Firmware upgrades

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 AF and Mamiya 645AFDIII Camera

Firmware upgrades

Postby Henry1 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:05 pm

It is my understanding that PO 645 body needs to be sent back to factory for firmware upgrades. On the other hand, Mamiya's agents are able to locally upgrade AFD III as well as PO 645 firmwares. Why is this the case? In fact I know of Mamiya's distributor charging PO 645 owners for firmware upgrade since they are able to turnaround the job in hours. Irony isn't it?
Henry1

Re: Firmware upgrades

Postby Ulf » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:49 am

Hello

This is not really the case, it is depending on where you live in the world.
Some dealer have this equipment and some do not. In many countries the same facility that does the Mamiya is doing the Phase One body. In some other countries this is not the case since agreements regarding service of the Phase One body vs. Mamiya is not yet in place.
All of this is changing and this will harmonize as we move along.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby Henry1 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:45 pm

Hello Ulf.

Am I correct that once things are regularized, Mamiya distributors may provide free firmware upgrades for the P1 645 body and lenses?
Henry1

Postby olaf3 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:56 am

Hi
I have a Phase AFD3 camera and P45+.
1. What is the latest firmware version that I should have?
2. How can I check what firmware I have on my camera? I can't find any instructions in the manual.

Thanks
olaf3

Postby Jon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:40 pm

Current body firmware is 1.5 To check the firmware see this article: http://www.phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Su ... 20-%20Main
Jon
Crew
Crew

Postby olaf3 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:40 pm

Hi Jon
OK I now see I'm on v1.0.
Can you point me to a reference which describes what the firmware upgrade to v1.5 will achieve?

Thx for the swift reply.

Best
olaf3

Postby Jon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:31 pm

Olaf,

Sorry we do not have camera firmware release notes on our website. The firmware update will reduce shutter lag somewhat, improve communication between lenses and the body and also fixes several bugs. It also enables control from capture one with a P65+. It's definitely a worthwhile upgrade from your current Firmware. To have it done please contact your dealer and they should be able to arrange a fast turnaround for you.
Jon
Crew
Crew

Postby Milos2 » Sat May 23, 2009 8:27 am

IS THERE A CHARGE FOR FIRMWARE UPGRADES?

WHY IS PHASE/MAMIYA NOT ADDRESSING THE BATTERY DRAIN ISSUE???
A $4500 CAMERA IS NOT SUPPOSED TO DRAIN BATTERIES ALL THE TIME. THIS TASK IS RESERVED FOR CRAPPY CAMERAS, NOT PROFESSIONAL TOOLS.

IS THE NEW FIRMWARE CORRECTING THIS??
Milos2

Postby Ulf » Tue May 26, 2009 8:53 am

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4656

Please read point 11
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby Milos2 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:37 am

ulf,

i wasn't shouting. my caps lock stayed on. you didn't answer my question. instead you were trying to teach me manners. i doubt this is the true purpose of your existence, to teach me manners, that is.....

my camera still eats batteries like crazy this is n-o-t what a $4k camera should do, shouting or not, caps lock or not.....
Milos2

Postby Ulf » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:13 pm

Battery is much depending on functions used, setting of AF/AE etc.

Functionality test can be done by dealer to establish if camera functions with in expected parameters.
Capacity is some what limited by the AA batteries. in a VA kit double inserts comes with and good rechargeable batteries are not a big investment.

Secondary for much better duration a battery grip is in the pipeline which will use the same batteries as the camera back is using.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby Frank Doorhof » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:10 pm

I would love to see the option to update firmware more easily in the future.
I had to pay almost 300.00 US for the upgrade because the Dutch importer is not willing to do it under warranty because he has to send them to Germany who charges that ammount according to him. And according to him upgrading firmware is not necessary.

Because my camera had been crashing for 5 months (read I could shoot 20 frames and than it crashed) and I was fed up with it I pushed and demanded a free upgrade and finally got it.

It has not been crashing that often now but still needs app once or twice a day a reboot (removing the batteries).

Back is a Leaf Aptus 22.

I'm looking forward to the new Phase one camera, recently my mirror broke down and I had to miss my camera for over 6 weeks, so I will probably buy the new one and keep this one as backup and hope the new camera will work better with the digital back.
Shooting for a few weeks with a RZ67ProII and 5DMKII is fun but you start to miss the 645 :D

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof

Postby Ulf » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:16 pm

Frank

If your camera was under warranty, irrelevant if it was a Phase One or a Mamiya, then this is free of charge and the dealer has no right to charge you more then shipping which is not 300 USD. The firmware update cost is covered by Phase One/Mamiya

IN regards to compatibility I can not answer since Aptus is not my "specialty"

We are simplifying the firmware update procedure drastically with the new camera.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby Frank Doorhof » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:51 am

I had big problems with my dealer (which is the importer for the Netherlands) over this and other issues.
At the time this played I had not been able to use the camera as it should be for 5 months, and it was 5 months old at that time so well under warranty.
According to him however firmware upgrades are not necessary and are never ever covered under warranty, he told me "think about how much it would cost us if all our customers wanted a free upgrade whenever it's released" to be honest that destroyed my faith I had in Mamiya, these are expensive tools and tools that are used to earn money, they should always be working.

I'm now waiting for the new Phase One camera and will invest in that camera, and keep the 645AFD/III as backup hopefully to never use it again.
Frank Doorhof

Postby Ulf » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:59 am

Frank

I am sorry to hear that, the statement:

"think about how much it would cost us if all our customers wanted a free upgrade whenever it's released"

is quite interesting, in one way he is right, but in another big way he is not.
In the IT world you quite often say "Don't fix something that isn't broken"

So in this aspect; If you don't have a problem with you gear then no update is required and if you want it anyway, (arguable) he could charge since the product has not failed you and warranty does not kick in.

But if something isn't working right and the firmware fixes it, isn't it to be considered a warranty repair even if the repair is just a firmware update and not a physical part being replaced? In my mind, absolutely, that is why a new firmware has been release in the first place.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Next

Return to Phase One 645AF and Mamiya 645AFDIII