Rollei and Phase One

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

Rollei and Phase One

Postby Peter4 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:08 am

Hi,

as a Rollei user I must say that the offer of backs from Phase is not sufficient. Only the P20, nothing else.

Sorry to say, but the chance that I by an Imacon CF this year is high.
Or a Sinar/Eyelike eMotion if they can offer ISO 400.
Peter4

Postby Dillon » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:19 am

I have converted from film and Sinar for 30 years; to the Rollei Exact and P20. It is used exclusively for architectural photography.

The unit has paid for itself handsomely, the quality is better in many ways, there are some issues that are being worked out.

What in particular do you not like?
Dillon

Dont's

Postby Peter4 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:13 am

Hi Dillon,

mostly I work with people and mostly on location. The p20 on the 6008 AF works fine but the 1.5 focal extension is too much for me. If you have to use 40 mm lens to get 3 persons on the picture........

After one week where I have worked with the AF/P20 bundle in my worst, but real, environment I have seen that I need the P25 or something like that. For the 6008 (AF or i) there is nothing from Phase and as it seems there will be nothing for it (spoken to Phase One Germany and Rollei).

Since I have a good connection to Rollei I know about some reasons why the adaptation to Rollei or other cams is not easy. Imacon and Sinar used an other concept which makes adapations easy and Phase should also thing about a change here. Thats why I have posted my first message here.
Peter4

Postby Ulf » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:59 pm

Why P20 was chosen is a joint decision between Phase One and Rollei.
This adapter plate concept you refer to has pluses and minuses. One problem we do not have is the focusing issue due to mechanical wearing, which I know for a fact is very common with the backs which use the kind of adapter plating.
Yes they use chimes to try to correct it but the exactness you have with a fixed fitting can never be achieved (Please trust a Technician here instead of a sales rep.) if you only going to fit it on one camera then I guess you will not have the problem with wearing, but then it also looses the point why you would buy a back with adapter plates.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Adapter

Postby Peter4 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:58 am

Dear Ulf,

My problem ist not the usage on more cams than my Rollei.
Yes it is nice to be able to switch the back from Portrait to Landscape in 3 seconds and have the option to change cam and keep the back.

If could get a P25 in portrait orientation on my Rollei I would by a Phase One, BUT I do NOT get it. The fact that the existing P25 does not fit in landscape orientation is a minor issue for me, not nice but also not a big thing.

[/b]
Peter4

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs