Deciding between backs

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

Deciding between backs

Postby Bill12 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:05 pm

After several years of renting an H20 back, I am finally ready to purchase. I only would use it in a studio attached to a computer. I will probably purchase an X-act-D to use it on. My question is this: From what I have seen the P25 and P45 are about the same price 30k. Although the higher megapixel is enticing, I can do just fine with 22mp. Is there something I would give up purchasing the P45? Or, megapixels aside, is there something the P25 has over the P45?
Bill12

P45 or P25

Postby damienlovegrove » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:13 am

I have used a P25 now exclusively for just over a year and I can say it has been fantastic. I use it nearly always at 400 iso and given a generous exposure (exposing for midtones and shadow and 'recovering' highlight in C1) the P25 gives the best low noise results. Beware, just half a stop less and the image quality plumets. So my advice is to check out both backs at 400 iso with the same subject and identical exposures and check out the noise in the shadow and lower midtone areas. After all, the P25 has more than enough resolution for almost anyone. If you always stick to low ISO then save your money and go for the P25. The backs may be the same, but your storage and computers will need upgrading. I have the latest Apple Powerbook and I'd hate to think how it would cope with P45 images, if at all.

PS: I dont use the 800 iso setting because even though the there is seemingly less noise than the 400 setting the loss of detail is too big a compromise. I expect this is why Phase dropped this option for the P45.

I hope this helps.
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

Postby Bill12 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:40 am

Thanks for the great info. That is probably the way I will go. As far as file size, about 50% of the time my clients want 100 to 200mb files anyways, so the p45 would be advantageous. I do shoot in studio only and generally use the most optimal iso. I will not have a computer problem as I am going to buy a new mac anyways, and I have a removable hard drive system that is expandable.

Thanks
Bill12

Postby Jeffrey111 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:58 pm

Hi Bill:

Also consider what you are shooting. Moire is a big issue with the P25. If you're shooting fabrics and textiles, etc you may want the P45. Even though the RAW files are larger you can always process them out at a smaller size.
Jeffrey111

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs