DNG and Pbacks

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

DNG and Pbacks

Postby damienlovegrove » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:16 am

Is it feasable that at some time in the future Phase One could provide a firmware for P series backs that allowed a choice of DNG as a raw capture format?

Is it technically posable to save the data from the Kodak chips as DNG?

Just curious. I'm not at all sure that I would want to do such a thing anyway.

I expect there will soon be a 'converter' that will allow any raw format in and DNG out, maybe even a hot folder scripted action. Is it probable that C1 compatability with DNG will allow export in this format anyway? I suppose I'm trying to look over the fence.

Damien.
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

Postby Ulf » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:24 pm

DNG is just another format so any camera could save files in the DNG format, I believe first generation was incomplete but DNG has been revised and should work fine now.
Implementation of DNG through Phase One software and hardware will be implemented in steps.
First step has already been made, which is the support of Leica R9/Module R which shoots DNG direct from camera.
What then will happen is support for other cameras in DNG format, possibility to develop Phase One RAW files to DNG instead of TIF/JPG and at then end maybe possibility to shoot DNG direct; this however has yet to be decided.
All of this is not \"small fixes\" it is major work which has to be scheduled in to roadmaps and development plans, we have other stuff that is on its way and we will make sure we can provide the best solution possible weather it is DNG or anything else.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby damienlovegrove » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:14 pm

Thanks for such an open and honest reply. The 'other stuff' sounds fun.

Is Phase One Raw format an 'open' format? I mean, can other software developers have access to the 'code' and develop means of utilising it or making their aplications Phase One compatable?
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

Postby Ulf » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:02 pm

If it is uncompressed it should be strait forward.
DCRAW which is a open source project can read Phase One RAW files, so knowing this bascially anyone with a little bit of programming knowledge can make a raw converter for Phase One files with the DCRAW core.
Reading the file is not the trick... or should we say \"Magic\" :lol: , it is how you convert the files.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs