Lacie external firewire2 (800mbs) 250Gb hard disk solely for my sessions. I have not experienced the 'slowing down' effect at all. I shoot child portraits in the studio and the system keeps up with my flash recycling times perfectly.

Damien.
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

Re: idea

Postby Ashley11 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:32 pm

damienlovegrove wrote:I also shoot to a G4 powerbook. I have a 1.25ghz with 1Gb ram. I do however use a Lacie external firewire2 (800mbs) 250Gb hard disk solely for my sessions. I have not experienced the 'slowing down' effect at all.
Damien.

Please explain ? do you link into the Hard drive ?
Ashley11

Postby damienlovegrove » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:27 pm

The hard drive is a stand alone device connected to my Powerbook via a FireWire 2 lead. It was formatted and clear of any data prior to my instalation of C1. I created a folder on the new disk called sessions and C1 uses this as the folder for all sessions. The Hard drive in the Powerbook is a slow device running at 5400RPM with very limited data transfer etc. C1 probably uses it as a scratch disk by default so it is important to be able to separate the data disk from the application and start up disk. Both disks can be being used simultaneously without interuptions etc. I can also plug the hard disk directy into any computer I choose and get instant access to all my sessions without relying on our network. Plu and play technology at it's best.

The drive I have is here:
http://www.jigsaw24.com/proddesc.asp?ITEM=X299AGA

I hope this helps.

Damien.
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

7200 RPM

Postby Ashley11 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:19 pm

Hi Damien,
Thanks for that info I will be trying it out this afternoon - you think the hard drive is the main cause of the problem - sounds as if you could be right. If so, would a new faster internal hard drive sort out this problem ? I think my hard drive is the standard 4200rpm model so up grading this would be simple. Carring an extra hard drive sounds like a bit of a pain but if that is the only answer, so be it.

I see Hitachi-IBM have a new 7200rpm drive:
http://www.transintl.com/store/category ... imeOut=500

Thanks again,
Ashley
Ashley11

Hard drive

Postby damienlovegrove » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:31 pm

I'm not sure taking your internal drive to 5400 will solve all the issues. It will certainly help. 7600 is what you need idealy with firewire 2 but I'm only convinced of a small increase of performance over firewire 1 with this drive. It works for me in the studio. When I'm 'on the road' I use Lexar 2Gb 80x cards and get the same performance etc.

Damien.
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

7200rpm

Postby Ashley11 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:02 am

We just fitted a faster hard drive (7200rpm model) and it works well now.

C1 Pro seems to have addressed the problem of slow capture rate to the PowerBook in their latest version as well. Now one can capture 10 or more images quickly as they seem to be making use of the PowerBook’s RAM - A problem solved but it's not perfect - it’s now slow to see the previews - they open up in time but not right away as they did before. So we can now shoot away, same as with the Canon, but we will have to wait to see the results. This will make it harder for clients and art directors to give direction as what they are seeing on screen isn't really what we have just taken but rather what we took several (up to 10) frames ago.
Ashley11

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs