Support Nikon D600

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x for Mac and Windows

Support Nikon D600

Postby NN634840889460336313UL » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi,

can you tell me when the Nikon D600 will be supported in C1?

Thx
NN634840889460336313UL

Re: Support Nikon D600

Postby Drew » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:20 pm

Unfortunately we do not provide ETA's on the forum.
Demand for this camera has been quite light but it is on our list of cameras we wish to support in the future.
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby NNN634375418839388047 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:00 am

Chalk me up as an interested party. Thanks.
NNN634375418839388047

Postby NN634840889460336313UL » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:33 am

Use Lightroom ... this works :)

bye
NN634840889460336313UL

Postby NNN634375418839388047 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:46 pm

Prefer Capture One, thanks.
NNN634375418839388047

Postby Knud Erik » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:55 am

Drew wrote:Unfortunately we do not provide ETA's on the forum.
Demand for this camera has been quite light but it is on our list of cameras we wish to support in the future.

I would like very much an ETA - and If you do not inform about it in this forum - where can I then get the information?

It seems to be an odd answer - saying that the demand for using D600 Nef files in Capture One is light. I am surprised it can be an issue whether or whether not to include Nikon D600 in Capture One.
Knud Erik

Postby Drew » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:20 pm

Support for the camera will come but demand sets the priority.
As demand is light, so is the priority.
We'll get there but there is no ETA and none will be provided on the forum or through a support case. I apologize for the vagueness but we simply can't promise to meet a deadline when it comes to camera support as there are likely to be unanticipated hurdles in the implementation process.
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby NNN634375418839388047 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:06 pm

How do you measure demand? As a D600 owner, do I request it through a formal channel?
NNN634375418839388047

Postby Drew » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:47 pm

NNN634375418839388047 wrote:How do you measure demand? As a D600 owner, do I request it through a formal channel?

Yes, this would be most helpful. Please create a support case and we will log it as a Feature Request.
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby mikekatz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi Drew

While I understand the economic reasoning of "there isn't much demand", there's another way to look at it.

Quite simply, the more cameras you support, the more users you will have. Conversely, the less cameras you support, the less users you will have.

There are also a bunch of users here who like Capture One, but who are forced into using other software (usually Lightroom), because one or other camera of theirs is not supported by you. This, of course, sparks the ever-renewing debates about which software is better, and, since almost all the cameras around are supported by Lightroom, you have an attrition of users over time who decide to just stick to one software package.

So, there's an economic reasoning, similar to yours of being demand-based, that your users have to live by (because you are making that decision for them) about whether to keep paying for two programs instead of one.

I really like the way CO works, and I like the default color rendition, but I never use it anymore. Why? Because you don't support my Fuji Xpro1. I'm an amateur, and I don't want to work with multiple programs, and I certainly don't want to keep upgrading CO and Lightroom when Lightroom supports every camera I am likely to buy.

I'm not sure how many users you have lost and continue to lose, but the fact is that this loss IS happening. Lightroom keeps on improving in terms of features and rendition, and it keeps on going down in price. It's getting to be a hard sell to use any other software, and, like it or not, the main reason is security - you know your camera WILL be supported, usually almost as soon as it is available.
Regards
Mike
mikekatz

Postby Drew » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:54 pm

Mike141 wrote:...Quite simply, the more cameras you support, the more users you will have. Conversely, the less cameras you support, the less users you will have...

Of course and in an ideal world we would like nothing better than to support all cameras thus gaining more customers.
But someone here has to BUILD support for it, and the time it takes them to properly create support costs time/money and that needs to come from somewhere.
As such, if we decide to build support for a camera that few people use we have invested heavily with no return and taken the available resources away from a camera that perhaps many people use.
In the end we cannot support all cameras as we do operate limited resources, as does everyone else.

The ultimate solution is quite simple, if you want support for a camera let us know through a support case. We will log the case and when the number of requests is high enough to re-prioritize, we'll try to find the resources to build support.
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby mikekatz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:26 pm

Drew wrote:Of course and in an ideal world we would like nothing better than to support all cameras thus gaining more customers.
But someone here has to BUILD support for it, and the time it takes them to properly create support costs time/money and that needs to come from somewhere.
As such, if we decide to build support for a camera that few people use we have invested heavily with no return and taken the available resources away from a camera that perhaps many people use.
In the end we cannot support all cameras as we do operate limited resources, as does everyone else.

Hi Drew
This isn't about me personally, I submitted a support case awhile ago.

I suppose continuing this debate is not productive, and it is after all your business.

One point, which we as outsiders are not privy too, is just how much this "heavy investment" is. Realistically, just how many copies of CO do you need to sell, or, the other way round, how many copies are you prepared to NOT sell, when you don't support a camera like the D600? I'm not asking you to give us that answer, I'm asking you to consider that answer for yourself.

I'm just saying that another approach to this is, take the knock upfront, and you will get the reward later. Build the subway or the rapid transit line, and around the stops you will find apartment buildings springing up to make use of the infrastructure. Until the infrastructure is there, the apartment buildings won't exist.

Thanks for engaging in this, and so quickly. I've made my point and you have made yours, so no need on my part to continue.
Regards
Mike
mikekatz

Postby Drew » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Mike141 wrote:... Build the subway or the rapid transit line, and around the stops you will find apartment buildings springing up to make use of the infrastructure. Until the infrastructure is there, the apartment buildings won't exist.

And if only 4 commuters out of thousands request a subway, do you invest and build it in hopes that the satisfied majority carpool crowd uses it or do you wait until there is a substantial demand? :wink:
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Jim MSP » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:28 pm

Drew wrote:
Mike141 wrote:... Build the subway or the rapid transit line, and around the stops you will find apartment buildings springing up to make use of the infrastructure. Until the infrastructure is there, the apartment buildings won't exist.

And if only 4 commuters out of thousands request a subway, do you invest and build it in hopes that the satisfied majority carpool crowd uses it or do you wait until there is a substantial demand? :wink:

And in many high tech business (where I come from), this is why you have a product manager who actually does market research.
You can't hope, and you shouldn't guess. And a company certainly cannot afford to do everything.

Actually, I sympathize a lot with CO, as the camera makers do you no favors by outputting multiple cameras, most often with different file formats per model. And as a user, I would expect a company like CO to actually test and verify that the software they sell actually performs as promised. This becomes costly and time consuming.

Personally, I'd like to see a very clear business model which is published which focuses more on performance than it does on volume of cameras supported.
In the end, you will have more satisfied users and a more profitable business.
Jim
Windows 10 Professional x64
i7 -8700 CPU @3.2GHz,
SSD , Physical Memory (RAM) 16.00 GB
CO 12 Pro, LR Classic
Jim MSP

Postby Knud Erik » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:20 pm

I still wonder how PhaseOne can hesitate to make Capture One work with Nikon D600 files - it is not just a random Nikon camera. It is one of Nikon new main cameras - and a substitute for D700. It is a camera that sooner or later have to be included in Capture One - so why hesitate.
Knud Erik

Next

Return to Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x Software