End to Canon tethering problems?

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x for Mac and Windows

End to Canon tethering problems?

Postby GoranLjubuncic » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:21 am

It appears Canon have released yesterday update to their EOS Utility.
EOS Utility 2.12.0 Updater for Mac OS X 10/10/12 19.81 MB

Finally an end to Canon tethering problems with Lions?
GoranLjubuncic

Re: End to Canon tethering problems?

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:39 am

Thanks for notifying.

Could help Canon users in a workaround with EOS Utility. Now, Canon has to release a new SDK after which 3rd party developers like Phase One can implement the cure.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby GoranLjubuncic » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:09 pm

I thought they were supposed to be released at the same time because obviously the new EOS Utility uses the new SDK. Or am I getting something wrong?
GoranLjubuncic

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:02 pm

From Canon's point of view, they would release their own software first. Next, they rework their SDK and release it. Each software product has its own release schedule (in general) and I have been looking but have not seen an updated SDK.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Drew » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:23 pm

Here is the link to watch....
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/ ... k_homepage
No update since July of this year.
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:31 pm

In fact I was look here...
http://www.didp.canon-europa.com
and found out the Canon did release a new SDK.
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Drew » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:53 am

Paul_E wrote:...Canon did release a new SDK.

The latest released SDK is 2.11.3, which still only lists 10.6.8-10.7 as the supported Mac OS.
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:12 pm

Drew wrote:
Paul_E wrote:...Canon did release a new SDK.

The latest SDK is 2.11.3, which still only lists 10.6.8-10.7 as the supported Mac OS.

Thanks for the heads-up Drew. This is pretty disappointing, to say the least.
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby GoranLjubuncic » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:17 pm

I'd say VERY disappointing.
GoranLjubuncic

Postby Drew » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:59 pm

Paul_E wrote:...This is pretty disappointing, to say the least.

GoranLjubuncic wrote:I'd say VERY disappointing.

I couldn't agree more, and I am sure Canon could use a push to release a supported version.

In the meantime, perhaps some smart forum goer could explain how certain files might be migrated from EOS utilities 2.12 and placed in Capture One 6.4.4 and perhaps solve some conflicts... perhaps :wink:
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:24 pm

Hi,

This is a description of a workaround for Canon shooters who have problems tethering to Capture One Pro 6.4.4, in combination with OS X Lion and Mountain Lion.

The current state (begin October 2012) is that Canon has released EOS Utility (2.12.0) with both Lion and Mountain Lion support. However, the new Canon SDK (2.11.3) released in parallel for 3rd party developers only supports Lion, not Mountain Lion. SDK stands for Software Development Kit.

What I propose and explain in this post is how you get the best from Canon and put it into Capture One Pro: copy the SDK part of EOS Utility and place it into Capture One Pro 6.4.4.

Prerequisites
You need administrative privileges on your system (be an admin, not regular user).

Process
The process involves the following steps
1) download and install EOS Utility 2.12.0 (or later)
2) get the SDK from EOS Utility
3) replace the SDK in Capture One Pro 6.4.4 with the newer version from EOS Utility

Step 1
Go to your localized Canon site and download and install EOS Utility 2.12.0 updater or later version. If you do not have already EOS Utility installed on your computer, you only need to insert your Canon EOS Digital Solution disk in your CD/DVD drive for detection and the updater will install the software.

Step 2
In Finder, go to the EOS Utility program icon (Applications/Canon Utilities/EOS Utility). As you might know, this a folder with subfolders.

Control-click on the application (do not start it up), and select "Show Package Contents" (SPC) from the action menu.
The path to the SDK folder is:
EOS Utility (SPC) > Contents > Frameworks > EDSDK.framework > Versions > A

Copy (not drag) the entire contents of folder A to a temporary location (Desktop for example). This should be 4 items.

Step 3
In Finder look up Capture One in the Applications folder.

Tip
Before we proceed, you might want to rename it, for example into "Capture One - Canon". This allows you to install a second and unaltered version of Capture One 6 in the Applications folder as a backup and fall back scenario. This also prevents you from accidentally overwriting the modified version when installing an update.

As with EOS Utility, do not start it but right-click in Finder on Capture One and select "Show Package Contents" (SPC). Now we drill into it until we find the SDK folder:
Capture One (SPC) > Contents > MacOS > CaptureCoreServer (SPC) > Contents > Frameworks < CaptureCore > Canon > ED-SDK > EDSDK.framework > Versions > A

Copy the the 4 items from the A folder of EOS Utility to this Capture One A folder to replace 4 items with the same name.

Close the Finder window and start Capture One, connect your camera and shoot tethered.

A final note: newer Canon SDK components may affect performance of older Canon DSLR tethered shooting. Be aware when you have a 1D/Ds mkII or older or a 5D (1st model) for example.

I sincerely hope this helps. It works for me with a Canon 5D mkII (no mkIII around here) on 10.8.2. Let us know what your experience is.
Last edited by Paul_Steunebrink on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Mark178 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:58 pm

Yikes! This is too much for me. Maybe Capture One can reissue the software with this stuff already in it called Capture One Canon?

Also, I just read on Apple's forum that Light Room's tethered operation suddenly just started working again! How does that happen?

https://discussions.apple.com/message/2 ... 6#20058539
Mark178

Postby SAlessi » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:50 pm

Mark178 wrote:Yikes! This is too much for me. Maybe Capture One can reissue the software with this stuff already in it called Capture One Canon?

Also, I just read on Apple's forum that Light Room's tethered operation suddenly just started working again! How does that happen?

https://discussions.apple.com/message/2 ... 6#20058539

Don't be intimidated Mark! This is a really clear step by step guide. Just go through it slowly and you won't have any problems. People on here will surely help you out if have questions on the way.

Of course, still a bummer but so it goes. reminds me of back in the day when everyone wanted to keep using C1 3.7 but the new Canon cameras only tethered to C1 v4 which was a mess. Had to constantly Apple-Tab back and forth between EOS Utility and C1.... but now im just reminiscing and confirming i've been teching too long.
SAlessi

Postby Drew » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:02 pm

Mark178 wrote:Also, I just read on Apple's forum that Light Room's tethered operation suddenly just started working again! How does that happen?

Lightroom is not dependent on Canons software. As such it should never have stopped working in the 10.8 OS.
Also, this is why the tethered capture is slower.
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby ianmac » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:15 pm

Paul_E wrote:Hi,

I sincerely hope this helps. It works for me with a Canon 5D mkII (no mkIII around here) on 10.8.2. Let us know what your experience is.

Brilliant - it works!

I have just spent an hour testing tethered shooting with my Canon 1DX into CO 6.4.4 on OSX 10.8.1 on MacBook Pro 2012 (non Retina) and it has worked consistently with no crashing/errors so far.

I started Capture One with the 1DX turned off but connected to the laptop by USB cable. After CO has booted up, I turned the camera on and CO recognised it immediately and tethered shooting could start. I always use a powered USB hub (mine is a Belkin) to minimise errors although it seems to work fine without the hub on a short USB cable.

When I change Shutter, Aperture, ISO, Balance etc in the settings in the Camera tab in Capture One, the corresponding settings on the camera change as well!

I will do more testing tomorrow but I think I will have the confidence to shoot a job next week tethered from the 1DX on Mountain Lion at long last.

Many thanks Paul for your help, regards Ian (Manchester, UK)
Last edited by ianmac on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Mcr, UK
ianmac

Next

Return to Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x Software