End to Canon tethering problems?

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x for Mac and Windows

Re: End to Canon tethering problems?

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:27 pm

I noticed good connectivity with Mountain Lion. However, once disconnected or powered off while CO 644 is running, the software is unable to reconnect.

In other words, the reconnect issue still persists.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby John60 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:08 am

This seams to work beautifully! Thanks!!
John60

Postby NNN634846697586131276 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:35 am

I just followed the above work around and applied it to 6.4.3 and the Canon 5D Mark 3 works just fine. You will have to follow the software start then turn the Canon Camera on after the software launch or you will get connection issues. So If you become disconnected at any point. Just remember software then camera should do the trick. So when do we expect to see Phase One update C1Pro to 6.4.5 which will have this work around pre-installed?

The connectivity issue is something that is not new to C1Pro I have recently worked on Mac OS 10.6 and had the same protocol of starting the software (6.4.2) and then the Canon 5D Mark 2 on one system but not another with exactly the same specs. I have used Phase products since 2002 it's a solid platform even if they have some hiccups.

Glad that this system is finally operational.

Mac Book Pro Retina Display
OS 10.8
C1Pro 6.4.3
NNN634846697586131276

Postby GoranLjubuncic » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:56 am

Paul_E wrote:Hi,

This is a description of a workaround for Canon shooters who have problems tethering to Capture One Pro 6.4.4, in combination with OS X Lion and Mountain Lion.

The current state (begin October 2012) is that Canon has released EOS Utility (2.12.0) with both Lion and Mountain Lion support. However, the new Canon SDK (2.11.3) released in parallel for 3rd party developers only supports Lion, not Mountain Lion. SDK stands for Software Development Kit.

What I propose and explain in this post is how you get the best from Canon and put it into Capture One Pro: copy the SDK part of EOS Utility and place it into Capture One Pro 6.4.4.

Prerequisites
You need administrative privileges on your system (be an admin, not regular user).

Process
The process involves the following steps
1) download and install EOS Utility 2.12.0 (or later)
2) get the SDK from EOS Utility
3) replace the SDK in Capture One Pro 6.4.4 with the newer version from EOS Utility

Step 1
Go to your localized Canon site and download and install EOS Utility 2.12.0 updater or later version. If you do not have already EOS Utility installed on your computer, you only need to insert your Canon EOS Digital Solution disk in your CD/DVD drive for detection and the updater will install the software.

Step 2
In Finder, go to the EOS Utility program icon (Applications/Canon Utilities/EOS Utility). As you might know, this a folder with subfolders.

Right-click on the application (do not start it up), select "Show Package Contents" (SPC).
The path to the SDK folder is:
EOS Utility (SPC) > Contents > Frameworks > EDSDK.framework > Versions > A

Copy the entire contents of folder A to a temporary location (Desktop for example). This should be 4 items.

Step 3
In Finder look up Capture One in the Applications folder.

Tip
Before we proceed, you might want to rename it, for example into "Capture One - Canon". This allows you to install a second and unaltered version of Capture One 6 in the Applications folder as a backup and fall back scenario. This also prevents you from accidentally overwriting the modified version when installing an update.

As with EOS Utility, do not start it but right-click in Finder on Capture One and select "Show Package Contents" (SPC). Now we drill into it until we find the SDK folder:
Capture One (SPC) > Contents > MacOS > CaptureCoreServer (SPC) > Contents > Frameworks < CaptureCore > Canon > ED-SDK > EDSDK.framework > Versions > A

Copy the the 4 items from the A folder of EOS Utility to this Capture One A folder to replace 4 items with the same name.

Close the Finder window and start Capture One, connect your camera and shoot tethered.

A final note: newer Canon SDK components may affect performance of older Canon DSLR tethered shooting. Be aware when you have a 1D/Ds mkII or older or a 5D (1st model) for example.

I sincerely hope this helps. It works for me with a Canon 5D mkII (no mkIII around here) on 10.8.2. Let us know what your experience is.

Thank you very much. Simple indeed :)
GoranLjubuncic

Postby Juliette1 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:52 pm

Thanks so much I followed the steps and it works perfectly! thanks for providing such clear and easy to follow instructions!
Juliette1

Postby SAlessi » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:05 pm

So how am i supposed to install EOS utility without an optical drive? the canon website is driving me nuts and an online workaround I found doesn't work for the newest version of EOS utility. Help?
SAlessi

Postby SAlessi » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:07 pm

I think I may have found an answer to my own question:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/arti ... -The-49575
SAlessi

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:06 pm

SAlessi wrote:So how am i supposed to install EOS utility without an optical drive? the canon website is driving me nuts and an online workaround I found doesn't work for the newest version of EOS utility. Help?

Occasionally, Canon makes full installations of their software available for download. The recently introduce ZoomBrowser EX is one example. By downloading and installing this software, other updaters like for EOS Utility might run without the need for the original Canon CD/DVD.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NNN634687104152226236 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:55 am

Thank you very much! Awesome! Working on 10.7.5 and Capture One 6.4.4 with Canon EOS 5D MK III and tethering finally works again! Sadly Phase One didn't come up with any solution....
NNN634687104152226236

Postby David » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:51 am

Works Perfectly. Simple to follow instructions. Greatly Appreciated. AWSOME.....!!!
David

Postby NNN634683366770267232 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:21 am

Such a slap in the face to see Capture One 7 seven released when the version I payed for has stopped tethering on my Mac.

I can see where Phase has spent there time

thanks for nothing !!
NNN634683366770267232

Postby Drew » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:38 am

NNN634683366770267232 wrote:Such a slap in the face to see Capture One 7 seven released when the version I payed for has stopped tethering on my Mac.

I can see where Phase has spent there time

thanks for nothing !!

Sorry to disappoint you but it is well covered in the forum. We simply cannot support Canon Tethering in 10.7.5 or 10.8.x until Canon releases an SDK, its that straight forward. Ultimately it is up to them and not us, we spent our time pleading with them to release an SDK but unfortunately it didn't happen before we were ready to release Capture One 7 and if WE were to use the workaround listed above it may not please Canon. :wink:
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Richard 1 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:48 pm

Hi,

This all sounds amazing. Thank you whoever figured this out. The workaround looks pretty easy.

I was wondering if my new Canon 1Dx will work in C1 tethered to the new Retina 15" MacBook Pro Thunderbolt. I know there's issues for the C1 digital backs using fire to Thunderbolt (using an adapter I hear works but slows everything down), but how about tethering with Canon which uses USB 2? Even though the new Retina 15" MacBook Pro uses USB 3 it should work downward to USB 2, right?

Anybody know the answer to this? I have been searching the web for an answer.

Please let me know if you hear something about this richard@humephoto.com

Thanks,

Richard
Richard 1

Postby Gretelill » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi.
I have launched Capture One version 7.
Camerea is CanonMark 5DIII.
Operating system OSX10.8.2.
I followed the instruction (screenshots), but maybe because I have a trial of latest Capture One, I could not copy it in CaptureCoreServer (it was not all the stuff there).
Gretelill.Norway
Gretelill

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:17 am

Gretelill wrote:Hi.
I have launched Capture One version 7.
Camerea is CanonMark 5DIII.
Operating system OSX10.8.2.
I followed the instruction (screenshots), but maybe because I have a trial of latest Capture One, I could not copy it in CaptureCoreServer (it was not all the stuff there).
Gretelill.Norway

There is a similar procedure for CO7. Works on trail too. You can find it here.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=13071
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x Software