P25 with H1 \"error\" problems...

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

P25 with H1 \"error\" problems...

Postby Michael2 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:07 am

Has anyone encountered camera errors using the P25 together with th H1 camera?
Over the course of an hour shoot today, I had to stop at least 4 times because of error warings displayed on lcd of the H1 camera body.
I tried two different bodies and lenses, though both were rented and not my own.
Errors would start as saying something like (i'm making up the numbers here), \"Lens Error #12389\" I'd hit the OK button then it would switch to, \"Body Error #56483\" for about 5 different error codes. I had to shut down the back and camera to get things going again...

Anyone have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Michael
Michael2

Re: P25 with H1 \"error\" problems...

Postby jef1 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:32 pm

michaelcogliantry wrote:Has anyone encountered camera errors using the P25 together with th H1 camera?
Over the course of an hour shoot today, I had to stop at least 4 times because of error warings displayed on lcd of the H1 camera body.
I tried two different bodies and lenses, though both were rented and not my own.
Errors would start as saying something like (i'm making up the numbers here), "Lens Error #12389" I'd hit the OK button then it would switch to, "Body Error #56483" for about 5 different error codes. I had to shut down the back and camera to get things going again...

Anyone have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Michael

Check to see if the H1 is up to date with Firmware:

• Hasselblad H1 (Body) v8.1.4 or above
• Hasselblad H1 Viewfinder (VF) v6.3.0 or above
• Hasselblad Lens (Lens) v9.0.0 or above

The firmwares in these units are easily checked in the menu system of the H1 body.
1. Select Menu
2. Use the scroll wheel to select the “Settings” option and press “Enter” 3. Use the scroll wheel to select the “Info” option and press “Enter”
4. Press “Enter” again and the firmware versions of all attached units will be displayed.

/Jef

Postby oliver11 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:09 am

do you have to send the camera back to Hasselblad or can you download to firmware updates ?

thanks

Ollie
oliver11

Re:

Postby jef1 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:15 am

oliver pearce wrote:do you have to send the camera back to Hasselblad or can you download to firmware updates ?

thanks

Ollie

You have to talk with you local Hasselblad dealer.

I usally say, if it works don't touch it.. :wink:

/Jef

Error codes

Postby damienlovegrove » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:24 pm

I experience random error codes at the rate of approx 1 per 100 captures. Sometimes it's a lens error or a mirror error. It was worse when the camera was new. I have done 4000 captures now and it is getting more reliable. I found cleaning the viewfinder contacts with the isopropyl alcahol supplied with the P25 helped a lot.

Damien.
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

Postby Jacob11 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:04 pm

You have now been inducted into the H1 Camera Body Error Code Club! Now to decide if that's something to be proud or scared of... I've been a member since Hasselblad released v8.1.x body firmware and the beautiful system became a technical nightmare (for a while).

First, Jef's suggestion to check your firmware is the standard first response to any issues exhibited by an H1 system. The Body, Viewfinder, and Lens codes are all part of the official list of 'compatible' firmwares since the last update the H101 digital back had. However, dealing with a new back as such, I would look for the body to be v8.2.2 (the latest released firmware for the H1 body). If it isn't up to date, the one place in the U.S. it can officially go for this update is to Hasselblad's Factory Service Center in New Jersey.

Second, we need to examine your setup. Since this is a P-series we're dealing with now, are you tethered or untethered? If tethered, what shape is your firewire cable in? If you're untethered, are the batteries in tiptop shape? The Five Errors Of Doom(tm) can occur when the back is having fluctuations in the power supplied to it. I know people are carping about 30ft Firewires now being wonderful to have, but I'd always use a 15ft when doing an H1-based system, personally.

To explain why this happens (for the curious): what's occuring in either case is a failure of the back and the body (and even the lens) to communicate their wishes to each other properly. In the first case, we could say it's a matter of them speaking different dialects; if the body is an older one, it may occasionally miss a word from the P25, in which case the errors are the body's way of going 'Huh?'. In the second case, when the back is communicating with the body it is much like a bad cell call and the H1 body eventually giving up and hanging up the phone. Either of these scenarios has their fixes, whether it be a firmware update or a change of firewire.

Other things may be causing these issues. Fast continuous shooting could possibly result in a momentary system choke where the back simply stops talking to the body while trying to finish its business (although honestly I had to hold down the shutter for a good several hundred with an H101 to accomplish that). There could be something actually wrong with either back or body, in which case make sure whomever rented the system to you is aware of this.

Worst case scenario, of course, is if you're on a beautifully well powered desktop with an excellent 15ft firewire cable and the firmware on the body just happens to say 9.0.0 and it is doing this... because, well, if that's the case, I'm going to go into my storage cabinet, get my helmet and bulletproof vest, and wait for the phone to ring.

I will try and corroborate this just as soon as I have an H system P series.
Jacob Watters
Linear Systems
Jacob11

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs