Airline Travel with Phase One. Advice Request.

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

Airline Travel with Phase One. Advice Request.

Postby Dillon » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:27 pm

Hello All, It has been 6 months since my conversion to digital. Early October will be the first out of town assignment that I fly to. The headaches of film will not be missed! However, I've often wondered what the security at the airport does when confronted with a P20 unit and a photographer that is nervous from them handling it.

My plan is to bring the Phase One color brochure and any other literature that I may have. Hopefully this will help ease their minds as I set everything out for them to see at the airport. In the past (film days), I would Fed-Ex my film and most of the equipment to the city, prior to my arrival. For the digital equipment, I will not let it out of my sight, or personal possession. Unfortunately my \"gear bag\" is a backpack (somewhat suspicious looking). It contains 5 lenses, cords, PowerBook G4, a meter, and of course the P20. All of this will fit under my seat, well under the 45 inch maximum as defined by the carriers.

Do any of you have words of wisdom, horror stories or common sense advice to share?
Dillon

Postby olo1 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:00 pm

I would not worry too much! I have been travelling with my P25 and H1 for a while and I usually carry the P25 in a handluggage case. Let them x-ray it and let them use this explosive vacum cleaner... and they will be happy!

You should rather worry about those CO2 refills for the air cleaner which look like little bombs if there are ligned up in your case... :roll:

When they found it they literally took me apart I almost missed my flight :oops:

cheers and have safe trip

Nicolas
olo1

Re: Airline Travel with Phase One. Advice Request.

Postby Ashley11 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:10 pm

Hi Dillon
Dillon wrote:I've often wondered what the security at the airport does when confronted with a P20 unit and a photographer that is nervous from them handling it.

I've traveled quite a bit recently to various countries - Europe and America - and never had any problem with getting the P25 back and cameras through.
They may want you to put your PowerBook through on it's own.
No problems with hard drives.
On international flights, hand luggage weight may be restricted to 6Kg, so we carry the P25 back, PowerBook and hard-drives through as hand luggage and put everything else on as baggage.
Ashley11

Postby Dillon » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:49 am

Thank you! I'll rest easy, and concern myself with other aspects of the assignment preparation. I've been looking forward to easier out of town shoots with the P20.

Now, my next mission. Lighten the load. It totals 60lbs. Bogen tripod 20lbs. Rollie Xact and miscellaneous case 20lbs. and the 20 lb. backpack with lenses, P20, cords, laptop. It works fine out my truck and on the handy cart that I custom made. Out of town, that's another story.
Dillon

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs