Powerbook Tethered Power Supply to Back: Corrupted Images

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

Postby Dillon » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:33 pm

Knowing the problems that exist with the PowerBook G4, I'm surprised that we ask the machine to perform as much as it does. I've considered this issue a minor annoyance, at least the problem is correctable with a small investment. I'd personally call it a Mac issue, as opposed to a Phase One issue. Also beware of using Firewire that is too long, and be certain that you are using a PowerBook with firewire ports that are not questionable. They were not all manufactured the same. Visit Apple.com and see the plethora of problems that exist with this machine. Be glad you are not working with the Imac G5, mine almost caught on fire!

There exist other problems that I consider a major issue such as lens cast calibration, other users have considered this one as a minor annoyance. We all work together to find the answers!
Dillon

Postby FlemmingHandberg » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:24 am

Hi

It have been like that since the very first Lightphase in 1998. If your dealer haven't told you it is an error, because they know all about it :?

At our knowledge base there are several articles covering this topic.

http://support.phaseone.com/KB/Home/SearchKB/Article.aspx?articleid=1152&LanguageID=1
FlemmingHandberg
Crew
Crew

Solution!

Postby olo1 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:45 am

Must admit it now happened to me too :cry:

I wrote an email to my PhaseOne dealer in Hamburg and he told me the following which sounds interesting to me:

The Apple PB have a built in feature which reduces the power of the firewire ports when reaching a certain low level of the battery. Instead of buying this converter there will be soon a firewire cable available which checks the power output and as soon it gets to low the camera battery will take over to get rid of those black and pink bars... it will cost around € 100.-

cheers Nicolas
olo1

Postby FlemmingHandberg » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:41 am

Your Phase One dealer have this converter plug, that can convert from a 6pin to a 4pin FW cable. And then a 4pin to a 6pin cable from the converter to the back. It sounds like a crazy solution, i agree. The battery in the back only works if there's no power comming from the computer.
FlemmingHandberg
Crew
Crew

Re: did I get it wrong

Postby olo1 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:54 am

FlemmingHandberg wrote:Your Phase One dealer have this converter plug, that can convert from a 6pin to a 4pin FW cable. And then a 4pin to a 6pin cable from the converter to the back. It sounds like a crazy solution, i agree. The battery in the back only works if there's no power comming from the computer.

Hi Flemming,

so did I misunderstand my PhaseOne dealer???
He talked of just ONE firewire cable... :roll: (definitively more practical)
Otherwise I could get tangled up while shooting :lol:

cheers Nicolas
olo1

Postby FlemmingHandberg » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:28 pm

Hi

It is not a Phase One product at least - but others might have invented something good out there :D
FlemmingHandberg
Crew
Crew

Postby Von1 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:46 am

This could be a back problem. I had just got my repaired back from P1, but I kept the loaner back, just in case. I started the day with a PB (battery full) and an external 4 hour battery also attached. The PB thinks it's connected to AC, so the external battery keeps the PB battery fully charged until the external runs low. The first few images came in with black areas with red streaks. I swapped the back, and no more problem. So it very well be the back that's in need of repair. I don't believe this is a low battery issue, as I've been shooting on location for over 8 months with my H1/P25 and this was the first time I've seen this problem.

Von Thomas
DigitalTECH/NYC
Von1

Postby Keith Carpenter » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:43 pm

One more Recommendation to mention is... **the removal of the Pseries Battery when shooting tethered to a tower computer** A tower will provide sufficient power to the Pback and therefore the battery is not needed.

See Knowledge Base article #1858:
http://support.phaseone.com/KB/Home/Sea ... nguageID=1

Sicerely,
kc
Keith Carpenter

Postby Jeffrey111 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:14 am

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. I think it has something to do with the latest firmware upgrade. Previous to the upgrade I would have trouble when the battery reached the RED zone, but only then. Now with the new firmware I get bad files with 1.5 hours remaining on the battery. I can tell when the error is going to happen because when I hit the button on the wake-up cable, the firewire symbol on the back jumps a few times. This is a major problem whe shooting outside. I recently lost a great shot becasue of this. And forget about shooting in rapid succession. I may downgrade to the previous firmware until this is fixed.

I found also that I get errors if I keep the P25 battery in the camera when it's low on power. So mostly I take it out if tethered, but I guess I'll try using it full strength when I need it.
Jeffrey111

Postby FlemmingHandberg » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:26 am

Hi Jeffery

Could you take a look in the about box of your back. What is the PAVR code(this is written below the main firmware code).
FlemmingHandberg
Crew
Crew

Postby Ashley11 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:07 am

I would go along with Jeff - something has changed, I never saw this sort of thing before but now it's a problem. Changing the PowerBook battery to a new one worked, pluging into the mains also worked - but there is a problem now that didn't appear before.

40,000 captures - one year on - somethings wrong guys.
Ashley11

Postby Jeffrey111 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:42 pm

Hello Flemming:

As per your request. The PAVR: 1.0.9

What does this mean?

Thank you for your response.
Jeffrey111

Postby FlemmingHandberg » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:37 am

This is a part of the firmware set of codes. the PAVR part of the firmware controls the power in the back and 1.0.9 is the newest version available (it is upgraded together with the general firmware codes).
FlemmingHandberg
Crew
Crew

Postby Roger11 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:27 pm

I'm having the same problems, red lines when tethered and occasional magenta ghosting when using a longer shutter speed (tethered and un-tethered). I'm using the Hasselblad V platform and I've always used wireless strobe pc and never paid much attention to the arrangment of my wires. The previous suggestions about wire placement remind of SCSI voodoo from the dark ages of computer connections. I've been shooting with the P25 for a year and have never had an issue until this most recent firmware upgrade. I actually had to use my Nikon D2X yesterday in the middle of a medium format job (magenta ghosting un-tethered), didn't look good. Please post the old firmware so I can downgrade my back.
Roger11

Postby Jeffrey111 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:42 pm

More of the same today. Trying to shoot across a busy city street with few clear opportunities and I had 3 errors, all at the wrong time. So I missed those shots. Not happy.

I was shooting tethered with a view camera to a PB with a fully charged battery, and even had a fully charged battery on the back. I took the battery of of the back it seemed to work better.

Is this a firmware issue???
Jeffrey111

PreviousNext

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs