P30 for Fashion photographers only?

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

P30 for Fashion photographers only?

Postby k2studio » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:59 pm

A friend of mine told me that a dealer told him that he should not get the p30 because it was for fashion photographers. He shoots everything from models to archetecture, same as me.

I shoot in the studio mostly, subjects ranging from furniture, models, jewelry, food, and product.

Is the P30 only for fashion photographers? Would the P30 work for me?

Thanks,

Joe
K2 Graphic Services
k2studio

Postby olo1 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:42 am

why should it???

maybe only for one reason: the P30 has a smaller sensor and therefore a focal length extension of a certain factor which makes a 80mm lens to a small telephoto lens. So if you shoot landscapes with your wide angle lens you loose some of your wide angle...

Sorry I do not know the extension factor...
Besides that there is no difference whatsoever!

cheers Nicolas
olo1

Postby NN8878311 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:56 pm

The extensionfactor is x1.3 so a 80 mm eq. 104 mm.

And its not just for fashion photographers. The reasons people may think this could be that it's launched as almost moiré-free, which is good for fashion as it often includes clothes. The second reason could be that it has a CCD that has microlenses thus not suitible for extreme wideangles and largeformat cameras. Other than that and the extensionfactor, its up for anything you want :D

Kristofer
NN8878311

P30

Postby Danno » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:02 pm

You have stated that the P30 \"has microlenses thus not suitible for extreme wideangles\". I am sure that you are correct, but what would you defind as and extreme wideangle? I use an H1 with a HC 3.5/35mm, would that work with the P30? I understand that due to the sensor crop it would be more like a 45mm (1.3 factor).

Thanks
Danno
Danno

Postby damienlovegrove » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:23 am

The extreme wide angle referred to is for view or non reflex cameras only. These symetrical lens designs have rear elements very close to the CCD surface and the angle of incidence at the corners of the CCD is extreme as a result. Retrofocus designs like the H1 lenses are not an issue. The rear element of the 35mm is the same distance from the CCD as the 80mm. So go ahead and enjoy the P30. You could even put a Jessops 0.7 wide angle attachment on the front if you could get one in 95mm. - Joke!
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs