Shooting digital under TV film lighting

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

Shooting digital under TV film lighting

Postby Guy G » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:59 am

I'm a fairly new user to the digital world. Have a P20 on a Contax. I have a client that has hired me to do a shoot for a print ad to be done during the production of a TV commercial. Just got notified that we have to go to Thailand for the shoot. It's really impractical and too expensive to lug along all my lights. The suggestion is to shoot the print ad using the lighting in studio for the TV commercial which I understand is film. I know color correction is a breeze with the P20 but are there any problems to doing this that I am not aware of? I assume they will be using HMI lighting. Leaving on the 25th. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Guy
Guy G

Postby E Michelson » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:32 pm

Hi Guy,

Your right, it would probably not be practical bring any significant lighting. I found this at http://www.travelfish.org/faq_answer.php?qID=13

\"Thailand's voltage is 220-240AC, 50 Hertz. The plugs in Thailand are not standardised – there are at least three different types, some two pin, some three, so bring a universal adapter\"

I would be sure to bring a color chart like a Macbeth, Kodak, or Agfa. Make reference images of the target under the various scenes lighting you may confront. You might find it useful especially if you find that the studio uses flourescent lighting which is not that uncommon in video these days. In that case you might want to work with the color editor tool to edit a Phase One input profile for better response under those limited spectrum lights.

Oh yes, bring a tripod. :wink:
[/quote]
E Michelson
Crew
Crew

Postby damienlovegrove » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:31 pm

They will probably light the studio to 1000 lux with tungsten at 2950 kelvin (fader 7 on the controller). You will need to use 400 ISO and f4 at 1/60th is my guess. Most movie film work I've been involved with uses tungsten balanced stock and is shot between f1.4 and f4 with a 180 degree shutter.(I spent 15 years at the BBC as a cameraman so it's a fairly educated guess) I use a monopod to get stills in those situations where people or moving subjects are involved. HMI's will be used everywhere that has some daylight. In this case far more light is available and ND's are often used to get back to the magic f4. I would advise creating custom white balances in each situation so that only a small tweak is required in C1. The histogram and screen previews will be more accurate.
I'm so envyous. Enjoy the location catering!
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs