Powerbook Tethered Power Supply to Back: Corrupted Images

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

Powerbook Tethered Power Supply to Back: Corrupted Images

Postby Michael2 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:53 pm

I have a new problem that I wanted to see if anyone else has had. I have found on the last two shoots when the powerbook (G4 1.5, 15\") starts to get low on battery power, I start to get a corruption in the captures when tethered. It looks almost like a improperly synced flash, with black bars + red stripes and half frame exposures running through the files.
The only fix is to change to a fresh powerbook battery. The batteries are about 1 year-old and it is starting to happen when I still am at 30 - 50% charge! Shoots to cards fine. Works great tethered to a desk machine.
I've tried different firewire cords with the same problem. The techs at digital transitions in NYC seem to think it's the powerbook and not the P25 back.
Before I go out and buy new batteries at 130 a pop, any suggestions? I shoot on location a lot and want to come up with a fix as soon as possible!
Has anyone tried External Batteries:http://www.brilliantstore.com/battery/laptop-apple/powerbook-g4-titanium.htm
Michael2

Postby Josef1 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:09 am

Yes, it's the laptop battery, not the back. I have this problem frequently when the powerbook battery comes to under 50% of it's capacity.
Josef1

very odd!!!

Postby olo1 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:39 am

JLH wrote:Yes, it's the laptop battery, not the back. I have this problem frequently when the powerbook battery comes to under 50% of it's capacity.

that should actually not be happening! :shock:

It never took place so far, but just imagine shooting outdoors and starting at 50% your pics get corrupted... that is a bummer!

What operating system do you have?

My config: PB12", 1.5 running Tiger 10.4.2 and C1Pro 3.7.1

cheers Nicolas
olo1

Postby toby1 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:18 pm

ive had the same thing happen on a shoot had to shoot on cards because all the tethered shots kept getting corrupted half frames with pink stripes i thought my powerbook was knackered but after reading this post i tried a different battery and it seems to be OK i have 4 laptops and have never had the problem before it would only happen on my newest laptop but i realised it had an old battery in it, using different lengths of cable and a repeater didnt make any difference
toby1

Postby Josef1 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:53 pm

Nicolas,

my configuration is indentical, but the 12\" PB is old (first generation-1GB). I use it a lot and the batteries are pretty down.

Cheers
Josef
Josef1

Re: Powerbook Tethered Power Supply to Back: Corrupted Image

Postby Ashley11 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:00 pm

michaelcogliantry wrote:It looks almost like a improperly synced flash, with black bars + red stripes and half frame exposures running through the files.
The only fix is to change to a fresh powerbook battery. The batteries are about 1 year-old and it is starting to happen when I still am at 30 - 50% charge! Shoots to cards fine. Works great tethered to a desk machine.
I've tried different firewire cords with the same problem. The techs at digital transitions in NYC seem to think it's the powerbook and not the P25 back.

Just started at ten day shoot in the States and lovely black images with red strips day one.
http://www.ampimage.com/p25.html
Images from the card were all corrupted too when I imported them.
I can see the preview images on the back but it's just a mess when I try open it in C1.
I've 7 jobs to do over the next 9 days - I'm in big trouble here.
Help !!!!
In the Boston area - help.
Ashley11

Postby Josef1 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:17 pm

Ashley,
plug the PB into the power outlet and remove the battery at all.
The problem could also be the firewire cable or port. If you have a cardreader for USB, you could try it also.
Good luck
Josef
Josef1

Re:

Postby Ashley11 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:33 pm

JLH wrote:Ashley,
The problem could also be the firewire cable or port. If you have a cardreader for USB, you could try it also.
Good luck
Josef

Hi Josef
Were can I get a PowerBook battery - fast in this area.
Heading to Cape Cod today, currently in Mystic.
Ashley11

Postby Josef1 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:40 pm

Ashley,
I have no idea, but you coult try one of the Apple stores in this area.
http://www.ericd.net/2005_08_14_blogger_archive.inc

Josef
Josef1

Re:

Postby olo1 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:27 pm

JLH wrote:Ashley,
Good luck
Josef

this is all very odd! I use my PB till the last drop and never get any corrupted images, your assumption it could be the firewire cable is lot more likely...
Have you tried that Ashley?

cheers Nicolas

PS: Josef, your work is stunning!!!
olo1

Postby Michael2 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:49 pm

UPDATE:
So, I picked up 2 new batteries for the Powerbook and it solved the problem. The corruption was caused by a lack of power (from the laptop) to the P25 back. The images looked exactly like Ashley's in this thread. The problem only tends to happen after the powerbook's batteries get a bit older (mine were about a year with pretty heavy use). No problems at all with the new batts, or when you plug into a power source.
I've also never had this problem until recently and tried everything to figure this out inc. all mentioned in the this thread.

Check EP Levines in Boston: http://www.cameras.com/
You need a shop to fedex to your location and they may do it.

These guys rent the 15\" PB batteries (and photo gear) and should be able to fedex to your location:
TREC RENTALS (NYC)
800-622-1941

Also, Apple may have a store in Boston somewhere by now.
Michael2

Postby Ashley11 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:11 am

Picked up two new batteries in a little town in the middle of no-where, on route to Boston.
Good news, over the past two days everything has been 100% :)

Can't understand why the PowerBook battery would cause this problem but there you have it.
Problem solved - with 7 jobs to complete in 10 days, while in the States, I was pulling my hair out as you can imagine - what a nightmare on day one.

Many thanks to everyone for your speedy response.

Cheers
Ashley :)
Ashley11

Postby Dillon » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:44 am

An excellent alternative to pouring dollars on extra batteries is the \"portable AC power pack\". There are many on the market. Plug your laptop power cord directly into the pack.

After experiencing the dreaded pink on black stripe shots, I bought two of these units. On my last shoot one unit lasted 8 hours. The recharge time is slow (a full day) therefore I switch back over to unit 2 when shooting consecutive days.
Last edited by Dillon on Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dillon

Postby FlemmingHandberg » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:53 am

Hi

Phase One's general reccomendation on Powerbooks and P-backs are one of the following:

1. Use a Phase One Power Pack (A repeater and an additional Battery)
2. Use the 6 to 4 pin Firewire converter plug and then use the battery from the P-back to supply power to the back.

Actually we are not supporting that the powerbook can shoot tethered without some kind of tweaking the power from the computer to the back, writing this i will admit that a lot of people do never have problems in doing that - but i have seen plenty of cases where too low power generate bad or black images.

Any of the 2 above items can be purchased at the Phase One dealer.
FlemmingHandberg
Crew
Crew

Postby Michael2 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:17 pm

Really? This problem came as a big suprise to a photographer who keeps on top of his gear!
Where does Phase One state this known issue? The back plugged into a laptop should just work without buying a $150 converter plug, shouldn't it?
The problems I had were on a small job and could have been much worse if it was a more demanding client / subject. The more equipment takes you off guard, the more you mistrust it!
Anything else that I should know?

1. Use a Phase One Power Pack (A repeater and an additional Battery)
2. Use the 6 to 4 pin Firewire converter plug and then use the battery from the P-back to supply power to the back.

Actually we are not supporting that the powerbook can shoot tethered without some kind of tweaking the power from the computer to the back, writing this i will admit that a lot of people do never have problems in doing that - but i have seen plenty of cases where too low power generate bad or black images. [/quote]
Michael2

Next

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs