Where to get new focus screen for my 645AF?

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 AF and Mamiya 645AFDIII Camera

Where to get new focus screen for my 645AF?

Postby Hillie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi all,

I recently picked up a 2nd hand 645AF with a P20+ (and am still enjoying it every day! :)), but I would like to use a few lenses that require manual focusing. Since I used to work, way back, with a Kiev 60 with a nice split center prism, I was wondering if this type of focus screen was still available for this camera.

I saw that brightscreen sells them, but I read very mixed reviews on quality. And to be frank, I don't want to pay $280 for a little piece of plastic that comes with less than stellar expectations. Does Phase One or Mamiya have their own brand ones? What are the experiences with them? Which types are available? Price indication?

Many questions, I know. :) I am in the SF Bay Area, so pretty close to Bear Images, in case they sell these things as well.

Thanks!
Hilmar
Hillie

Re: Where to get new focus screen for my 645AF?

Postby Drew » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:41 pm

This may be of help when using manual focus....
http://www.josephholmes.com/news-sharpmediumformat.html
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Hillie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:51 pm

Hi Drew,

Thanks, but the manual and the website talk about changing focus screens. I'd prefer to use the wedge/split thingie to get best focus, the magnifier might be a nice second.
Hillie

Postby Hillie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:34 pm

Just did a quick peek on the Mamiya site (should've thought of that before :mrgreen:), and there is a C-type screen, which basically has a microprism center. Either one would work OK for me I think, but unfortunately, I only see the two A-type (matte and matte-with-grid) screens available through the web. Time to get on the phone I guess. :)

Brightscreen only has horizontal split prisms, unfortunately no 45 degree one, so I'll check out the Mamiya options. Will report if I know more.
Hillie

Return to Phase One 645AF and Mamiya 645AFDIII