P 25 Histogram

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

P 25 Histogram

Postby Randall111 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:51 pm

Hello to all!

New P 25 owner here. I am coming from a MF and LF film, and 1DS2 digital (most recent digital) background. Good refurb pricing has (finally) allwed me in to the MF/View digital world.

In speaking with a current P 25 owner, he had some concerns about the histogram readout on his back. It was his feeling that it represented a bit to the left. My question is, what is the P25 on-back histogram based on? With Canon, the histogram is based on user defined jpg settings (even if you are shooting RAW). You can tweak in-camera contrast and curves to give the most useful histogram for your needs. Is the P-25 histogram based on an unseen jpg? If not, how is it produced? Most importantly, can it be tweaked?

Thanks, and good to make our acquaintances,
Randall
Randall111

Postby Randall111 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:12 pm

Bump, Nudge, Bump
Randall111

Postby Ulf » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:25 pm

*Nudge back*

When talking camer backs it is always RAW data, calibrated but RAW and that is what the back display.
In software however it will take in account profiles and crops etc.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Re:

Postby Randall111 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:56 pm

UlfLiljegren wrote:*Nudge back*.

Apologies if that was rude. I am going to web board finishing school, but have yet to complete my coursework.

When talking camer backs it is always RAW data, calibrated but RAW and that is what the back display.
In software however it will take in account profiles and crops etc.

So, if I understand you correctly, the P25 Histogram is based soley on RAW data (no in-camera conversion file format is created). Is that correct?

By Calibration, do you mean that Phase calibrates the histogram for each unit, or uses a generic calibration?

As such, a histogram that is pushed right, but shows no blown highlights should allow a C1 conversion with no blown highlights. Correct?

Thanks for the help!
Randall111

Postby damienlovegrove » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:35 am

You are correct. The result is not linear though if you have a 'film curve' selected in C1. A few days use and you will become expert in what you can recover and what you can't. I find the whole process so forgiving.
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

Postby Randall111 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:47 am

Thanks Damien. Very helpful.
Randall111

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs