New Phase backs/6.8 micron pixel question

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

New Phase backs/6.8 micron pixel question

Postby eleanorbrown » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:19 pm

I have a P25 back which has a 9 micron pixel. are the new chips (which only have a 6.8 micron pixel) going to be as noise free and have as high a dynamic range as the current P25 chip? If so, how is this possible? Just curious and thanks, Eleanor
eleanorbrown

Postby FlemmingHandberg » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:48 pm

Hi

Had to consult the cheif of development - here's the answer:

Yes, the new P30 and P45 backs will be as noise free and have a dynamic range which is equivalent to P25. As the new backs have pixels which are smaller than the ones in P25, this was quite an engineering challenge which had to be overcome. The dynamic range and noise level is related to how many electrons can be stored in a pixel compared to the noise in each pixel when it is read out of the image sensor. Typically a big pixel can store more electrons than a small pixel. In the new image sensors the smaller pixel size is compensated by using parts of the pixel for electron storage which in previous image sensors had to be left unused due to technical limitations. Along with lower noise levels due to improved amplifier design this enables the new backs to achieve the same impressive dynamic range and low noise level as you have become used to with P25.

--------
Hope that was enough answer for you....
FlemmingHandberg
Crew
Crew

Postby eleanorbrown » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:16 pm

Hi Flemming and many thanks for your research and reply which is very helpful information. I have a couple of other questions. i have read a lot about the use of \"microlenses\" over the sensor to intensify electron transmission. Do these new Kodak/Phase One sensors use this technology or not? also, why has Phase decided not to go with the 800 iso in the P45 back? Thanks so much once again for you help! Eleanor
eleanorbrown

Postby FlemmingHandberg » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:35 am

Yes - in the new P30 there is a CCD which are equipped with microlenses. This will however decrease the use of that back on large format cameras as there is higher risk of colorcast because of the lesser angle the light can be read on this CCD compared to a \"normal\" CCD.

The P21 and P45 have \"normal\" CCD's - all of them from Kodak.
FlemmingHandberg
Crew
Crew

P30, micro lenses and wide angle lenses

Postby Guy G » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:53 pm

What was the primary reason to go with micro lenses on the P30? In your releases you mention that the P30 will have problems with wide-angle lenses. How wide can we go without problems? Will my MF 45mm work without problems? Thanks for the reply.
Guy G

I also want to know about wide angle capacities of P30

Postby Jrgen1 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:20 pm

I have ordered a P30 back for my Hasselblad H1. Will it be possible for me to use a 50mm lens with P30 on a H1 ?
Do U deliver P30 basic with a Lens cast calibration kit, since it might have problems with WA lenses ?

I am getting worried, have I chosen the right back for Portrait photography ?

Is it possible to see any sample files from a P30 back ?

Lots of questions, but the back cost lots and I want to make sure I have chosen the right back...
Jrgen1

Postby Ulf » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:49 am

Jörgen.

You should not be worried.
Need less to say anything more :D

Ulf
Crew
Crew

Two exposure

Postby Berni » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:22 am

The flyer for the P45 describes the resolution with \"two exposure\" as 10600x7216 pixels. Is this a \"multishot technique\" integrated in the digital back or does it work another way?

Regards, Bernhard
Berni

Postby Ulf » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:10 pm

This you can get by using the flexadapter on a large format camera.
This is like a sliding adapter with two positions and you will take a shot at both postions. Software will after that have a feature which will help you stitch the images togetter.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Two exposure

Postby Berni » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:31 am

Thank you very much! Which large format camera are supported? All those with international back?
Berni

Postby Ulf » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:50 pm

The large format (4x5) fittings that can be orded is SInar, Horseman, Toyo, Cambo, Linhof and Arca Swiss.
I do not know what you refer to when you say \"International back\"
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs