Design of the three different P25/20 backs/question

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

Design of the three different P25/20 backs/question

Postby eleanorbrown » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:10 am

From the photos of the backs i've seen that are available on the internet, the back for the Hasselblad seems different from the backs for the other two cameras--Mamiya and contax. For instance, there is no cover over the firewire port on the mamiya back whereas there is a cover on the Hasselblad back. I know the Hasselblad back is two toned black/silver--that's not what i'm referring to. From photos i've seen there seems to be a cover over the battery on the hassy back, but not one for the mamiya.

Are the three backs the same except for the attachment connections, or are they, in fact, different? many thanks, eleanor
eleanorbrown
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:57 am

Postby FlemmingHandberg » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:20 am

No we have not introduced a FireWire Cover to our P-backs. All backs are delivered without a cover even though it might be a good idea.
FlemmingHandberg
Crew
Crew
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:55 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Postby eleanorbrown » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:55 pm

I agree about the firewire cover. I am a landsape photographer and photograph in all kinds of weather. how does this back hold up in rain and or snow or water spray from a waterfall?

also, are the three backs identical in design? As I mentioned the hasselblad back appears different from the other two camera backs. In the photos of that back it appears to have not only a firewire cover but also the back design appears to differ. Please explain. thanks, eleanor
eleanorbrown
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:57 am

covers

Postby erikhoffman » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:11 pm

I also noticed that it is the only device without the covers on both connectors below the cf card

these are very important to keep this expensive back lasting longer

does the p25 back comes in the original box with protective clear material on the screen which found on all mobile phoe for example

Erik Hoffman
User avatar
erikhoffman
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:20 am
Location: london

Re: covers

Postby eleanorbrown » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:48 pm

Eric, I'm glad to hear that someone else has noticed the difference in design. All the connections, including the battery seem to be covered in the Hassy model, but nothing seems to be covered in the other two models, at least in the photos i've seen on the internet. I'm having a hard time getting my questions answered. Having protection on this back is especially important to me since i work outdoors in all weather conditions. eleanor


erikhoffman wrote:I also noticed that it is the only device without the covers on both connectors below the cf card

these are very important to keep this expensive back lasting longer

does the p25 back comes in the original box with protective clear material on the screen which found on all mobile phoe for example

Erik Hoffman
eleanorbrown
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:57 am

Postby FlemmingHandberg » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:42 pm

Could someone send a link to these images?

Thank you
FlemmingHandberg
Crew
Crew
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:55 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re:

Postby eleanorbrown » Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:38 pm

Hi Flemming, please see links below. thanks eleanor

http://www.vistek.ca/proCentre/Phase/

http://phaseone.com/content/pressinfo/p ... mages.aspx

http://globalimaginginc.com/equipment_i ... _p25.shtml


FlemmingHandberg wrote:Could someone send a link to these images?

Thank you
eleanorbrown
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:57 am

Postby FlemmingHandberg » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:46 am

Hi - i have investigated this and my conclusion is that there currently is no cover to the fire wire connector.
FlemmingHandberg
Crew
Crew
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:55 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Postby eleanorbrown » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:44 pm

Hi flemming, have you read all my questions and concerns? you seem to be focused only on the firewire cover but there are other diffences. The Hassy back had a cover over the battery and it also doesn't seem to have plug in connections that are showing to the extent the other backs do. all this adds up to better protection from the weather--snow, rain, blowing sand, water spray, etc.

i am trying to find out if all these backs are exactly the same and if so, which picture of the backs is correct.?? The Hassy back seems to be much better insulated from weather conditions. I would be interested in the Mamiya back however. PLEASE find out why the photos are so different and just which one is correct. ie: if, in fact, all the backs are EXACTLY the same, which photo is correct. and finally how do they hold up to bad weather conditions? are they sealed?
many many thanks! eleanor
eleanorbrown
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:57 am

Postby Jacob11 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:09 pm

Eleanor,

The Hasselblad H1 P25 picture -- so commonly seen on the internet and in Phase One literature from the very first pieces of literature on the back -- is actually a mock-up, designed to be something looked at but in no way usable; very honestly the CF 'door' was only really molded and didn't actually open, and there was no place to put the battery. Not to mention it was a thousand times lighter. :)

The pictures of the Hasselblad V system and Mamiya 645 cameras are much closer to the reality of what the final P-series for H1 back looks like. Sorry to be the bearer of ill news; the P-series is not as weather-tight as the model we all saw, if just because the true number of connections and space for the battery weren't accounted for.

Right out of the case, no, it does not include any of those covers you have mentioned, on any model of the back. It seems like a shame to do it, but I tape the connectors I don't need to use. The battery compartment itself is rather tight with the battery in there; if you try and use a Canon genuine variant of the battery, in fact, you might have problems getting it in there.

Hope this answers some of the questions at least. I can't state anything official about weather-tightness, as I am not with Phase One. I'll let the official guys field that one. :)
Jacob11
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:36 pm
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Re:

Postby eleanorbrown » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:29 pm

Jacob, THANK YOU!! :-) you have answered my questions about the design of the back. I would like to hear from the Phase One folks about whether I can use this back in at least drizzle or snow. What an expensive back to be non- weather proof and have no covers on the connections. When Phase One went portable they started to appeal to a broader range of clientele---landscape photographers who hike in the back country now have access to portable back solutions. but we need to have some weather proofness.

Can anyone from phase one expound on this (or anyone else for that matter)? thanks again, eleanor
http://www.eleanorbrown.com

jwatters wrote:Eleanor,

The Hasselblad H1 P25 picture -- so commonly seen on the internet and in Phase One literature from the very first pieces of literature on the back -- is actually a mock-up, designed to be something looked at but in no way usable; very honestly the CF 'door' was only really molded and didn't actually open, and there was no place to put the battery. Not to mention it was a thousand times lighter. :)

The pictures of the Hasselblad V system and Mamiya 645 cameras are much closer to the reality of what the final P-series for H1 back looks like. Sorry to be the bearer of ill news; the P-series is not as weather-tight as the model we all saw, if just because the true number of connections and space for the battery weren't accounted for.

Right out of the case, no, it does not include any of those covers you have mentioned, on any model of the back. It seems like a shame to do it, but I tape the connectors I don't need to use. The battery compartment itself is rather tight with the battery in there; if you try and use a Canon genuine variant of the battery, in fact, you might have problems getting it in there.

Hope this answers some of the questions at least. I can't state anything official about weather-tightness, as I am not with Phase One. I'll let the official guys field that one. :)
eleanorbrown
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:57 am

Phase One P-back design

Postby Espen Beck » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:26 pm

The images of the H 101 - P 25 for Hasselblad H1 are early design models, you can now find images of all four versions of the P 25 here:

http://www.phaseone.com/content/p1digitalbacks/p-series.aspx

We are constantly updating our web site and press material, to be able to answer customer and press curiosity and enquiries, so look out for the new datasheets and images in the near future.

The answer the questions raised here about the water/weather proof ness of the P 25's I can start with stating that all the four models have the same resistance or non resistance to water, snow or dust.

The P 25 for Hasselblad V, Mamiya 645AFD and Contax 645 all have the same exterior from the front plate and backwards, whereas the H 101 - P 25 for Hasselblad H1 differs and its designed to exactly match the colors and lines of the H1.

When we are talking about bringing the equipment outside or in a misty environment you should have no problems operating the equipment unless its pouring down with water.
The Phase One P-backs are designed to fit the medium format cameras and these also does not have specific weather condition protection.

When the Mamiya, Contax, or Hasselblad P-backs are operated in a wet environment with water pouring down, or in a very dusty environment, say a sandstorm or similar, precautions has to be taken to ovoid damaging the equipment.

In general the P-back can however withstand slight rain drops, snow or misty weather, and if the CF-port gate is not opened dust and water is not very likely to get into the interior of the backs unless it is heavily exposed to water or dust.
Espen Beck
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:28 am
Location: Copenhagen Denmark

Postby eleanorbrown » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:46 pm

Any chance Phase One might provide covers for the external exposed connections on the backs any time soon that could be retrofitted? thanks, eleanor brown
eleanorbrown
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:57 am


Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests